Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Moving To Texas- Houston Area *Update On Page 2* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761764)

heavenlyblessedmom 06-06-2009 07:40 PM

Moving To Texas- Houston Area *Update On Page 2*

My husband and I are planning to move to Texas in a couple of months. I have friends in the Houston area and that's where we're looking at moving. I'm currently trying to narrow down my list of apartments to look at when I go down and start apartment hunting. I'd really appreciate it if any of you could tell me of apartments within say, a 20 mile radius of Houston, that we should definitely look into, or definitely stay away from, or certain areas we should stay away from, or areas that would be a good place to live. Also, I'd love to chat with anyone who lives in the area, we're moving away from all our family and will only know a few people when we get down there. Thank you in advance!

vivamusika 06-07-2009 01:59 PM

Re: Moving To Texas- Houston Area

Hi and welcome to Houston,
We just moved here a few months ago and are loving it. We are living very near downtown in a lovely apartment community with lots of young families. It's called AMLI Memorial Heights. We found that some of the apartments we saw the people were a bit stand off-ish; but the gals here were so friendly, as were our neighbors (we were invited to a BBQ before we even signed the lease!). If you check us out and like AMLI, make sure you let me know and we'll be instant neighbor/friends :-)
God Bless,
Cathy Dietsch

aggiemom 06-08-2009 09:24 PM

We live in Katy...that is west Houston suburbs. I have been here for almost 20 yrs and I have lived here with my dh for 14. There are a lot of nice new apartment developments going up in the Katy area. The schools are top rated and the school district provides a lot of good programs. My kids were all in early intervention through the school district and theirs is the best in the city hands down. The medical care is great as well...my kids have a lot of medical needs, so we have been to drs all over this town. There is a great and active mother's group that I belong to and it is a great way to meet new people. There is a great outlet mall close by and lots of grocery stores and other stores nearby as well as great restaurants. It is far enough on the outskirts of Houston to not feel "big city" but close enough to be near to all the "big city" amenities.

Please feel free to PM me about anything and I will do my best to answer if you have any questions! Good luck!

hullabal98 06-26-2009 05:05 PM

born and raised in Houston (CyFair area) - depends on where you want to commute for work... but in general these areas are pretty good for schools and families: Klein, Tomball, Katy, Cy-Fair, some areas of Spring Branch, Clear Lake, Pearland, Sugarland

My mom, brothers, and sister in law are all teachers in various districts too so I can help you specifically with areas once you narrow down your search. My brother lives in an apartment off Jones Rd/Hwy 290 near Jersey Village. It's nice and not terribly expensive. My other brother and his family just bought their first house, but before that lived in a great complex off Hwy 290/Barker Cypress. My SIL lives in a townhome near Klein HS. There are some nice places closer to town, but they are a bit pricier too.

In general I would stay away from certain areas - but don't want to offend any mamas here so PM me if you want those places... :goodvibes:

karaintx 07-07-2009 02:04 PM

What area are you looking at moving to?? We just moved from a APT to a Townhome and our Townhome is less than our apt way!! :thumbsup: Let me know, my DH works downtown and he has a 20 minute (exact!) commute!

:hugs: Good luck!

achhabra 07-14-2009 04:00 PM

Hi,

My name is Angie and we live in a area of Houston called Copperfield ( it's also called Cy-Fair). It's off 290 and Hwy 6. It's a very nice place to raise kids. We live in a house but I have seen many apartments around the area. Some are new. Houston is very big. Good luck. Also, if you move in our area we have a great moms group/ playgroup and my good friend runs a group called Stroller Strides where moms excercise with babys or young kids in a jogger. It's cost money but it's a lot of fun.

Ahavati 07-14-2009 04:38 PM

HI! We live in Cypress on the border of Katy. We are also right next to Copperfield. Cy-fair schools are great! It's a nice area! As is Katy! We are renting a house as we needed 3 bedrooms and sometimes 3 bdrm apts can run as much or more than an apartment. There are a lot of mom groups in these areas too!

ManniesMom 07-16-2009 09:23 AM

Hi, I'm in spring/nw Houston!!! There's a HUGE difference between areas. It's better to look around close to where you might be working, although a lot of people do commute across town to live where they want to. :yuck: I don't like driving though. I work 290/beltway 8 area and my commute, including daycare is about 40 minutes, depending on traffic.

karaintx 07-18-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassB (Post 7832265)
HI! We live in Cypress on the border of Katy. We are also right next to Copperfield. Cy-fair schools are great! It's a nice area! As is Katy! We are renting a house as we needed 3 bedrooms and sometimes 3 bdrm apts can run as much or more than an apartment. There are a lot of mom groups in these areas too!

I agree!! We paid close to 1300.00 for a 3br/2 ba with a garage. :thumbsup:

hsieger 07-20-2009 06:01 PM

Welcome to Houston! Houston is a very large city - #4 in the US, so you definitely want to do your research first. I recommend finding a place near your work because traffic is very, very bad here. Pretty much, you want to stay away from the east or northeast side of Houston. There are patches of the southwest that I wouldn't recommend either. If you're looking to live in a suburban type setting, you have CyFair area (as mentioned in previous posts) in the Northwest, Kingwood and the Woodlands to the North, Katy area to the West, Pearland area to the South and the Clear Lake area to the Southeast closer to the coast. There are 2 loops that circle around Houston - the inner loop is 610 (aka "the Loop"). Homes and apartments there are pricey but convenient to downtown and the museum district. Then you have the outer loop which is officially called the Sam Houston Tollway but commonly referred to as Beltway 8 (the beltway is actually the service road that runs alongside the tollway). Apartments and homes outside the Loop, but inside the beltway are less expensive and a bit more suburban. Then homes/apartments outside the beltway get less costly, as you get further and further away from downtown. It's all a decision on how long you want to commute to work, how much you want to pay for rent/mortgage and what type of enviornment you want to live in (city vs. suburban). Hope this helps!