Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Informing all about detergent and dipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762)

Bridget Riedell 04-23-2006 03:53 PM

Informing all about detergent and dipes

I am so glad dswappers is up and running now! I've been having a horrible time, and noone to speak to who really understands:(

About a week ago, I noticed holes forming in my hemp diapers. I thought it was only in one place, but as I looked; it's on all of them in different places. I bought these new, been using them for about 4 weeks now and washing them once a day b/c I'm building my stash.

I contacted the nice WAHM who makes these. She was more than willing to replace them if it was due to the materials they used. Well, as I started researching the detergent I was using, I discovered some people have had problems with Oxi Clean. Apparently it can eat holes in natural fibers. Well, I was using Oxi Clean Baby and thought it was perfectly safe, but once I stopped using it; the damage seems to have come to a halt. Hmmm. Makes you wonder. What is sooooooooo irritating is I tried to call Oxi Clean and ask for the ingredient list in the detergent. They were very vague about the ingredients. They sent me a data sheet, and the ingredients weren't listed onthere either.

So, I guess I am simply informing all you mama/dads out there using cloth diapers. I can't be absolutely without a doubt sure, but just to be safe; I'd stay away from the OxiClean/OxiClean baby if using hemp. Now I have two hundred dollars in diapers that are falling apart:mad:

Just thought I'd share!

In Christ, Bridget

Samantha 04-23-2006 06:22 PM

Re: Informing all about detergent and dipes

I am sorry :( I have heard of this happening though. I dont touch oxyclean with a 10 foot pole when it comes to diapers.

mamas120 04-23-2006 06:36 PM

wow thanks for the heads up!! I have oxi clean but I only use it for our whites, and I was actually contemplating using it on the dipes glad I read this before I went and gave it a try! Sorry that you had to find out the hard way that really stinks!!! Did you tell oxi clean that it had ruined your dipes?

jenmamahen 04-23-2006 07:35 PM

Wow--I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for the heads up!

lovemygirls 04-23-2006 07:49 PM

wow!! Thanks for giving us a heads up. Sorry to hear that your out over $200.00 in dipes.:(

hfitz5051 04-23-2006 08:15 PM

Yikes! Good to know, thanks!

jessicad 04-23-2006 08:48 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. I was actually just thinking that I might try oxi-clean when I used up all my current detergent. Is it just natual fibers that people have had problems with?

I'm so sorry that you had to learn the hard way. :(

mommy2zander 04-23-2006 08:52 PM

This is good to know, thanks for sharing!! :D

Bridget Riedell 04-23-2006 09:44 PM

Glad I could help ya all!:D

In Christ, Bridget