Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I need recipes that use a lot of milk! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763738)

Chessie 06-09-2009 01:25 PM

I need recipes that use a lot of milk!

Well I got on WIC and they give me a ton of milk. The thing is I have trouble digesting it when it isn't cooked. I'm also gluten intolerant. So I need recipes that use a lot of milk so that it doesn't go to waste.

I've done a gluten free bread pudding, rice pudding, and grits with milk, but I'm kind of stuck. I guess soups? Can you help me out? Things that can be done in a slow cooker would be great.

Lisonh 06-09-2009 02:12 PM

Re: I need recipes that use a lot of milk!

Do you do better with lactaid ?? I have crohn's disease and milk just kills me ! But I'm fine with lactaid , so WIC gave me that instead .

Anyways , yogurt is super easy to make and easier to digest . The longer you let it "cook" , the easier to digest it is . I let mine go up to 24hrs . I usually make 1/2 gallon at the time , my kids love it and so do I !!!

honeylover122 06-09-2009 11:09 PM

I have a milk digestive problem too- so I use the lactaid & it works so much better !

dogmom327 06-10-2009 11:03 AM

Pudding?

SarahLee318 06-10-2009 11:07 AM

soups but if you are cooking w/ it you can freeze it too until you are ready to use it.

littleleaf 06-10-2009 11:24 AM

You can make some AWESOME scalloped potatoes! Peel and slice the potatoes to about 1/4" thick. Use a large low baking casserole, spray with some cooking oil. Do a layer of potatoes, 2 Tbs flour, sprinkle of salt, and 1 Tbs cut up butter. Repeat until you're out of potatoes. Then pour the milk into the casserole until it comes up to about 3/4 of the way up the side of the pan (hopefully, your potato layers stop here too -- don't fill it up too much or it will bubble over and make a mess in your oven!). Bake at 425 until the milk boils, then reduce heat to 375 and bake for 45-60 minutes. I got this recipe from AllRecipes.

chloecat 06-10-2009 11:27 AM

homemade potato soup

Hands&Fire Pottery 06-10-2009 03:03 PM

Corn chowder, pancakes, homemade mac and cheese, quiche

Ola_ 06-13-2009 08:33 PM

I was going to say rice pudding too.

I would think you could use it for cream-style soups too. If you want to use it in the crockpot I believe you should add it close to the end of the cooking, that's what I recall from my crockpot recipe book anyway.

debmom2boyz 06-14-2009 11:34 AM

Or if you can't drink it all...give to a family in need.

When our friends were struggling, milk was one thing they didn't buy. They drank powdered milk.