Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WHAT THE...???? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76490)

OneFabMama 12-24-2006 03:17 PM

WHAT THE...????
 
Okay, I weaned DD when she was like 15.5 months (she is now days shy of 19 months old) and last night I felt like I was going to let down, and I looked down and my shirt was wet. :headscratch: I squeezed more out as well. It looks like colostrum with a bit of milk mixed in? And, for a couple of weeks my left boob has been REALLY sore like to the touch lately? I have no idea what is going on. Anyone else experience the milk thing several months after weaning?

I thought maybe I was preggo, but I just got AF today - so I dunno what is going on? Just hormones from AF?

Help!

Kimmomy2dom 12-24-2006 03:28 PM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
Some women can leak for YEARS after they wean. I even know someone whos milk never came in - she never bfed her children. But for years to come she leaked. I don't know, LOL. But I do know that it's plenty normal to leak. I wonder if your leaking IS hormone driven if it's around AF. :)

Julesmom23girls 12-24-2006 11:56 PM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom (Post 563810)
Some women can leak for YEARS after they wean. I even know someone whos milk never came in - she never bfed her children. But for years to come she leaked. I don't know, LOL. But I do know that it's plenty normal to leak. I wonder if your leaking IS hormone driven if it's around AF. :)


I knew a woman who still had LOTS of milk when her son was 10 yrs old, she nursed him until he was one. So 9 yrs later she still had enough milk to squirt it, LOL her words not mine. The Drs couldn't tell her why it was like that or if it would ever stop. So I think it can be normal but I would still have it checked just in case.

mistylaureena 12-24-2006 11:59 PM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls (Post 564190)
I knew a woman who still had LOTS of milk when her son was 10 yrs old, she nursed him until he was one. So 9 yrs later she still had enough milk to squirt it, LOL her words not mine. The Drs couldn't tell her why it was like that or if it would ever stop. So I think it can be normal but I would still have it checked just in case.

yup same exact thing happen to my friend who is also my neighbor...shes been lactaing for over 9 yrs too....the doctors gave her some answers which I cant remember but it had something to do with her body making an over abundant amount...it just so werid how differnt everyones bodies are because I NEVER even got any milk!!

reborin 12-25-2006 03:02 PM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
It's very normal. If it really bothers you, you can approach it two different ways. Herbal, or medical. Going herbal, use cold cabbage leaf compresses at night (when production is at it's height), and treat the leaking with a breast pad, just like always. Change the cabbage leaves at least every two hrs., more often in the evening/night. Don't wake up to do this (obviously!), but change frequently at night so they stay cold.

With medical help, perscribed bromocriptine will reduce milk production a lot. The FDA doesn't recommend it for most cases, because it's a serious drug to use in general (also used to treat Parkinson's), but it's very effective. If it doesn't bother you too much (and yes - prolactin is related to both menstruation and lactation), just figure out how to live w/it comfortably. VERY normal. :thumbsup:

Shannon 12-27-2006 09:39 AM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls (Post 564190)
I knew a woman who still had LOTS of milk when her son was 10 yrs old, she nursed him until he was one. So 9 yrs later she still had enough milk to squirt it, LOL her words not mine. The Drs couldn't tell her why it was like that or if it would ever stop. So I think it can be normal but I would still have it checked just in case.


OMG! Wow..I can only hope that doesn't happen to me.

greenkmt 12-27-2006 09:53 AM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
Well, if you regreted weaning, start it back. Whoohoo for milk!

tararaboomdeea 12-27-2006 02:31 PM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
I have known many women who still leak long after they have weaned. I know one lady that weaned her son at 13 months. He's now 3 but she "milks" herself everyday in the shower so she still has boobs :laugh:

mommyto2presidents 12-27-2006 08:47 PM

Re: WHAT THE...????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea (Post 567919)
I have known many women who still leak long after they have weaned. I know one lady that weaned her son at 13 months. He's now 3 but she "milks" herself everyday in the shower so she still has boobs :laugh:

:rofl: sounds like something I would do. Oh how I (and dh) LOVE the milky-boobies!!! :rofl:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors