Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   UGH! Thrush, for 5 months? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76540)

www.ClothDecisions.com 12-25-2006 12:20 AM

UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

No kidding! DD got it from another child I was babysitting and it was the worst case her doc had seen he said. I got it and was treated with diflucan and it looked like it was going away. NOPE! I have used Gentian Violet, antibiotics, all purpose nipple creams, lotrimin medicated cream 3 times daily and it still persists. It hurts so badly to nurse DD that I have had to begin to wean. She is 17 months but neither of us were ready yet! What the hell do I do? My doc says wean completely but that is out of the question, I won't do it. :nono: DD is my ONLY BABY!! Does anyone know what else I could try?

jjaelovesenglish 12-25-2006 12:48 AM

Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilysmomma (Post 564200)
No kidding! DD got it from another child I was babysitting and it was the worst case her doc had seen he said. I got it and was treated with diflucan and it looked like it was going away. NOPE! I have used Gentian Violet, antibiotics, all purpose nipple creams, lotrimin medicated cream 3 times daily and it still persists. It hurts so badly to nurse DD that I have had to begin to wean. She is 17 months but neither of us were ready yet! What the hell do I do? My doc says wean completely but that is out of the question, I won't do it. :nono: DD is my ONLY BABY!! Does anyone know what else I could try?

Antibiotics I thought made thrush worse. You could have her eat lots of yoguert because it has lots of stuff in it that keeps the yeast at bay. Activa I think has more stuff in it than other brands out there.

MamaMel 12-25-2006 08:34 AM

Take probiotics daily your DD and you. You can buy the powder form and put it in her food so she wont know.

Then do Grapefruit seed extract treatment
put 10 drops GSE in 1 oz water. Apply to nipples before feeding and to babies mouth after feeding. If it doesn't get better in a day up it to 15-20 drop per 1 oz water

www.ClothDecisions.com 12-25-2006 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjaelovesenglish (Post 564205)
Antibiotics I thought made thrush worse. You could have her eat lots of yoguert because it has lots of stuff in it that keeps the yeast at bay. Activa I think has more stuff in it than other brands out there.

Whoops! I meant Anti-Fungal, not Antibiotics...diflucan is an anti-fungal. Neither of us have been prescribed antibiotics.

www.ClothDecisions.com 12-25-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMel (Post 564269)
Take probiotics daily your DD and you. You can buy the powder form and put it in her food so she wont know.

Then do Grapefruit seed extract treatment
put 10 drops GSE in 1 oz water. Apply to nipples before feeding and to babies mouth after feeding. If it doesn't get better in a day up it to 15-20 drop per 1 oz water

Oh, man! If today wasn't Christmas I would be at the nearest natural food store. GSE has never been suggested and I didn't even know what it was until you just mentioned it and then I Googled it for more info, Thanks!!

MamaMel 12-25-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilysmomma (Post 564301)
Oh, man! If today wasn't Christmas I would be at the nearest natural food store. GSE has never been suggested and I didn't even know what it was until you just mentioned it and then I Googled it for more info, Thanks!!

my DD and I had thrush for a long while and it was the only thing that worked. I swear by it

Also eliminate suger from both your diets

Prettylocks 12-25-2006 01:44 PM

I second eliminating the sugar!

kht2006 12-28-2006 03:04 PM

i'm right there with you. we've been fighting this for five months too. imo weaning won't help and might make it worse....
i slacked off around christmas....got too tired to fight it....

benjason 12-28-2006 04:22 PM

I battled thrush for 3 months with my older DS until I finally tried grapefruit seed extract, acidophilus (can be found at HFS) and elminating sugar from my diet. I tried everything else too -- diflucan (weeks and weeks of it), genetian violet, lotrimin, etc and this was the only only thing that worked. I hope you find some relief soon. :hugs:

trashley 12-28-2006 04:41 PM

What dosage did you get for the diflucan?