Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Overflowing with squash, zucchini & green beans!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765699)

*Alabamamom* 06-11-2009 06:25 PM

Overflowing with squash, zucchini & green beans!!

I need some ideas on what I can do with a ton of squash, zucchini, and green beans! We've fried it, made a casserole and stir fried so far.. and gave some away but our garden is hyper producing the stuff and I don't want to waste it! :giggle: Any good ideas???

Dorothy'smom 06-11-2009 07:01 PM

Re: Overflowing with squash, zucchini & green beans!!

Cakes and breads w/squash are always good! You can add some to meatloaf, too!

Terra 06-12-2009 02:15 PM

Can you mail some this way :giggle:

Seriously though, I second the cakes and breads!
Tempura [spelled] veggies maybe? With noodle stir fry?

By chance do you can? You can make green beans and potatoes to can.

busymama77 06-12-2009 03:21 PM

What about making a ton of zucchini bread and selling some and freezing some? Squash, that can be sauteed and served with a ton of different entrees. I'm so jealous that you have so much. I love zucchini and squash and always look forward to them coming in to season each year!!

knittingk 06-12-2009 04:00 PM

Zucchini jam..and zucchini bread...

Ducko 06-12-2009 06:29 PM

I would puree' some and freeze it for soups in the fall.

dublinmom 06-12-2009 09:08 PM

Zucchini bread is my fave :drif: I have a recipe for chocolate zucchini muffins as well...if you want it just send me a PM :thumbsup:

sonie716 06-13-2009 07:28 AM

I would freeze it. You can use the summer squash the same way as zuchnni in breads and muffins. What I did was grate my zuchnni, and summer squash skins and all. I put them in baggies. 2cup amounts, thats what my recipes call for. Then when I want to make bread or muffins, I take it out thaw it, squeeze the extra water out and use. I made breads and stuff for christmas.

The green beans I would snip and freeze.

velcromom 06-13-2009 10:13 AM

If your family likes pickles, you can try Dilly Beans.

Make a brine by adding 6 tbs of sea salt to a half gallon of water. Rinse the beans and pack them gently into jars with a handful of dill and several cloves of garlic. Pour in the brine and set a smaller jar full of water on top of the beans to keep them underwater. Put them in a cupboard or somewhere cool and dark (not the fridge) for 4 days, then refrigerate. There will be a bubbly layer of white scum on any exposed brine and that's a good sign, it's normal.

Picklesmom1 06-13-2009 06:26 PM

you can take the squash and zucchini add some onion, tomatoes (maybe an eggplant) put them all in a frying pan with some pepper when they are cooked completely, add some american cheese to the top til its melted.