Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   sleeping longer at night and milk supply (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77319)

mommyto2presidents 12-27-2006 08:59 PM

sleeping longer at night and milk supply

What do you do when dc starts to sleep longer stints at night, so you're not bfing for longer periods of time? He's always been a quick eater (as in never more than 5 mins per side). I'm afraid my milk supply will dwindle (this happend after an illness for dd at right about 5 mos of age). Am I just paranoid or should I preventatively take fenugreek, more milk plus, etc.? Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Kimmomy2dom 12-27-2006 09:03 PM

Re: sleeping longer at night and milk supply

Your supply should adjust to wherever you need it. I think supply tends to be lowest at night anyway, KWIM? He'll get whatever he needs, he'll go back for more if he needs it.
BTW, I love the name Grant but DH has a cousin with that name so we'll never use it. :)

mommyto2presidents 12-27-2006 09:11 PM

That's what I'm hoping, but I have such drastic dips sometimes that I really have to keep an eye on it.

Is there a *normal* number of times I should still be bfing him a day? He's 7.5months. It seems like it's not that often anymore...

Thanks for the compliment on the name. DH didn't like it, but he got the last name and wanted to pass on the middle name, so he lost out on the first name. Everyone seems to like it though...

Kimmomy2dom 12-27-2006 09:28 PM

Is he eating solids or table food? That would make him nurse less often.

mommyto2presidents 12-27-2006 09:34 PM

Yes, he does eat solids; some days a lot and others very little. On those days that he eats more solids I do my best to remember to pump to a) keep my body producing more milk and b) if he doesn't drink it right away I freeze it for outings or in case I should get sick or something. I know, solids are such a double-edge sword, but he's such a chow-hound sometimes! :laugh: :blush:

e_mom_e 12-27-2006 09:43 PM

you will be fine....my son dropped a feeding every week or so until he was no longer nursing at night by 11 weeks. And my milk supply was fine, if anything I had to pump in the mornings but other than that fine...but part of that was because I was a dummy and wasn't nursing BOTH sides just one, and so I was being too full on one side. But don't worry, think about it, some moms only nurse for one nursing and always have milk. it's not as cut & dry as it sounds, like if he doesn't nurse at one period there is no milk....be assured there is ALWAYS milk.

www.kellymom.com has GREAT articles to help you learn more about breastfeeding.

also with the solids, just be sure that he's not replacing his milk with solids eh still needs milk, that's his fat source....I found this out the hard way...ds was not nursing long enough becuase he wanted to go "eat" so I just have to make sure he nurses both sides and keep him from pulling away to play etc...

hope the helps a bit!!!