Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   No milk ideas. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77415)

Samantha 12-28-2006 09:33 AM

No milk ideas.

I can have cheese but no milk. (DS cant handle it)

I am running myself into a rutt with eating the same things over and over.

We like lots of things..and are pretty open....so give me some ideas. I have to go grocery shopping today and so far my list has...DISH DETERGENT on it, and thats all LOL

kht2006 12-28-2006 11:33 AM

Re: No milk ideas.

If you can handle cheese, you can probably handle yogurt. I eat yogurt with cereal instead of milk. Also you can sub. yogurt for milk in recipes like mashed potatoes, mac n cheese...changes the flavor a bit but still good.
I'll keep thinking....

babydogs3 12-28-2006 06:28 PM

Maybe instead of milk you could try soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk. I always use soy milk in place of milk in everything I make.

SorenEdenTuckers 12-28-2006 10:07 PM

I had to go dairy free with my first son. I quickly warmed up to soy milk (the vanilla and the chocolate are pretty decent if you give them a little while to grow on you). I use it in everything now. We don't even drink cows milk at all here.
I know how frustrating it is trying to find alternatives though. Hugs to you.

grace134 12-28-2006 11:12 PM

Hijacking:
I am giving up all dairy, because I've been getting ear infections almost chronically, and I think this might help. Calcium ideas?
I sort of hope it doesn't work, cuz I love cheese!

carleyc 12-29-2006 07:15 AM

I've had to give up all dairy because my baby can't handle it. Here are some things we eat:
meatloaf with mashed pototoes (make the potatoes with chicken broth instead of milk)
marinated chicken grilled or broiled
pasta with red sauce
red enchiladas
chicken noodle soup
beef stew
lots of rice dishes (plain rice, spanish rice, dirty rice, etc.)
pork loin with either a rice dish or a potato dish
laoded baked potatoes (use bacon bits, salad dressing, and veggies instead of sour cream, butter, etc.)

As far as getting calcium I just take a suppliment.

yogimama 12-29-2006 07:29 AM

Sometimes people/kids with dairy allergies are also sensitive to soy - but I find rice milk a nice alternative! I had to give up all dairy during my last pregnancy (caused high blood pressure due to a pre-pregnancy "sensitivity"!) and this was my favorite meal: Spicy Veg. Peanut Noodles

2/3 c. creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. red chile flakes
1 Tbsp. sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 Tbsp. dijon mustanr
1 Tbsp. ground coriander
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 c. canola oil
1 lb. spaghetti
1 English cucumber, halved and sliced (I usually use diced celery because I am not a cucumber fan)
1 red bell pepper - sliced or cubed
1 bunch scallions - sliced
1/2 c. chopped peanuts (optional - but if you skip these, add a little salt to taste!)

Combine all ingred. except pasta, veggies and peanuts in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Set aside. Prepare pasta and drain. While pasta is hot, pour sauce over spaghetti and toss to coat. Toss in veggies and garnish with peanuts. Serve chilled or at room temp.

Enjoy!

SorenEdenTuckers 12-29-2006 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grace134 (Post 571712)
Hijacking:
I am giving up all dairy, because I've been getting ear infections almost chronically, and I think this might help. Calcium ideas?

In addition to my Nestabs prenatals which I believe have calcium, I take these dairyfree calcium chews too

e_mom_e 12-29-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grace134 (Post 571712)
Hijacking:

There are lots of products on the market available...but most of the calcium pills are huge. Plus there are tons of calcium in many things we already eat, like broccoli and other stuff.

But there is a product called Viactiv for women...it's got vitamin D in it too to help you absorb the calcium, and vitamin k too. It's in a chewable chocolate type candy and there's no sugar or fat in it..but it taste just like candy!

automatik2 12-30-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogimama (Post 572079)
Sometimes people/kids with dairy allergies are also sensitive to soy - but I find rice milk a nice alternative! I had to give up all dairy during my last pregnancy (caused high blood pressure due to a pre-pregnancy "sensitivity"!) and this was my favorite meal: Spicy Veg. Peanut Noodles

2/3 c. creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. red chile flakes
1 Tbsp. sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 Tbsp. dijon mustanr
1 Tbsp. ground coriander
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 c. canola oil
1 lb. spaghetti
1 English cucumber, halved and sliced (I usually use diced celery because I am not a cucumber fan)
1 red bell pepper - sliced or cubed
1 bunch scallions - sliced
1/2 c. chopped peanuts (optional - but if you skip these, add a little salt to taste!)

Combine all ingred. except pasta, veggies and peanuts in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Set aside. Prepare pasta and drain. While pasta is hot, pour sauce over spaghetti and toss to coat. Toss in veggies and garnish with peanuts. Serve chilled or at room temp.

Enjoy!

That sounds delicious! I am going to have to try that tonight.