Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mastitis (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77453)

Molly's Mom 12-28-2006 11:39 AM

Mastitis

Well I've got it!:yuck:
The Dr put me on antibiotics said to keep nursing, heat etc...
I never got it with DD - this is the first time. Just wondering if there was anything anyone did/took that helped to make it go away quicker or keep it away.

Kimmomy2dom 12-28-2006 11:45 AM

Re: Mastitis

Take lots of baths and showers, I think. Nurse like crazy - that helps. Take it easy! Just sit and lay down and nurse. I hope you feel better soon!
If you feel clogged ducts, etc. down the road just make sure you try to clear them as soon as you can. :)

Calideedle 12-28-2006 11:45 AM

I had cronic Mastitus with DS & have had it probably 6 times so far with DD.

What helped me was DRINK DRINK DRINK Gatorade and keep offering your DC to nurse. Oh and a HOTT shower and just stand there with the water on your chest <-- that always helped me to feel better fast and take it easy :)

If you are able to lay down and rest that is great too (though its hard, I know!)

Good Luck!

Molly's Mom 12-28-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calideedle (Post 569831)
If you are able to lay down and rest that is great too (though its hard, I know!)
Good Luck!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks ladies!! I just went and stood in the shower - felt really good and I think the steam helped DS's stuffy nose some also!

kht2006 12-28-2006 01:09 PM

Drink lots of water, gatorade, juice....lots and lots.
Hot showers
Hot baths. I told my DH I have to soak in the tub Drs. orders:goodvibes:
Nurse a lot
also, I pumped a little longer at work.
Don't forget to take your prenatal vitamins,too
Lots and lots of rest

blessed with boys 12-28-2006 05:34 PM

I get this all the time....
I did lots of showers or baths, massage the clog if you can feel it, tylenol for the pain, nurse frequently and start with that breast...pump if baby doesnt empty it all the way.
and dont go on a car trip the bumps in the road are torture for a owee boobie.

I hope you feel better soon, I always feel like I have the flu when I have mastitis.

birthfree 12-28-2006 05:57 PM

I had it in both breasts recently... nurse nurse nurse and nurse some more! That's really the only thing that helps best - getting the infection out of there. The longer the sweet milk hangs around... the worse it can be. Take any immune system boosters you have too (echinacea, goldenseal) if you can. Hope it improves, that's rough!!

gringacely 12-28-2006 06:18 PM

The lactation consultant I saw emphasized emptying the breast. She suggested even pumping after feeding. Plus, as stated above heat/showers.

birthfree 12-28-2006 11:30 PM

You might just want to be careful with pumping so that you don't increase your supply and cause more trouble for yourself in the long run... but emptying the breast is a good idea - so if your baby isn't doing it, it should be done with a pump.

Hope you're feeling better by now!

geez0pete 12-31-2006 08:08 PM

I don't have alot of advice to offer, just LOTS of sympathy! I had it three times with my 2nd dd and 5 times so far with my twins. I know it's miserable and the pain is great. Hot showers are alleviating and ibuprophen helps with the fever. I got to use a hot tub one time while I was sick and that was wonderful! I've tried just about every prevention under the sun and no luck yet. Hang in there! Antibiotics don't usually take more than 24hrs. to start working. I've also heard to try to nurse with the baby's chin near the plug, if that's what it is.