Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can you freeze cheese? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7767)

SheilaJoy 05-21-2006 10:04 PM

Can you freeze cheese?

I bought two big ol bags of cheese from Costco, as I am trying to phase out processed dinner in favor of doing more cooking. yay! Anyway, I'm afraid these are going to get moldy if I don't use them fast enough, so can I put some portions in the freezer, or will that make it gross?

Manna00 05-21-2006 10:33 PM

Re: Can you freeze cheese?

Nope! Shredded cheese freezes just great. Any "hard" cheese that you freeze will be extra crumbly when you take some out and defrost it.. but if it's already shredded ( or even cubbed) it shouldn't be a problem! Soft cheeses (cream cheese, sliced cheese... maybe some other "exotic" cheeses... we only buy chedder and mozerella shredded and sliced cheese..which doesn't seem to age whatsoever). I've never tried to freeze sliced cheese before.

Take a plate and put a good layer of cheese on it and place that in the freezer. Once it's hard, just put it in a ziplock (or any other freezer safe thing) and label it! :) When bags of Kraft Cheese (I typically buy chedder and Mozerella for home-made pizza night!) go on sale I just buy them and throw them up in the freezer without bothering with the plate-freezing. It may be wise to freeze them in 1-2 cup containers (however much you would use for one meal) so you don't have to bother with defrosting a big ol' bag of it! I've never noticed any flavor differences inbetween frozen cheese and regular refrigerated cheese. It's a GREAT way to stock up! Cheese is expensive!

SheilaJoy 05-21-2006 10:48 PM

Great, thanks for the tips!! :mrgreen:

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 05-21-2006 11:16 PM

I buy it from sams in huge bags and sperate it into small ziplocks..a nd just pull em from the frezer when I need em! :)

jaseyandmallorysmommy 05-21-2006 11:36 PM

I freeze all kinds of cheese with no problems.

MamaJo 05-24-2006 02:45 PM

We use Colby, Monterey Jack and Mozzerella - we freeze the huge block for 1/2 day or so so its easier to shred, then we shred, bag and freeze. :thumbsup: Haven't had any problems with it.

CMamma 05-24-2006 03:26 PM

I freeze cheese all the time. I just find that it's hard to grate after so if you want it shredded, do that before freezing.

drenotdoctor 05-24-2006 03:29 PM

Yep. We buy a giant bag & freeze it into smaller bags. I don't think I have gone past a few months though. Not sure how long it could be frozen. Probably longer in a deep freezer. Oh....and the press & seal freezer wrap works great for freezing it. :)

ahisma 06-08-2006 08:21 PM

We freeze it in ziplocs too...it works great!

jennyofthemoon 06-09-2006 04:13 AM

I think I am the opnly person I know who dosn't freeze cheese. Something about it is just scary to me...not sure why :headscratch: :headscratch: