Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Did I give my ds an ear infection? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77736)

bubby 12-28-2006 11:17 PM

Did I give my ds an ear infection?

My son had to go to the doctor yesterday because he was tugging on his ear like crazy and running a low fever. The doc said he had an ear infection and the fever (and runny nose and coughing) was caused from this. Recently I read that if you BF while lying in bed it can cause an ear infection from the drainage. We co-sleep and when ds wakes up at night (usually a few times) I nurse him back to sleep (lying in bed). So hear comes the question...did I give ds an ear infection or is this a different type of ear infection since it came with the fever, runny nose and cough? I did not get to ask the doctor. I stayed at home while my wonderful dh took him in and let me sleep because I had been up all night with the hurting ds. Am I a lucky lady or what! :mrgreen:

birthfree 12-28-2006 11:38 PM

Re: Did I give my ds an ear infection?

I doubt it! More than anything it'd be the runny nose backing up. Kiddos get ear infections when they never nurse in bed - but either way you look at it, most of the time they lay down (whether in your arms or on the bed) so don't beat yourself up. :)

Leininger27 12-29-2006 08:50 AM

I would say no also! I think nursing in bed is pretty standard for most nursing moms and my yds has yet to get an ear infection and we nurse in bed all the time!

On the other hand my older boys were not nursed and got ear infections all the time and they never took a bottle laying down!

Its ok mama. Some kids are just more prone to ear infections than others! Not your fault! :)

Malka 12-29-2006 09:05 AM

I don't think so. Dd had lots of ear infections her first year. They came whenever she got a cold, and got to the point where she was congested all the time and her ears never cleared. She may have been nursing in bed with the first several, but the last one she had (before tubes) was the worst and she was sleeping in a crib, nursing less frequently, and not at all at bedtime. My ds also had horrible ear infections until he was over 2, and he stopped nursing at 6 months and didn't drink from a bottle after age 1. If he had any ear infections at all while he was nursing it was at most one or two.

Calideedle 12-29-2006 09:07 AM

Doubtful!

bubby 12-29-2006 02:34 PM

Thanks All! I do feel much better. :mrgreen:

greenkmt 01-02-2007 06:16 AM

Babies don't get ear infections from laying down while nursing. That is the difference between bottle feeding and breastfeeding. When they suck on a bottle, it drips in the back of their mouth and causes fluid to build up. WONDERFUL for breastfeeding!

mommy21princess 01-02-2007 07:18 PM

Yep I agree with ALL the other responses!! Glad your dh took him!!