Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   pressure cooker? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77847)

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 12-29-2006 11:06 AM

pressure cooker?

I got one for Christmas, first of all, reading the warnings, I'm scared :giggle: but secondly, anyone got any good recipes for a pressure cooker? :D

boristhedog 01-02-2007 07:06 PM

Re: pressure cooker?

mine's been in the box for 3 years. I'm scared of it.:headscratch: :smiley_haha:

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 01-04-2007 05:40 AM

:rofl: I know I was reading the booklet with the warnings and all and was like OMG

honeybunmom 01-04-2007 08:52 AM

I got one as a wedding gift 3 years ago. The main thing I make in it is arroz con gandules (rice and pigeon peas) - with brown rice. The pressure cooker infuses the rice with moisture so it's not has tough as brown rice can sometimes be and it cooks pretty quickly. Just let the thing cool off before opening it and it'll be all good. I was a little leary at first, too. But, it's really no big thing if you just use it correctly.

Sorry, I don't have any great recipes, though. I need to try some of the ones in the instruction book that came with mine.

Elisa

june weaver 01-12-2007 06:13 PM

Chicken soup. Place grate in bottom of cooker. Add 2-3 onions coarsly sliced and 1-2 cups of water and one whole chicken with inside bag of giblets removed. Place on heat according to your cooker's directions (mine is 20 min at 15 lb pressure) after "done" take off heat and immediately lower pressure (I put mine in sink with cold water) and remove lid. Remove chicken and separate meat from bones return meat to pot and add 6-8 chopped carrots and 5-6 stalks celery and lots of celery leaves. Replace lid and return to heat until pressure is reached. Again remove from heat and coolin sink. Soup is souper hot . to cool I add a can each of corn and green beans and stir. Might need to adjust amount of liquid and add salt or pepper to taste. Takes me about 40 min to make this. It will take longer but may be less scarry to let cool by just removing from heat rather than placing in cold running water each time. Any tough meat will come out so tender in a pressure cooker like corned beef and cabbage etc. Like a speedy slow cooker ! If you can strip dipes in a dishwasher, you can cook with a pressure cooker.

june weaver 01-15-2007 09:19 AM

ok I know there are other brave pressure cooker moms out there. As I said earlier if we can strip dipes in our dishwashers we can use a pressure cooker!! lol:lostit:

luvkadcl 01-16-2007 12:18 AM

I LOVE my pressure cooker and could not be without it. You can make bean soup in 20 some min. It would take 3 hrs on the stove with a regular pot. Just read the directions well and use the cookbook it came with at first. Learn how long things take to cook. Never fill the pot more than they tell you too. Don't be afraid. These aren't the pots our parents used. These are safe. You can quick cool the pot in the sink (so as not to overcook things)by running cold water over the pot. Imagine potatoes cooking in 4 min. Soups come out so rich and tasty. Go to your library and see if they have any pressure cooker recipes.

Enjoy!!

babydogs3 01-16-2007 05:10 PM

I rarely ever use mine. I've been looking for recipes too so I can use mine more.
You can cook dried beans in it or make soup.

Kele 01-17-2007 12:53 PM

:afraid: Dh just bought one at Goodwill today. I'm excited, but scared of it - and I don't own a dishwasher to strip dipes in :laugh:

Gavin&Brent'sMommy 01-17-2007 12:55 PM

:giggle: these recipes are great, just wish hubby weren't picky :banghead: lol