Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Starting solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78065)

mamamac 12-29-2006 07:35 PM

Starting solids

Here's the deal in a short story...

My baby (6 months next week) will have absolutely nothing to do with cereal or anything from the spoon. I refuse to mix cereal in a bottle simply because she doesn't take a bottle from me nor do my boobs have a whole to dump it in. The ped also does not recommend cereal in the bottle. I have tried now for over a month and a half. I have tried it runny, I have tried it chunky, and I have tried it with water, formula, and breastmilk. I have tried it cold and warm. She just lets it sit there in her mouth and refuses to swallow. I also tried some oatmeal cereal and again no luck. By this time with dd1 she was eating stage 2 foods! I am not worried about her weight, she's 21 pounds, I am just worried about her getting all the iron that she needs.

Any suggestions?

urchin_grey 12-29-2006 07:54 PM

Re: Starting solids

BM is a complete food so I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially if she is 21 pounds! My DS is almost TWENTY months old and doesn't weigh that much (and was, unfortunately, FF after two months of refusing the breast). Anyway, I've heard of babies not getting many solids until well after their first birthday. No worries as long as you are eating well!

automatik2 12-29-2006 08:01 PM

my 23 month old doesn't really eat much at all - she had zero interest in anything other than my boob until like 15 months or so, and then she started licking food and taking small sips of water. she still breastfeeds like a champ though and the ped isn't concerned about it (she'll start when she is ready)

give it some time and dont beat yourself up over it - and feel free to pm me if you want to talk to someone who has btdt!

mom2kailinconnor 12-29-2006 08:21 PM

My ds is 6 months as well and FF. We are just starting him on solids. He refused cereal as well at first, until we mixed it with apple juice (please no flaming). We dilute the juice a WHOLE lot, like 1 part juice to 2 parts water/formula. Anyhow, got this tip from my SIL and he eats cereal like a champ now. Maybe try that or the cereal with bananas or apples already in it. Good luck!!

moonphishers 12-29-2006 09:46 PM

well here's my :2cents:

:) they really dont need rice cereal anyhow... here's one good link I have handy on first foods

here's another one of the many sources I used to decided to delay solids...

frankly - I wouldn't wanna eat it either... :yuck: oh. and if you're really concerned about her iron... just get it checked and go from there.. :thumbsup: but heres something on iron too

good luck & have fun :goodvibes:

Samantha 12-29-2006 09:55 PM

My dd waasnt interested in solids until 1yr.

Put them away for a few weeks, try again, put them awa, try again ETC

tazzae 12-30-2006 02:51 PM

:yeahthat:

My dd also didn't eat solids until she was over a year old--and she never would eat the cereal. She was a tiny babe--14lbs at 12 months--and I did stress about it alot. We tried everything we could think of, and the dr.s reccomended, to no avail. Dd waited until she was ready. Now, at almost 3, she's an excellent, only mildly picky eater. I say just give it time, especially if there's no weight issue.

geez0pete 12-30-2006 04:24 PM

I would just give it up for now. My first dd never ate baby food and went straight to table food and it looks like one of twins will be doing the same thing. Besides, it's not nutritionally necessary right now and table food is easier anyway IMO.:goodvibes:

kgsd 12-30-2006 04:32 PM

Katie's first solid foods were avocado and zucchini (not pureed, just very small soft chunks) and she really liked them. Today I tried cereal and she didn't really care for it. I wouldn't worry about it - at this age, solid foods are really just for "fun" and to get them used to solids, but they are supposed to be getting most of their nutrition from BM or formula.

homebirthmom 12-30-2006 04:45 PM

I'd say don't worry about it too. Also cereal does NOT have to be the first food. Have you tried that stuff? gross! I wouldn't eat it either! :lostit:

My first kiddo ate pasta as her first food. about 9 months.
the next wanted food at 4 1/2 months and it was squash. He was a fatty.
the next ate about 6 months bananas was her first
the next hasn't had anything but booby juice and is a few days shy of 4 months.

there is no schedule, although a doc may lead you to think that. baby will tell you when he/she wants something. just offer breastmilk, ITS FREE!