Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Just got back from the MW (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7811)

bfoster2000 05-22-2006 07:48 AM

Just got back from the MW

Just got back from the MW and she says I'm still pregnant (really?!?) 30 weeks now and she says I really need to go another 4-6 but she doubts I will...for now all we can do is rest and wait and watch.

The thing that I got a kick out of is that we were talking about outcomes for preemies and she said that white males (what I'm having) have the worst time as preemies because they just "won't" do what they need to do to get healthy. She said they affectionately refer to them as "wimpy white boys" in the NICU. Black females have the best outcomes and fight the hardest and recover the quickest. Hope nobody finds that offensive, just with all the "d"h troubles in the air lately, I got a funny image in my mind of my husband, 30 years old, laying in the NICU letting a nurse take care of him because he just refuses to grow the surfactant on his lungs so he can get out in the world on his own. OK, that probably is offensive, sorry...

Carrie 05-22-2006 07:56 AM

Re: Just got back from the MW

I knew that girls usually do better than boys but I didn't know it varied by race. Well, my boys were less than 5.5 lbs and they were pretty wimpy, Ethan in particular. He was still 5 lbs. at 3 weeks before he finally started gaining! At 34 weeks longterm outcomes are the same statistically as for full-term babies so I'm sure your babe will be fine!

bfoster2000 05-22-2006 08:27 AM

DJ was born at 34.5 weeks and weighed 6 lbs. He didn't have the kind of respiratory problems that many preemies have and certainly hasn't had any developmental delays...in fact, he's hit ALL of his milestones early...you wouldn't think he was a preemie at all but we are absolutely certain about his dates. We joke that my babies just cook faster...my uterus is a microwave apparently! That's why I hate OBs who think that EVERY baby should go EXACTLY 40 weeks...every mom and every baby is different. My MW this time is very supportive and taking a hands-off approach. She said if I start to progress before 34 weeks she'll have to slow things down, but if I can make it to 34 weeks, she'll probably let me go. I just thought it was funny when she said that the stress of preterm labor gives many babies the extra kick they need to develop the surfactant or whatever on their lungs, but those wimpy little white boys just won't do it.

bobandjess99 05-22-2006 01:15 PM

dss #3 was a preemie, weighed only 1 lb 10 oz at birth...but his lungs were fine, never needed help breathing...... Dss#4 was also a preemie, weighed 3 lbs 3 oz at birth..but needed a respirator...oddly enough #4 was a white male, while #3 was 1/2 Indian...hmmm..makes me wonder if being non-white helped #3....??.....