Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Away from baby for weekend ? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78127)

kkbtoys 12-29-2006 10:17 PM

Away from baby for weekend ?

I go on a girls-only weekend every January. Dd is 9 mo old, and the trip is planned for 4 weeks from now. I will be gone from Thur - Sun. Should I wean? Pump? Or what? If I pump, how often will I need to do it to keep my supply up? Any suggestions welcome!

TIA!

ShayneLeMaster 12-29-2006 10:20 PM

Re: Away from baby for weekend ?

I would pump prior.. to make sure there is food for Dc while you are gone.. and I would take a pump with you.. if nothing else to releive engorgement... good luck and have fun... ( if i dont see you in another post before you go lol )

A'smommy 12-29-2006 10:40 PM

Weaning just for one weekend away seems like a lot of work to me. But then, my DD is 20 mo. and still nursing. :)

Either way, I agree with the pp that said take a pump with you...you will probably need it. If you want to pump and store you will need a fridge, or to take it in a cooler, dry ice---depending on how far away you're going and how you're travelling. If you're flying, you can't bring human milk back with you...you can only carry it on if you're actually travelling with the baby. But I lost several baggies that I had pumped for DD on a road trip because we didn't have dry ice...so wanted to share that tidbit. :goodvibes:

Leininger27 12-29-2006 10:43 PM

I definitely wouldn't wean just for one weekend out! :2cents: I would pump to make sure you have enough for baby to eat while you are gone and then bring your pump with you so you can keep your supply up. I generally pump as often as baby would eat when I am away from ds(not very often LOL).

kkbtoys 12-30-2006 12:41 AM

Thanks for the advice. This is baby #4, and the longest I've nursed so far. I weaned ds #2 when dh & I went on a weekend trip when he was 7 mos old :banghead: . Ds wouldn't take a bottle, so I near starved him for a couple of days until he did. I didn't realize then that I could have just pumped when we were away and he could have used a sippy cup instead of a bottle. So I've learned enough to ask this time, but I'm always insecure w/nursing.

Dd takes a bottle once a day at night already, so I'll just pump & dump while I'm away.

Mamatoto2 12-30-2006 07:07 AM

I would absolutely NOT wean. My DD will be 10 mos. old when I have to travel to stand up in a friend's wedding and if I'm not confident that she'll take a bottle or if I can't pump enough for her, she's going with me (even though it will be a bit of a PITA having her there, and children are NOT welcome at the wedding :( ). I'm sorry it's not a popular opinion, but parenting is not convenient (I'm sure with 4 kiddos you don't need me telling you this) and I just don't think that taking away/changing your child's primary source of nourishment/comfort just prior to a major separation from Mom and then never giving it back is a good idea. I know that time with the girls is important, Really, I do. These are the times when I try to remember that they are only little for a short while. Good luck to you!

Jenrose 12-31-2006 10:51 PM

For me, I would not leave a 9 month old baby for longer than 8 hours. Too many potential emotional/nursing consequences, it is just not worth it for me. Mostly people assume that if I'm going somewhere, my baby is coming with me. It is just assumed until their second birthday, and even then, I'm not gone from them longer than 12 hours until age 3.

I just think it's too hard on them to have mama gone that long. My mom went in the hospital when my sis was about 1 year old and it took a long time for my sister to recover and she still, 20 years later, has some abandonment issues around that. Not worth it, IMO.

emcare 12-31-2006 11:08 PM

Wow. No way would I wean for some time away. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a babe that young for so long, but if you are, and the baby is comfortable without you, pump and dump and be sure to have more milk at home than you think you need, just in case.

Prettylocks 01-01-2007 12:57 AM

Skip the weekend. You'll be miserable and worried the whole time anyway, kwim? That baby is way too young to be w/o mama for that long.

andrea0324 01-01-2007 10:22 AM

Good for you for taking the weekend off! I see some people wouldn't make that same choice, but if you are ready to do it, then I say go for it! Every mama is different and every kiddo is different.

Enjoy!! (I'm kinda jealous!)