Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nursing and pumping for someone else???? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78747)

jcreedon 01-01-2007 09:40 AM

Nursing and pumping for someone else????

Hello, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with nursing their own child and pumping for someone else. I am due with my 2nd child at any time and my sister is adopting a baby that is due in June. She asked me if I would consider pumping breast milk for her baby. She is not able to take the meds that would make her lactate because of Chrone's Disease and the medication that she takes because of it. I just stopped nuring my 2 year old about 3 months ago and had no problems producing an adequate amount of milk for him. Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thanks, Jessica

somersocial 01-01-2007 09:52 AM

Re: Nursing and pumping for someone else????

I really don't have any great advice - but I remember (20 years ago) my Aunt use to bf and she would pump/express extra to send to the hospital for sick babies. I would be a true gift if you are able to do it. Good Luck with your decision.

Niccole

jenncatsmeow 01-01-2007 10:48 AM

What a wonderful gift you could provide for your neice/nephew.....If you didn't have any supply issues and are comfortable with it...I say go for it. As you know...breast is best.

chelle0518 01-01-2007 10:56 AM

I knew of someone that did this, and it worked beautifully for them (and the baby that received it). Your sis may need to supplement depending on the little one's weight gain and such, but if you're able, I'd say go for it-what a blessing!

lilmama2dsndd 01-01-2007 10:57 AM

I have low supply issues (actually more like inadequate pumping issues) and my sister has an oversupply of milk. She nurses her own DD, gives my DD milk and donates to the local mother's milk back on top of that. I can't tell you how much it means to me that she has provided DD with enough of her breastmilk for me to supplement her. DD is 16 months old and not formula or cow's milk for her, all thanks to her loving Aunt.

mercy589 01-01-2007 10:59 AM

That would be wonderful! Breast milk is totally supply and demand, so if you start pumping several times a day besides the baby's nursings, your body will make that much extra milk and be used to that. Have you been to a LLL meeting? This is something the leaders could help you figure out. Good luck!!

Psychomom 01-01-2007 12:23 PM

My best friend did this! With her third baby she was working part-time and pumping while away. She is so blessed to pump so much extra milk--she pumps about 10 oz per session and she'd work 12 hour shifts, so she came home with 40+ oz each time she worked.

A coworker of hers adopted a premature baby and the baby's pedi told the mom that if she could get her hands on some breastmilk it would really be great for the baby. My friend offered her milk up and baby Noah was able to grow healthily on breastmilk.

Now my friend is nursing her fourth baby and has the same oversupply. There is no baby to give the milk to this time, so she made a donation to www.breastmilkproject.org. They send the milk to needy babies in Africa. She's so wonderful!

doberbrat 01-01-2007 09:52 PM

I do. I just gave 600oz to my donee family yesterday as a matter of fact.

First things first, make sure to take care of YOU and YOUR baby. sounds selfish, but if you dont, you'll have issues. i started to pump early to get a good 'stash' going in case something happened that I coudl no longer nurse or pump while at work. So I pumped for 2mo w/o using any milk. then my dd reverse cycled so I was pumping 2x as much as she took while I was at work and I pump on my 'off days' (3x a week) my first donation was 26 gallon sized bags of milk w/prob 60oz each. :-) (Moo!)

Early on, as soon as you're recovered from birth etc, start pumping. Pick a time that is convenient for you. I started first thing in the am and last at night before bed. Stick to it. at first you'll get rediculously small amts but it will grow. if you an pump on 1 side while you nurse baby, thats great for letdowns. pump for 20-30 min at a time. pump hands free and surfe the web while you're at it (as I'm doing now!)

use a good pump- I started off w/a pis but then rented a lactina for max efficiency.

Oh, and I'm reimbursed for supplies (storage bags) by my families. I dont get anything else out of it except knowing that I'm helping a couple of babies thrive.

:hugs:

AngelMommy 01-01-2007 10:06 PM

my mom gave extra milk to her neighbor when I was a baby. She had an overabundance and didn't even pump - she hand expressed. She would always express extra after nursing me so that she didn't engorge, and wound up filling our deep freeze and the neighbors, and kept them both stocked!

I will tell you, though, if you stop pumping for any reason, sometimes it takes a while to get back up to the amount you were previously pumping (from experience). :)

birthfree 01-01-2007 10:52 PM

I would do that, it's awesome. Your body does demand=supply so you'll make enough milk to do both if you pump and nurse as you need. :)

I've been pumping some extra for a friend, but sometimes I get more time to do it than others.