Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Am I too lax? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78815)

geez0pete 01-01-2007 12:55 PM

Am I too lax?

So my twins are almost 8 mo. old and they like table food. I pretty much give them what we're eating. Mostly it's small soft veggies, fruit, potatoes, etc. but they've tried ALOT of different foods (ds loved refried beans and dd likes cottage cheese). With these two, I haven't done the "try a new food for 3 days before you introduce another" like I did with my first two. I know what NOT to give but is it wrong to give them bites of potato salad, or pieces of pancake and hash browns from IHOP, etc.? Are they too young for the meat in 2nd foods baby food? They only eat one meal a day and the rest is BM. Just wondered what other mamas thought.

Timetodance 01-01-2007 01:22 PM

Re: Am I too lax?

If they don't have a history of food allergies, and there is not a history of food allergies in your family you are probably ok. Just keep an eye our for diaper or skin rashes, or a change in thier... um... "diapers".

I would stay away from giving them too many home fries from IHOP because you don't want to create a palate of fat for them where they only want fatty foods.

We gave dd a wide variety of foods, but she was allergic to dary so I had to be really careful about what we fed her. Check with your ped at your 9 mo check up if you have any concerns.

amanda308 01-01-2007 05:33 PM

I would just be careful you aren't giving them too many new things at the same time.

MCR 01-01-2007 06:04 PM

Thats exactly how I introduce foods to the foster babies I've had at that age.
Never had any problems yet. I delay eggs, nuts, strawberries, and other often allergic foods, but don't worry too much about the other stuff. I cook mostly from scratch anyway so know whats in it.
I've noticed the ones I do that with are very good about trying new things and eating whatever the rest of the family is getting. Unlike my first child, who did the whole one food a week, and jars, and was/is the worst for trying anything :banghead:

dirtdartwife 01-01-2007 06:10 PM

I honestly never tried the one food every three days or something for any of my kids. If they reached for my plate, I'd give it to them as long as it wasn't a choking hazard. If I noticed something later, I made a mental note to be aware of that stuff.

My youngest DD, at 8 months, got ahold of my plate one morning and it had over easy eggs. before I got back to the table with all the juices, she ate everything on my plate! Three eggs and the bacon was in her hand being shoved into her mouth! She broke out a few minutes later so for the next three months, I just had to keep an eye on her. By the time she was 12 months, she was fine to eat the eggs.

IMO, letting them eat what you're eating prevents them from becoming picky and expecting you to be a short order cook. I know it doesn't work like that for everyone, and I'm just speaking from my experience with my kids.

good luck mama and go with what works for you and them!!

SandyG 01-01-2007 06:16 PM

i dont think so but again ds at 8mo didnt care for it at all. i wish he did and maybe he wouldnt be this picky :banghead:
i say if you dont have a history, they might be ok

boristhedog 01-01-2007 07:22 PM

You're not too lax. If you had a history of allergies, I'd do the 3 day thing, but you're experienced and would notice a problem.

weddell 01-02-2007 03:52 PM

I read an article on cnn.com right around when dd was born that advocated feeding babies just like how you are feeding yours. It said that rice and other grain cereals were probably a bad food because you get your babies too used to eating simple carbs.

Okay I found the article. I originally read it on cnn.com, but it isn't up there anymore. I printed it out when I originally read it, so I compared my print out with the text here and they are the same.
http://www.ywpw.com/forums/child/pos...0/html/84.html

JustAugust 01-02-2007 04:02 PM

Jack Milo's 9 months and I give him stuff from our plate. Nothing that might hurt his tummy (no soup or salad from olive garden, etc.) but everything else is okay.

OneFabMama 01-02-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdartwife (Post 582084)
I honestly never tried the one food every three days or something for any of my kids. If they reached for my plate, I'd give it to them as long as it wasn't a choking hazard. If I noticed something later, I made a mental note to be aware of that stuff.

My youngest DD, at 8 months, got ahold of my plate one morning and it had over easy eggs. before I got back to the table with all the juices, she ate everything on my plate! Three eggs and the bacon was in her hand being shoved into her mouth! She broke out a few minutes later so for the next three months, I just had to keep an eye on her. By the time she was 12 months, she was fine to eat the eggs.

IMO, letting them eat what you're eating prevents them from becoming picky and expecting you to be a short order cook. I know it doesn't work like that for everyone, and I'm just speaking from my experience with my kids.

good luck mama and go with what works for you and them!!

ditto.

i never really did the 3 day thing.

i waited on things like eggs, nuts, peanut products, etc...

but so far so allergies at all.