Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mommas I need help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79049)

crawforda23 01-01-2007 09:19 PM

Mommas I need help

My dd is 5 months old and we ebf till she was 3 and a half months. She still latches and I want to relactate, but I think I have ppd. How can I make this work?:cry: Ok I called my dr today and she is prescribing Paxil. I think my biggest problem is I feel I have let her down by not nursing. Thanks for all of your help and support.

lilmama2dsndd 01-01-2007 09:31 PM

Re: Mommas I need help

First of all :bighug:

I have not dealt with the relactation side, but have been dealing with PPD and anxiety problems that I basically ignored up until a few months ago. I wanted to give you assurance that it is entirely possible to BF with PPD and while getting treatment. For me personally, BFing was my one savior, it felt like the only thing I did right. Have you sought out professional help for the PPD yet? If not, that really needs to be your first step, don't try to just deal with it, it really is something that is bigger and more common than you think. I tried to ignore it, telling myself it was nothing and would pass until I found myself cutting my arms to shreds one day and didn't even realize I had done it. I am telling you this because I want you to realize how bad it can get without you even realizing it, I certainly didn't think my problems were that bad. Now I am receiving psycho therapy and did end up needing to take medication, which they do have some that are safe for use while BFing.

I know relactation can be a very long, difficult process, maybe another mama who has done it can chime in and give you some advice there. :hugs:

Have you tried the La Leche League forums? They have a whole subforums just for increasing milk supply and relactation. Here's the link to the forums: http://forums.llli.org/ Also, contacting a certified LC or an LLL leader can be of great help too.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk. :hugs:

AngelMommy 01-01-2007 10:22 PM

first of all, :bighug:. I had ppd until ds was 19 months and sleeping through the night. That's when I realized it and got help. I know for a fact that there are medications that are safe for BF and pregnancy even!

If you are interested, I have a link to a website that has a great survey/evaluation. I'm going to list it below. It helped me realize what I was dealing with and helped a lot when I went to see my OB and my therapist for the first time about it.

http://www.pndsa.co.za/ms-fc.htm

Also know that relactating can be done. You have to stick with it, and it will take a while to get back up to your normal supply, but it is very possible! I would consult a lactation consultant, and they will be able to give you the help you need! Many times they will help you over the phone for no charge. I know there are two here in town that do that! I wouldn't start trying to relactate, though, until you seek help for the PPD. It is an added stress and you want to make sure you are on the right path first! :)

Returning to nursing will help you bond with your baby again, and probably make you feel much better about yourself! It is something positive that you are doing naturally! :)

Good luck, and feel free to PM if you want to chat! :hugs:

autumnlily 01-01-2007 11:11 PM

BIG HUGS!!! First and foremost, it is a good thing you are acknowledging PPD and that you could be suffering from it. I HIGHLY agree with the pp that you should address the PPD 1st and then relactating.

I stopped BF when dd was 6 months old due to severe milk supply issues and ezcema on my nipples. I found myself obsessing with being able to BF her and cried and cried with the challenges I faced. This was before my PPD treatments.

I actually started CD when DD was 5.5 months old b/c I knew BF wasn't going to last much longer and I needed a new "obsession". I have PPD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder along with PPD Post Traumatic Disorder. I guess I should say "had" and not "have" -- it's amazing, you really do get through these dark days...they don't last forever and they surely go away sooner with help.

Lately, I've had dreams of milk just overflowing from me and my starting to BF again. I really missed the nursing relationship...but in many ways, when I did stop BF - I was finally able to get the help for me to get through PPD and THAT is what helped me bond with my DD.

PM me if you have any questions about PPD. Good luck and again many hugs!

Mommy2JJ 01-01-2007 11:24 PM

:hugs: :hugs: PPD is hard....any kind of depression is. Good for you for realizing it....I have had tons of bouts with depression since I was in middle school and after I had Jackson I kept denying it.....I didn't want medicine because in the past I had been to doctors who thought putting me on 4 or 5 medications was the best. For me it took losing my dad to suicide (major depression issues) for me to get on something.....depression sucks period I hate it with a passion and all it robs from people but you DON'T have to suffer!!! I wish my dad could've known that :cry: , so don't be afraid to try medicine and there are plenty that are safe for BFing.

As far as relactating.....I would definitely get in touch with a lactation consultant and I would definitely reccomend Domperidone....with my depression/anxiety, Jackson's health issues, everything I ended up with major supply issues and the Lactation Consultant could not find one single reason.....it was really good until he was like 3 months old then boom it was shot.....I never quit nursing but I did have to supplement for awhile. Domperidone SAVED our nursing relationship though....and we tried everything fenugreek, blessed thissle, goats rue.

Just don't beat yourself up too much for the bfing thing....that was one thing and I thought since I was having problems and couldn't make enough milk for my ds that was a failure and I worried and felt bad everytime he had to drink formula like it was all my fault; and that really doesn't help with the supply issue itself. So just try to relax and you are a good Mommy for trying to nurse and wanting the best for you baby.

PM me anytime for anything and if you want more info on domperidone and where to order it just PM me too.

autumnlily 01-01-2007 11:27 PM

I definitely second, DOMPERIDONE, it helped me out tremendously. Whatever you do, with the depression - do not take REGLAN. Your doctor can advise to you why, but a significant amount of women who take REGLAN are more prone to depression.

lilmama2dsndd 01-01-2007 11:28 PM

The domperidone is good stuff, I use it too, first to increase and now to maintain my milk supply, and none of my doctors could find anything about it reacting adversly with my meds.