Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Beyond terrible twos sometimes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796)

CMamma 04-23-2006 05:28 PM

Beyond terrible twos sometimes

Anyone have tips, suggestions, help on how to handle a 2 yo? Man DS is driving me mad... he seems to think that "please" means now... he screams and yells b/c I don't cater to him right away. He hits, ignores, etc. Drives me nuts! And he is into hitting or hurting his new baby brother.

Samantha 04-23-2006 05:31 PM

Re: Beyond terrible twos sometimes

OHH you think the 2's are bad....wait until you get to the 3's

;)

No advice!

FitMommyOf2 04-23-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha

;)

No advice!

LOL, or wait until 4's!!! I swear, compared to now, Emily's 2's were heaven! :p

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 04-23-2006 06:00 PM

Wait till 7!!! My 7 yr old dd is SOOO dramatic.. and I have been told I am the worst mother in the whole world!!!!

FitMommyOf2 04-23-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Wait till 7!!! My 7 yr old dd is SOOO dramatic.. and I have been told I am the worst mother in the whole world!!!!

Oh no, Rachele, couldn't you tell us that it's getting better!? :p
Emily already told me the other day that she hates me!:confused: I thought that'd only start in her teenage years.. Boy, by then I'll be having only grey hair I think! LOL

CMamma 04-23-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samantha

;)

No advice!

YIKES

rds989 04-23-2006 06:50 PM

The big thing IMO is to be very, very firm, consistent, and CALM. If you get upset, you'll be teaching him that that's an appropriate response to the situation.

That being said, I totally believe in (and needed, with my strong-willed ds!) zero-tolerance rules. NO hitting, etc (whatever limits are right for you.) Tell him no clearly, state very simply what he SHOULD do, and immediately remove him to a time-out or similarly calm (and pre-introduced) consequence. Like, last summer when ds would break the rule and walk into the street, we immediately stopped outside play and went inside. No matter what. That worked quite quickly, let me tell you! For less serious misbehavior, we counted to 3 and then did time outs. But you HAVE to be prepard to follow through, or you can make it all worse!

Last idea is to try to praise positive behavior every chance you can get. Not like random, "oh, you're just generally awsome in every way" stuff, but like, "wow, great spoon holding!" "gee, you are SO good at being gentle with your sister!" It'll reinforce good behavior, and help you get some positive interaction in there once in a while!

It's hard, and 3 was even worse for us (sorry!:D ) Good luck!

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 04-23-2006 07:20 PM

My grandma always says.. thier problems are sooo little when they are little, and only get bigger! :) Hugs mama!

CMamma 04-23-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rds989
The big thing IMO is to be very, very firm, consistent, and CALM. If you get upset, you'll be teaching him that that's an appropriate response to the situation.

That being said, I totally believe in (and needed, with my strong-willed ds!) zero-tolerance rules. NO hitting, etc (whatever limits are right for you.) Tell him no clearly, state very simply what he SHOULD do, and immediately remove him to a time-out or similarly calm (and pre-introduced) consequence. Like, last summer when ds would break the rule and walk into the street, we immediately stopped outside play and went inside. No matter what. That worked quite quickly, let me tell you! For less serious misbehavior, we counted to 3 and then did time outs. But you HAVE to be prepard to follow through, or you can make it all worse!

Last idea is to try to praise positive behavior every chance you can get. Not like random, "oh, you're just generally awsome in every way" stuff, but like, "wow, great spoon holding!" "gee, you are SO good at being gentle with your sister!" It'll reinforce good behavior, and help you get some positive interaction in there once in a while!

It's hard, and 3 was even worse for us (sorry!:D ) Good luck!

TY