Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Birth Stories and Announcements (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Sawyer James is here! All Natural hospital birth story. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798264)

BabyOsMomma 07-26-2009 03:40 PM

Sawyer James is here! All Natural hospital birth story.

He's Here!
Sawyer was born at 12:50am on July 24th.
7lbs 2oz (way bigger than I thought) 20.5 inches

no meds, no iv, no interventions!

My water broke just before 1 on thursday afternoon just as I was getting ready to take a shower with Liam. He laughed at me and said "mommy you peed on the floor" it took me a few more gushes to realize that it was not pee. We called DH and my mom and showered. Mom picked us up and we were at the hospital at around 1:45. Checked me and I was 3 cm, but I already knew that I was more than that because doc had checked me on monday(this nurse only was with me for admit, then her shift was over). I wasn't contracting, so the doc gave me an hour before we would discuss pit. I was disappointed, but then felt better when my new nurse reminded me that I had the right to refuse it. I was instantly thrilled because I felt like she already knew how I wanted this to go and was willing to help me get there. (She happens to be the nurse I had on my preterm labor admit a few weeks ago, I thought she had a bad attitude then but was pretty wrong about her). About 5 minutes later I got some pretty good contractions, so I was in the clear anyway. An hour after admit, around 3, I was checked again and I was a 4 almost 5 and 75%, which is where my doc had me on monday, but I didn't say anything, it looked like progress to them, and kept me on track. I kind of stayed there for the next couple hours, but baby was moving down pretty well. They also started talking about antibiotics, because my doc wasn't sure what the ped on call would want, an 8, 12 or 24 hour time frame before starting them (because my water was broken)(it ended up being 24, so not an issue). I pretty much just joked around with mom and dh and walked, sat on the ball,or leaned against the tray table and watched tv and rocked my hips. Labor wasn't too bad really, but I was comparing it to a pit induction that I had last time. My nurse was awesome at coming to remind me to change positions I was able to keep myself pretty relaxed. Before I knew it I was 7 cm. But only in the front, in the back I was complete. I got up and walked, all of a sudden I felt this pop and he moved down, I almost fell down it was such a weird, powerful sensation. The doc and a bunch of nurses came running because they thought I was about to have the baby in the middle of the hall. I made it back to the room and was happy to find that I was completely dilated, and we were going to set up to push.
It was shift change time so I had to change nurses, and that was kind of hard, you work with one for so long and get comfortable, then have to get used to someone else, but the new nurse was a sweetheart, and a good nurse also.
This is were it got hard. I started to push at 11:15. I tried sitting on the edge of the birthing bed, laying back, and finally pushed in a semi reclining, almost sitting position. Baby did really well during this whole stage, with my first son I only pushed for 15 minutes because of pit induced HR decels, after which he was vacuum assisted out, so I was happy that he was doing ok.
I felt really uncoordinated during pushing though, like I just wasn't doing it right or something. I remembered it feeling different with Liam's birth, but figured I wasn't remembering right. The doc kept telling me how much he was moving down, and I kept saying, "that's all?, he should be farther by now." Finally about an hour later, things started to feel more productive. I felt like my pushes were doing something, but I was also getting really tired, and frustrated because I had not expected it to be this much work. Then one minute all she could see was his scalp, and the next minute he was crowning and slipping into her lap all at once. My body had taken over, and there was no way I was going to be able to wait for my bottom to stretch, or for her to suction him before I pushed him out. So, needless to say, I ended up with a 2nd degree tear, and broken blood vessels all over my face and neck(I look like I have a really bad case of some contagious disease).
The most amazing feeling was seeing him slide out of me and into the docs lap. I still want to cry remembering it. The doc was concerned because he was kind of "juicy" so he went to the warmer to get checked out and suctioned well. I got to hold him for a few minutes, then he and daddy went to the nursery while I got stitches and cleaned up. They came back about 20 minutes later and it was then apparant why it took so long to push. His head was molded and bruised badly on one side. He was trying to come out crooked. Otherwise he is perfect. My uterus was not contracting so I got a shot of pit, then methergen when that didn't work. Being massaged internally and externally was horrible, I wanted to kick the doc, even thoughI was a bit scared and knew she needed to do it. My tailbone and butt hurt worse than the tear does. I am actually less swollen down there than I was when I came in to the hospital, my varicose veins are almost all gone. Nursing is going ok, he is opposite of Liam, Sawyer nurses every 3 hours and for about an hour straight, Liam nursed every hour for about 5 or 10 minutes at a time. My milk should be in either tonight or tomorrow morning, I am starting to feel fuller, and having that let down sensation when he nurses.

We had jaundice issues with Liam because of blood type incompatibility and it looks like we may spend a few more days here with Sawyer because of the same problem, to keep his levels from reaching 24 like his big bro. He was already at 9.5 at 24 hours old.

Suprisingly, recovery seems to be easier this time. Even though he is a pound heavier than his big brother was. We might go home tomorrow if he doesn't have a significant bili increase.

He had a cloth diaper on right away, but we haven't used any since. He has been pooping mec constantly, and I am too worried that with all the different nurses around that I won't get one of my diapers back. Most are cool with it, but there are a few that looked at me like I was a nut and one that said, "oh you will change your mind". He actually fits great into the xxs LCT AIO that I made, it doesn't rub his cord, and . He probably won't for real long, but they will be nice to have for at least a few weeks. I am really glad I made and bought tiny sizes.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...a/067_67-1.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...a/054_54-1.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/101_5474.jpg
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/101_5487.jpg

aliciacsun 07-26-2009 07:51 PM

Re: Sawyer James is here! All Natural hospital birth story.

congrats mama! :hugs:
what a beautiful little family you have!
i love his litte lips :)

ClothDiaperMePlease 07-26-2009 07:55 PM

CONGRATS!

supergirljennie 07-26-2009 10:44 PM

Congrats! What a cutie!

momma2Mimi07 07-27-2009 07:18 PM

AWW What a handsome little guy! I am SO jealous of all his hair, DD was born SOOOO bald... Even now at almost 2 she still doesn't have much hair lol! congrats momma!

png_lovebirds 07-27-2009 09:25 PM

What a cute little frown he is giving the camera!! Congrats on your intervention free birth!!

sheilalynn 07-27-2009 09:30 PM

Congrats!! What a cutie!!

TeachinAuntie 07-28-2009 05:35 AM

Congrats on your handsome little man!

kristina 07-28-2009 12:22 PM

Congrats! We named our lil guy Sawyer Joseph :)

THBVsMama 07-28-2009 05:04 PM

Congrats! He's beautiful.