Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   An ethical question about breastfeeding (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79952)

Marielblewis 01-03-2007 07:20 PM

An ethical question about breastfeeding

At a spouse' group meeting onbase tonight one of the nursing mothers mentioned that she was selling her breastmilk to another mom in the area. When asked why she didn't just donate her milk to a milkbank she said because the milkbank requires a prescription and the milk costs $3 per ounce. By selling the mother her milk for $1 per ounce the mother is able to give her child breastmilk which would otherwise be unaffordable. She said she had to agree to blood screening for diseases and also knows the mother regularly tests the milk for drugs and alcohol with at home tests. When asked why she didn't just give the milk to the other mother she said "Because we aren't personal friends and pumping and storing for her is work."

I have to admit before talking with her I thought it was totally wrong, but now I can see how it can benefit some mothers in some situations. I was just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Marie

Calideedle 01-03-2007 07:22 PM

Re: An ethical question about breastfeeding

I would do the same thing for a friend/someone I knew who couldnt BF. Though if I was very very close with them I wouldnt charge :)

Fullhouse 01-03-2007 07:25 PM

It's work. You need a pump, equipment, and to eat more. If it were a friend I wouldn't charge, but if it wasn't I wouldn't do it at any price.

~happy2Bamommy~ 01-03-2007 10:00 PM

I thought of offering some to a grandmother I know that is raising her GD.The GD is having a REALLY hard time with anything they try to give her (she is 3 months now)

My thought is that I would want to give it to them BUT I know I can't pump enough to feed two babies..I just don't have the time!

I see no problem with selling milk.. It's kinda funny in a way that nowdays we can sell our own milk AND eggs :laugh:

sellng milk isn't that new of a concept is it? I would think that a wetnurse is about the same thing??

urchin_grey 01-03-2007 10:14 PM

I personally think she's doing a good thing and I don't think there's any harm in her charging for it. It *is* work and by helping out another family that would otherwise have to pay 3x's as much, that extra money is probably really helping HER family too.

Proverbs169 01-03-2007 10:16 PM

I don't know. If it was a close friend I would donate what I could. If not... I might charge, if they could afford it, kwim? I have a hard time pumping and actually hate it so it would be like work to me. I can see why someone would be bothered by it though.

ShannaMarie 01-03-2007 10:30 PM

I wouldn't sell my BM.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-03-2007 11:02 PM

I think its a great deal for them both:thumbsup:

ShayneLeMaster 01-03-2007 11:06 PM

If I was in her position I would try to work something out as far as a trade... of some kind.. Assuming my child was taken care of first and my supply was enough for another child I would offer to do what I could but I dont think I would want to go in to a " contract" with someone else.. because dont get me wrong... as much as I LOVE to breastfeed my son.. i am looking forward to the day I am done lol...but Im sure once Im done I'll wish I still was .. ya know? and I would hate to be done with BF my son.. and be obligated to still pump for another child..

but I dont see anything wrong with selling it...

mamachandi 01-03-2007 11:10 PM

Oh I think its wonderful that she is doing that and I don't think its wrong for her to charge in that situation!!