Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Prefolds and wraps.. help me choose.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80066)

dmoselle20 01-03-2007 11:15 PM

Prefolds and wraps.. help me choose..

Its been forever since I have posted on here but I am in need of help. I am thinking I want to do prefolds and wraps for when we are at home. Seeing as I have been a pocket/AIO/AI2 mommy I am new to the pf/wrap scene..lol! Any suggestions of kinds I am just going to have to try?

redheadedangels 01-03-2007 11:25 PM

Re: Prefolds and wraps.. help me choose..

thirstie pfs are awesome and super cheap! mamacommune has them with free shipping as well :) for covers i use wool mainly or for pul i use proraps or thirsties.

keeperof3angels 01-03-2007 11:32 PM

:popcorn:

jessi4jc 01-03-2007 11:45 PM

okay well i think most prefolds are pretty equal. i have ipfs, cpfs and thirsties. there are marginal differences, pros/cons to each but overall they function about the same. :2cents:

the exception that that rule is babykicks hemparoo. they are half as thick but about 50% more absorbant. the downside there is cost tho.

i hate the snappi and think it is a loathsome thing. and i'm not a good pinner. :cry:

by default i prefer wraps with velcro. i like the ease of the trifold and the wrap around. i have no problems with diapers staying in place, even with 2 active toddlers. i don't much care for wraps with snaps because it feels like diapering twice at every change to me that way...put on the diaper and then put on the cover, instead of one easy step. i prefer wraps made of PUL. fleece is bulky and wool wraps with velcro scare me in the wash. :blush:

i love longies and knit or crocheted soakers but prefer to use those over fitteds and stick with PUL for PFs. :thumbsup:

dmoselle20 01-03-2007 11:59 PM

Well I have wool shorties already that I love, and I have a few velcro wraps. I was checking out thirsties.. am I reading it right, you can get a 6 pack for 11.00? or is that per prefold. Do you recommend using the thirsties wrap? I am not even interested in the snapis.. they just look irritating to me, I dont have the patience to try to figure them out..lol! I am so lost, I am not happy with my pockets, and have some aio's and ai2's that i am ok with but I am think I am needing a change.

jessi4jc 01-04-2007 12:10 AM

NO, 11.00 is for the 6-pack! LOL. PFs are only like 1-2 each. Lord, I hope I never see the day when someone charges 11.00 for that. PFs are so affordable. Get some flats while ur there! They make great doublers and are sooo trim in a cover!

dmoselle20 01-04-2007 12:17 AM

So for a good rotation I am going to need the prefolds, I was thinking the premium cotton's and then some flats for doubling. And then I was thinking like at least 3-4 wraps? Does that sound about right. I love it that it is this affordable. We are just going through dipes like crazy and it would be great to have a large stock of something affordable that works too! Thanks for all of the advice, I appreciate it so much. I knew I could count on DS for answers!

CamoMom 01-04-2007 05:30 AM

I use PF's and wraps for home as well. One bit of warning--all PF's are NOT created equally. Every so often you will find mention of European PF's. They're supposedly great for their durability (mine are holding up REALLY well, so I'll give 'em that), but they're super stiff and not even slightly soft and fluffy. Avoid those like the plague unless you plan on diapering seven kiddos with 'em, because that's how long it'll take for them to soften up!

Proraps are a great, affordable wrap, and since they're "industrial", they hold up to super-hot wash and dry cycles over and over and over again. Mine have gone through three babies and they look and work great. The only "wear" that they're showing is that they're nice and soft and really pliable now and not so crunchy after two years' use!

Oh, and I've found Snappis very easy to use; I can't imagine using PF's without 'em, but I'm sure it's possible!

FitMommyOf2 01-04-2007 06:27 AM

PFs are our main stash and I love them! They're absorbant (for extra absorbancy I often use the CB doublers) and I'm getting a great fit for my DS.
I prefer the unbleached Thirsties, they're just sooo soft! I also like the IPFs that I got from CottonMama, but the rise is a lil longer on those ( folding down would only be 1-2" and I don't like that technique) so I mainly grab for the Thirsties.
For covers we probably have too many :giggle: but I really love all of my Stacinator wool aswell as fleece ones. Other than that I have a few 'emergency' Gerber pull-ups, which we never really used so far lol.
And then there are my longies and fleece pants of course :giggle:

Choose2bgr8 01-04-2007 06:44 AM

I really like hemp so I bought a few yards of that and made a bunch of hemp "prefolds" for my daughter and we used angel dry covers which are SOOOOOOOOOO awesome. www.angeldrydiapers.com