Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   In The Kitchen (
-   -   help, I need an eggless cake (

daizydoo 01-04-2007 12:51 PM

help, I need an eggless cake
My dd's first b-day is coming up and she is allergic to eggs. Does anyone have a good cake recipe that does not call for eggs? Or another fun idea instead of a cake?

Fuzzi Fannies Creations 01-04-2007 12:52 PM

Re: help, I need an eggless cake
look in your betty crocker cookbookj... there area lot of things you can substitute for eggs :)

daizydoo 01-04-2007 01:04 PM

Thanks, I'll go check that out.:thumbsup:

Mommy2H 01-04-2007 01:17 PM

If she likes chocolate, try this one, just bake in a cake pan:

My DS is allergic to eggs and dairy, and this is the only cake that is moist and tasty enough that all of us will eat it. HTH!

mary.margaret 01-04-2007 02:08 PM

My son's allergic to eggs too (as well as nuts). Here's what we did for my older son's birthday this year. It is delicious! At first I was hesitant because it has a lot of water in it (doesn't sound tasty to me!) but it was really good - nice and moist! I found it to turn out better than a regular cake recipe with an egg "substitute" like starch or baking powder, etc. And with a buttercream frosting it is fabulous... or just dust some powdered sugar on the top.

Crazy Cake

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
6 heaping Tbsp Hershey's cocoa
1 tsp salt

Mix above ingredients. Then add:

1/2 cup oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups water

Mix well and pour into a greased and floured 9x13" pan. Bake 30-35 minutes @ 350 or until toothpick comes out clean.

Yummy! :thumbsup: Makes good cupcakes too.

After posting this I just followed the link to the Hershey's cake... almost exactly the same recipe! 1/4 cup more oil and 2 Tbsp more cocoa. Crazy. :) Guess we know it's good!

Menfusse 01-04-2007 02:30 PM

I have a no wheat,eggs,milk,corn or soy kid. More actually, but those are the ones that pertain to a cake. has cake mixes and egg replacers. I ended up buying a cake mix and used corn free baking powder in place of eggs. But check it out, you might find something that will work for you.

ahisma 01-04-2007 05:19 PM

There's a great cookbook called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" with tons of cupcake options (not exactly what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway:goodvibes:)

The author is very allergen sensitive too, definitely worth checking out for anyone with food allergies.

daizydoo 01-04-2007 05:47 PM

Is chocolate o.k for a 1st b-day cake? I wasn't sure if a 1 yr old was able to have that much chocolate? If so then I think I might have to give the eggless chocolate cake a try.

Ooey 01-04-2007 05:52 PM

pm soygurl, she works in a bakery and specializes in vegan baking, not to mention she loves to :blahblah: and share recipies :thumbsup:

daizydoo 01-04-2007 05:53 PM

I checked out the allergygrocer site and it has some awesome stuff! I bookmarked it to go back later when dd is sleeping and really look through everything>