Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Go into detail about how to swish. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8039)

betty_joanne 05-22-2006 10:09 PM

Go into detail about how to swish.

After you change the babies poopy diaper into a fresh clean one do you just leave the dipe on the changing table until you can get to it later??
If you are dunking/swishing do you have a dry pail(going to do dry pail) next to the toilet in the bathroom??

I know these are dumb questions but i haven't had to dunk/swish or any of that yet because little one is ebf and i just put them in the pail and wash daily. I know dunking is coming up in the next couple of months and i want to have everything figured out before we get there so i won't get overwelmed.
TIA

hlahickman 05-23-2006 07:02 AM

Re: Go into detail about how to swish.

I take care of the diaper right away.
We keep our diaper pail IN the bathroom, so I take the diaper and the baby with me to the bathroom. Usually I just have to plop the poop into the toilet and then the diaper goes into the pail. If I need to swish, I grab a hold of the outside of the diaper and swish around in the toilet. Then I wring out the excess water and in the pail it goes.
hth

bfoster2000 05-23-2006 07:40 AM

DJ's older so I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse as far as leaving him unattended for a minute while I tend to the poopy diaper! :) Usually, once I get him cleaned up and dressed again, I'll send him back in the playroom while I take care of the dirty diaper. If he fusses about being left alone, I let him follow me in the bathroom to "put the poo poo in the potty". If absolutely necessary, I have left the dirty diaper laying on the changing table for a few minutes until I get him taken care of so that I can get back to it but that's rare. In the bathroom, I dump what will dump and if it still needs to be rinsed, I usually try to turn the diaper wrong side out and hold it by the edges so that the only thing going in the toilet is the poopy part. (Another benefit to lay in soakers and liners...99% of the poop stays on there and it's a whole lot easier to dunk/swish that than the whole diaper!) I swish it around a bit, flush, repeat if necessary, then turn it back right side out and try to kind of roll or fold it so that I'm still holding a dry part and it's not dripping everywhere. If it's a fitted, I'll lay the dripping mess in the cover and then just dump it all in the pail (which is in his room across the hall from the bathroom...our bathroom is tiny and there's no room for even a hanging pail in there! If it's a pocket or AIO, I just try to hold it so that it's not dripping everywhere and then dump it in the pail. I don't wring it out...I figure it's kind of a compromise between wet pail and dry pail! During the week, we only CD part time so I usually wash every 2-3 days...sometimes only once in a 5 day period now that I have enough nighttime dipes. On the weekends, it depends on how many poopy diapers there are. If it's a lot, I'll wash both Saturday and Sunday night. Otherwise, just once on the weekend. So far, I haven't had any problems with staining or odor or anything like that so it works for us. Good luck...

Barb

Zany Zebra Mama 05-23-2006 08:22 AM

Years ago I used and swished prefolds, but I've given up both. Here's what I used to do:

I'd swish right away, before the poo dried on. Hold driest corner of diaper firmly and dump the rest in the toilet. Swish around until most of the poo is off. If it's really poopy I'd pull the diaper out and let it hang dripping over the toilet, flush, then swish again. My diaper pail was next to the toilet so then I'd let the diaper drip a bit then quick toss it in the wet pail.

I don't swish anymore, I just dump whatever will fall off into the toilet then use TP to wipe off most of the chunkies. Then it goes into a dry pail to wait for washing. As long as I wash every other day I don't have stink issues.