Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Overnight dipe CD or sposie? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805)

idlewildponies 04-23-2006 05:53 PM

Overnight dipe CD or sposie?

Hi all, I've had DD in FBs for a week or more now. I *thought* I was going to go all CD and ditch the sposies, but somewhat since the switch she's waking up WAY too early in the AM. Like 4:30am. She had been sleeping until about 6am, then the daylight savings thing hit and messed us up a bit. Then I got my FBs and a day or two later it was worse!!! I've been doing a Large FB with two CB or Nurtured Family inserts and not had any leaks, but it's pretty wet. Thinking maybe she feels the wetness more than with the sposie. Daytime is a PT FB with a single insert. We've been doing great otherwise. Tonight she's down with a pampers. :( Part of me hopes she sleeps in a little since this 4:30 stuff is making my life a bit rough when I'm at work and no naptime for me. Part of me hopes it doesn't help so I can keep CDing at night. Just thought I'd see if anyone had ideas. She's also teething, so they may add to the mix as well. It's never simple, is it?

Thanks,
Sarah

CMamma 04-23-2006 06:02 PM

Re: Overnight dipe CD or sposie?

What kind of insert are you using? I CD exclusively and it hasn't affected our sleeping patterns. I make sure there is more padding at night though. My 2 yo is just in one premium CPF right now w/a fleece soaker but he doesn't pee as much anymore, if at all, during the night so that's fine for him. My 3 month old pees a lot. :) At night I have him usually in either a hemp OSF (hemp is very absorbant), or I use some sort of microfiber doubler w/the CPF (actually works better I think). Mircofiber is so thirsty it works wonders for us. He still gets up at night to eat but I don't change him b/c it's easier to just feed him and we both go back to sleep. If I change him he's up & wants to play.

GL. I dunno if I've even helped!

lovencloth 04-23-2006 06:15 PM

FWIW, it is probobly not the cloth, my dd when teething will wake up very early, plus wake in the middle of the night. She has done it with every tooth. I also don't buy that she feels dry in a sposie, they hold more, but your baby feels that discusting gel against there skin, it is only very thin paper between that carcenagenic gel and your baby. I would say, try hemp. I will tell you I have some night time dipes for sale in hyenacart, but if you would rather not buy whole new dipes, Wonderfuls hemp inserts provide great coverage, if you have a "fast" wetter, you want to get the hemp with the nubby side facing your child (which wonderfuls have), more surface area means it will absorb quicker, that is why I do NOT recommend something like joeybunz inserts for fast wetters. As far as 4:30 wake ups, I give my dd a little hylands teether tabs or tylanol depending on how bad it is, and put her in bed with me, she is still tired, she just wants comfort. ((hugs)) and hope it gets better for you. Don't give up on night time cding yet.

kugrinic 04-23-2006 06:15 PM

Did my son come over and talk to your baby or what? Aj gets up at 4:30 too!!!

I am trying a sposie tonight, I'll fill you in tomarrow on how it goes. I have tried everything possible for night:
prefold with infant PF inside; wool longies
Prefold with 2 layers of hemp; wool longies
MEO with 2 layers of hemp: wool longies
Pockets stuffed
and the list goes on my friend, Im desperate too

CMamma 04-23-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugrinic
Did my son come over and talk to your baby or what? Aj gets up at 4:30 too!!!

I am trying a sposie tonight, I'll fill you in tomarrow on how it goes. I have tried everything possible for night:
prefold with infant PF inside; wool longies
Prefold with 2 layers of hemp; wool longies
MEO with 2 layers of hemp: wool longies
Pockets stuffed
and the list goes on my friend, Im desperate too

Have you considered microfiber? I just ask b/c this is the miracle I've found for us. I just put some terry over it so it wasn't directly touching baby... it works wonders. Could soak up a drought LOL :)

jessicad 04-23-2006 09:08 PM

It sounds like there have been a lot of little changes all around the same time. Between DST & teething, it sounds like you'd be having sleep problems anyway. I would say give it some time and see if things improve (Not that you have to CD through this...you could always try the overnights again when teething isn't so much of an issue)

That being said, we use a disposable at night. It just works for us. We're doing mostly AIO's and I just don't have a lot of extra inserts.

Godd luck in whatever you decide!

Elphaba71 04-23-2006 09:32 PM

I use FB's at night with a CB insert backed by a JoeyBunz hemp. It's perfect and lasts us a very long night on rare occasions (he slept 11 1/2 hours one night last week), with NO leaks! This is vital, because when he leaks, he wakes up - it happened once with some "new" used FB's that repelled something awful. So, agreeing with some of the pp's, my recommendation - add some hemp....

Psychomom 04-23-2006 09:36 PM

Well, I must admit that we've been using sposies at night for a couple of weeks now. We were using cloth with no leak problems (then again, my son is a light wetter, so leaking has never been an issue with us), but then we had ammonia stink. I switched to disposables for a few days to strip all the diapers, but the overnight diaper is still stinky. So we've been keeping him in a disposable at night. Once we're out, I plan on going back to my cloth (with hopefully no stink issues!)

hollyhobby30 04-23-2006 10:21 PM

A prefold with a fleece topped doubler inside snappi'd and covered in a Aristocrat works AWESOME!!!!

Teething time is no fun.

momovthree 04-23-2006 10:29 PM

What happens when she wakes up, is she all ready to play or does she still seem sleepy? Maybe try not changing her immediately and see if it bothers her. I would think it's the other stuff going on and not the diaper really. We ended up going to fitteds and wool or fleece for overnight. The PUL seemed to bother my son overnight, he was waking up all red :(