Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Advice for activities for a 19 mos. old (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80510)

apetelo 01-04-2007 08:40 PM

Advice for activities for a 19 mos. old

I am a SAHM to 2 DD's (19 mos. old and a 5 mos. old). As DD#1 is getting older, I feel like I should be doing something more productive with her during the day then just the normal play/activities. I don't want to go crazy and push her into preschool already, but I do want to encourage development and prevent boredom. Not that she ever gets bored, she is a very busy little girl, and plays great by herself. Any advice from other moms about what you do with your almost 2 year olds? Am I crazy, should I just let her play?
Thank you!!
Amy

ShannaMarie 01-04-2007 08:43 PM

Re: Advice for activities for a 19 mos. old

Just let her play. :)

Ask her questions; let her explore, tell her step-by-step what you're doing, refer to things by name, discuss shapes, colors, letters, etc., etc.

apetelo 01-04-2007 08:50 PM

Thank you, sometimes I just worry that I am not doing enough for her. Other times I think, Amy, your crazy, just let her be a kid.

A'smommy 01-04-2007 08:52 PM

I don't worry about it with my 20 month old cause she does Mother's Day Out twice a week. I don't think they are doing Phonics or anything, but they do lots of hand- and footprint art! :)

Seriously, I think she's fine if you just talk to her. Mine likes the "What's that?" game: she asks constantly, "What's that?" and I tell her. Lots of fun. :giggle: She also likes pointing out things on billboards, like "bebes" (on a hospital billboard for the L&D unit) and "woof-woof" (on a vet clinic ad).

apetelo 01-05-2007 05:45 AM

That's great that your DD gets out those 2 days a week. I have been looking for some class or group that we could get out to once or twice a week, to no avail. We do live in a really small town, but I can't even find any close by. We don't even have any play groups in pur area. Sometimes I feel bad that she doesn't have really any interactions outside of me and her baby sis.

Radish4ever 01-05-2007 11:36 AM

My DD is almost 20 months........ we mainly just play! I let her pick out books and ask her about things she is looking at - what sounds animals make - what colors things are, etc. She loves to get her bath toys (letters and numbers) and point to each of them and "guess" what they are and ask me what they are (already working on letter and number recognition LOL)

It's also fun to play with her and do unusual things with her toys and watch her copy me... it's really cute and helps her to think outside of the box some (not like she really needs a lot of help in that dept! She's so creative!)

We talk about nature and I "label" everything for her as she asks (and sometimes when she doesn't)..... I interact with her a lot more verbally than ever before. She now says "no" and "yeah" at appropriate times, so I make sure she is very invovled in some decision making (what to eat, what to play with, whether or not to go outside, etc)

Just normal playing and helping your DC to explore the world around is the best!!

tillers72 01-06-2007 12:37 PM

They learn so much just from daily activities! When ds1 was that age and we'd go out to check the mail...it was a 15 min trip to go to the end of the driveway and back b/c there were sticks, bugs, leaves, grass, you get the picture! Relationships are huge...like a sled to the snow, ect...also something great at that age if you want some sort of 'structured' activity is matching. I made ds a set of colored shapes and the matching things on a paper. So say there were three triangles on the paper, each a different color, and then cut out three triangles and make them the same colors as on the papers. Ds would be able to put the yellow one on the yellow, ect. So as he got better with the matching I'd change it up and add different shapes and then make all the shapes different colors (if all that rambling even made sense to you, i'm glad).

Simple things like this and the wooden puzzles with the pictures behind the pieces are great for that age! It can truely give them a sense of accomplishment too! and exposes them to the colors/shapes even more b/c you are sitting there with them and you can talk about the colors as they do it. HTH

MyGlorylife 01-06-2007 10:55 PM

is there a MOPS in your area?? librarys usually have a story time- great place to get to!

Hmm things they do atthis age...

well my girls... I'll just go with my first since the other ones that followed had big sister which made a huge difference.

Faithlynn liked to play a lot!!
color
eat
there ya go-lol

naw we did more

we read a lot and I tried to keep a lot of our playing learning. letters and phonics and numbers.

Mostly we talked a lot about things- I did most of the coherent talking!

Now my son- who is currently 17 months I have a longer list for because I am living it daily!

he loves to help empty the DW. We took the seperating thing out of the drawer so that he could just drop the silverware in- who cares if it is unorganised until he is old enough to sort- he's doing chores hooray!!

loves to sweep (I remember dd#1 liking that too)

we sit and play with conecting blocks, duplos that kind of stuff a lot (dd liked that too)

he likes to clean windows- you know he likes to clean- lol!! probably because the girls do- give him a rag and he is off wiping something!!!

likes to play with the kitches stuff- what kid doesn't.

Mostly he plays with older sibs so we are at an advantage you are not at yet- I have an entertainment committee and you are the entertainment committee!!!

I remember now even with the first dd we sang and danced a lot- which we still do

we painted in the bath tub by mixing shaving cream with food coloring

hmmm... i dont know the normal stuff!