Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Meal Idea(s) for a new mom (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80558)

graces-mommie 01-05-2007 01:36 AM

Meal Idea(s) for a new mom

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions for a dinner to take to a friend that just a baby. It will be for 2 adults and a 2 year old.

If someone brought you meals after you had your child, what did you appreciate the most? Someone is bringing dinner over each night from our mom's club, so I know not to go overboard as they are probably going to already have lots of leftovers.

So, any menu suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

:fridge:

splotchy1 01-05-2007 02:37 AM

Re: Meal Idea(s) for a new mom

My favorite thing that someone brought me after my DD was born was a crockpot of vegetarian taco soup with a bag of tortilla chips and a baggie full of already grated cheese to put on top.
I immediately put half of what she brought into the freezer for another meal later. And, it was so yummy and healthy! It's become one of our favorite "fast food" meals, since it takes no time at all to make.

Throw the following in a crockpot and let it go for 4 hours or so...just to let the seasoning take.
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans (any kinds of beans work actually)
1 can italian flavored diced tomatoes
1/2 to 1 onion chopped
1 can corn
1 small package of mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, beans, etc)
a little garlic
taco seasoning to taste (for a new mom, I'd probably put just one package in so it isn't too spicy)

When it's cooked, they throw some cheddar cheese on top and crumble some chips on top, and voila-a yummy meal!!!

ashersmom 01-05-2007 08:06 AM

My favorite thing was...my favorite restaurant (take-out) A friend had us call in the order and she picked up and delivered it for us!

We have 4 children, 5,3,2,11weeks....so we've been there a few times

Another favorite was a simple dish that I have incorparated to our menu rotating...

1-2 lbs uncooked chicken tenders
1 bottle of favorite italian dressing
baby red potatoes (quatered)

Bake @ 375 for 45 or until tenders are dones

HTH

Theresa 01-05-2007 09:10 AM

I AM a new mom (well i have 4 kids but the newest is 3 weeks) and last night i made this recipe and it was loved by all and it cost me less than $10 and fed a family of 5 hungry eaters (no left overs)

Savory Shrimp over Wild Rice
INGREDIENTS

1 (6 ounce) package wild rice
1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
DIRECTIONS
Prepare the wild rice according to the package directions. In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, paprika, pepper, salt, and garlic. Mix well and set aside.
Heat the oil in a skillet until hot. Add the shrimp and cook on medium heat for 30 seconds. Stir the shrimp and cook for an additional 45 seconds or until opaque, stirring constantly. Add rice and tomatoes and mix well over low heat.
I let it all cook together for about ten minutes thren i served it
and i used a bit more oil and garlic alreaDY CHOPPED from the jar and frozen shrimp so it was rather easy to make

Aread 01-05-2007 09:10 AM

We do meals alot at church. I always call to make sure they aren't sick and tired of one thing! I've found people like to take chicken a lot!

Here are some things I take to new families - beef and noodles in the crockpot, meatloaf and cheesey potatoes or take out of their choice. I always give them the take out choice! Sometimes they just want a big ole pizza :)

Paulette 01-11-2007 03:25 PM

Spaghetti is real easy, and usually a good choice. They can make leftovers into baked spaghetti too. We took over crockpot curried chicken to our friends. It was actually a recipe posted here a while back. I made a bunch of stuff too before I had the baby, and froze it. Chili is nice, as is Goulash.

TwinKristi 01-11-2007 03:32 PM

Lasagna
Chicken Enchiladas (w/ crm of chicken)
Nacho Casserole

undrthtblndrumng 01-18-2007 03:27 AM

My favorite: home made mac and cheese with ham or sausage pieces. The kids loved it and it was soooooo much better than that from the box stuff. Add a salad (and some cookies for desert) ane we were set!

deejahd 01-18-2007 08:57 AM

We were really happy to get a nice home made chicken pot pie, but we are comfort food people. Also, with our first DS someone made us a thanksgiving ish meal with turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes...it was great to have that too!

happy2bhome 01-20-2007 01:30 PM

Not a food suggestion, but... :2cents: the ones I appreciated the most sent along paper plates & plastic utensils with the food.