Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   B2B mamas recipe thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808315)

cherylchoo 08-09-2009 11:55 AM

B2B mamas recipe thread

We mamas at the B2B daily chat thread have shared a LOT of recipes in our chat threads, but they are HTF later when we need them. So this thread is a holding place for said recipes so they are easy to find. You don't need to be a B2B mama to post or use these recipes, we welcome everyone to participate! Thanks everyone for sharing!

And...just in case you were wondering...B2B means back to basics, meaning we like flats, PFs, covers, and wool - the very basic stuff of cloth diapering. So if you love only prefolds or love your only prefold, feel free to join us in the B2B daily chat thread in the subforum Daily Chat Threads of Extra Fluffy.

cherylchoo 08-09-2009 11:56 AM

Re: B2B mamas recipe thread

This is one of the B2B recipes I am always searching for, Shirley's hash brown casserole and her ham cornbread casserole:

hash brown casserole
frozen shreadded potatoes
cream of chicken soup
8oz sour cream
2c cheddar (i use colby jack)
stick of butter and a tbsp for topping
onion (regular or dried minced)
salt and pepper.
1cup cornflakes

melt stick of butter, add soup and sour cream. next the onion (sometimes i also add green pepper). mix well. add potatoes and cheese. (i ofter add some hamburger and peas) put in a baking dish.
mix together melted tbs butter and crushed corn flakes and sprinkle on top.
bake at 350 for about 1 hr or until set and brown.

VERY YUMMY. and the leftovers seem even yummier.

another casserole....

ham and cornbread casserole
jiffy cornbread mix
stick of butter
cream of corn
whole kernal corn drained
3 eggs
1c milk
1~2 c ham peices (i have used hamburger cuz im a cheap B. ^%ard)
cheese for topping
salt and pepper
onion (green pepper good in it too) (all for hiding greens):giggle2:

mix melted butter, eggs, milk and cream corn. next your cornbread mix. then after its a batter i add my meat and whole kernal corn. add salt and pepper to your preference.
bake at 350 till slightly toothpic comes out clean. then add cheese to the toP.

i usually double this and it just fits a big casserole dish. also one that is awsome as leftovers, the bread absorbs all the flavors....

cherylchoo 08-09-2009 12:00 PM

Cheryl's Pumpkin Bread (makes two big loaves or about 16 mini loaves)(source unknown)

3 1/2 c flour
3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp each ginger, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg (or substitute 4 scoops of Homemade Gourmet Spice Mix)
2 c cooked pumpkin
5/8 c water
1 c oil
4 eggs
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well, add remaining wet ingredients. Mix well by hand. Pour in two greased loaf pans. Bake about 60 minutes at 350F. Can also be made in smaller pans, but usually requires less cooking time. It is done when the top of the bread springs back at the touch.

I have recently made these in cake pans, and it works fine, so you can do a heart shaped pan for Vday if you want!

I have also made this substituting mashed banana for pumpkin to make banana bread, and it is fabulous.

cherylchoo 08-09-2009 12:00 PM

Rebekah's Homemade Fries:

My Favorite Homemade Fries:

3-4 Medium Potatoes
1 tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/2 c. Parmesan Cheese
2 tbsp Olive Oil (regular, not extra virgin; or you can use vegetable oil)

Slice the potatoes julienne style. Soak in cold water for a few minutes. Pat dry with a clean towel. Toss in a bowl with all other ingredients. Bake at 400 until crispy. Yum!

cherylchoo 08-09-2009 12:01 PM

Kari's Chocolate Mug cake:

MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

1 Coffee Mug
4 tablespoons flour(that's plain flour, not self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
Small splash of vanilla
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well .
Add the egg and mix thoroughly.
Pour in the milk and oil and mix well.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts.
The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

This is perfect for 2 to share! Or if you just need a quick chocolate fix!

cherylchoo 08-09-2009 12:02 PM

Carolina's cheesecake muffins:

Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Muffins

Pre Heat oven to 350° F

Cheesecake Filling:
1 egg
1, 6 ounce package Chocolate Chips
1, 8 ounce package Cream Cheese (softened -room temperature)
1/3 cup of sugar

Chocolate Batter:
1 ½ cups of flour
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
½ cup of oil
¼ cup of cocoa (sifted)
1 Tbs vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt

Preparation:
-Line muffin wells with paper muffin cups (16-20)
-Crumble pecans into the bottom of each cup and sprinkle a couple of dried -bing cherries into each cup
-In a medium size bowl prepare the filling. Mix the cream cheese and sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy. Add an egg and beat until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside.
-In a large bowl prepare the batter. Combine all ingredients, dry and wet, and beat well.
-Fill cup cake cups about half full with chocolate batter. Top with one heaping teaspoon of filling. Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes. Makes 16-20 cupcakes

These taste best when chilled overnight.

I usually skip the pecans and cherries because I'm not a big fan.

cherylchoo 08-09-2009 12:08 PM

Cheryl's crab cakes:

1 cups crab, shredded (fresh, frozen or canned)
2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs or conrbread crumbs, or mix of both
1/2 cup minced green onion
1/8 cup minced celery
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg -- beaten
salt and pepper to taste
Flour to dust
3 tablespoons vegetable oil to fry

In a bowl, combine all ingredients except the flour and oil.

I shape the crab cakes with a 1/3 cup measure and flatten slightly. Dust lightly with flour. In a skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Sauté the crab cakes in the skillet on both sides about 10 minutes or until golden brown. I can usually get 9-10 cakes out of this, or sometimes I add a little more bread to make it an even dozen.

bethsflutterby 08-09-2009 12:25 PM

Delicious Whole Wheat Bread
makes 2 loaves
Crystal Miller

2 cups warm water
1/3 cup honey
1 T yeast
1/3 cut olive oil
2 t. salt
1/3 cup gluten flour
5 to 7 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour

In a large bowl or in a large mixer (such as a Kitchen Aid or Bosch type) combine the water, yeast and honey. Let sit for a few minutes to give the yeast a chance to start working. Add the salt, oil, gluten flour and 3 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Continue to add more flour until the dough does not stick to the side of the bowl and does not feel sticky to the touch. Knead for 4 minutes in a Bosch mixer or 7 to 10 in other mixers or 10 to 15 minutes by hand.

When dough has finished kneading let it rise once until doubled in bulk (unless you are using a Bosch type mixer and in this case you can skip the 1st rising). Punch down dough and divide it into 2 pieces and form into loaves and set in bread pans.

Let it rise in a slightly warm oven (this means that you turn the oven on for just 2 or 3 min. or until you can feel the heat and then turn it off, if it is too hot then it will kill the yeast) for 15 to 25 minutes or until the dough is ½ inch above top of pan. Turn oven to 350 (without taking bread out) and bake for approx. 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Nut and Honey Twists

1 Tbs yeast
1/4 C warm water
2 Tbs cane juice crystals
1 tsp salt
2 Tbs butter, melted
1 C sour cream
1 egg
2 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour, more as needed
2 Tbs. Gluten flour

**Glaze**
1/3 C sucanat
3 Tbs butter, melted
3 Tbs honey, warmed
3 Tbs heavy cream or canned milk

**Filling**
1/3 C butter, softened
1/4 C finely chopped nuts
1/4 C honey

In a mixing bowl, combine yeast and water. Stir in sugar, salt and butter. Add sour cream and egg, beat until smooth. Add 1 1/2 C flour. Blend at low speed until moistened. Blend 3 min. at medium. Add enough flour until dough is soft but not to sticky.

Combine glazed ingredients, sprad evenly in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish; set aside. Punch down dough roll into a 24x9 inch rectangle.

Combine filling ingredients, spread over dough.

Fold dough lengthwise over filling, forming a 24x 4 1/2 inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 2 inch widths approx and about 4 to 5 inches tall. Twist each piece loosely and place over glaze in baking dish. Cover and let rise until double in size,about an hour.

Bake @ 350*F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Invert plan onto a large platter: let set 1 minute before removing. Serve warm or refrigerate overnight.

bethsflutterby 08-09-2009 12:26 PM

ETA: I found these and several recipes on THIS site...I LOVE this site for recipes/ living frugally, homesteading, ETC!!!!!

Crockpot Potato, Ham and Cheese

4 cups cooked ham, cut into chunks
4 Tbsp Butter
½ cup chopped onions
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 cups homemade white sauce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 qts. mashed potatoes
2 cups sour cream

1. Sautee onions in butter until soft. In crockpot mix together ham, softened onions, and Worcestershire sauce. Place in large crock pot or divide between 2 smaller ones.
2. Heat your white sauce up slightly and mix in cheddar cheese. Pour this over the ham mixture in the crockpot.
3. Mix your mashed potatoes and sour cream together and spread this over the ham/white sauce mixture.
4. Cover. Cook on low 3 to 4 hours, and everything is bubbly and hot

Italian Beef

1 3lb beef roast
1 cup water
1 t chopped garlic, or more if you love garlic like we do
½ medium onion, sliced thin
2 t Italian seasonings
1 t salt
½ t pepper
½ t cane juice crystals
1 jar (12 to 16 oz) greek pepperoncini’s

The night before you want to serve this meal place roast and water in crockpot and set on low. In the morning there should be lots of juices. Using 2 forks shred beef. Add garlic, onion, seasonings and stir well. Now add the pepperoncini’s and as much of the juice from the jar as you would like (according to your tastes).

Let this continue to cook on low for the remainder of the day. Serve on toasted whole wheat hamburger buns or brown rice.

Cheesy Chicken and Rice (for the crockpot)
1 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
3T olive oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup (organic kind such as the brand Amy’s)
1 can evaporated milk
2 to 3 cups grated cheese
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 can green beans, drained
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a medium sized frying cook onions, mushrooms and chicken in the olive oil until chicken is no longer pink and veggies are soft. Put in crockpot. Add remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.

bethsflutterby 08-09-2009 12:30 PM

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter (peanuts only), the kind without added sugar and oils
2 cups Sucanat
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2c. oats
1 ½ cups freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour (you can use 1 ¼ cups if your whole wheat flour is not freshly ground)
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
¼ t. salt

In a mixing bowl (a stand mixer works best) cream butter, peanut butter and Sucanat. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Now add flour, oats, baking powder, soda and salt and beat well. Place rounded teaspoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for about 12 minutes. Makes approx. 6 dozen

MEL'S Taco in a PAN :D

"tacos in a pan."
brown 1pd.Ground beef/onions/peppers
add 2 C. water and 1pk taco seasoning. bring to boil
add 2C. Minute Rice, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minute.
garnish With cheese/sour cream on top, and corn chips or totilla chips for scooping