Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   DS won't "stand"!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80883)

rylan'smomma 01-05-2007 04:18 PM

DS won't "stand"!!

I don't know if this is weird or not, but I notice it when I see other babies Rylan's age. I notice that alot of babies when you stand them up on their feet they stand up. They sort of lock their knees and are standing (of course being held). Rylan is almost 8 mos and has never done this. He goes into a jolly jumper sometimes but when you try and stand him he is sort of like a wet noodle and just doesn't do it. He is achieving all other developmental milestones and I think he will likely crawl soon. He has tried pulling himself up under the coffee table while laying down to more of a sitting position but not pulling from sitting to stand. I am not sure if he should be pulling from sitting to standing. Anyone know or have any input?

urchin_grey 01-05-2007 05:26 PM

Re: DS won't "stand"!!

Hmm... I would have it checked out just to be on the safe side. My DS has a joint malformation so he has very low muscle tone and he used to do the exact same thing (the noodle effect you're talking about). Our neuro. was going to do an MRI of his spine but we found out it was more of an orthopaedic thing rather than neurologic. But from my understanding, they should be pushing from the ground from a pretty young age - my friend has a baby four months younger than DS and I know she's been "standing" since at least 2 months old so I have been around what's "normal" and what's not.

So I would get it checked out with your pedi. S/he might give you a referral to see a neurologist just to check it out. :hugs:

KnottyLDSMama 01-05-2007 05:30 PM

:yeahthat: I believe it's a reflex that babies should have...when you put their feet against something, they should lock their knees and try to stand. DS has been doing it probably since he was 2 months old. He's 9 months today and has been pulling up to standing for about a month now.

leeann82 01-05-2007 06:30 PM

:dunno: one of my girls doesn't do it either:dunno:

I never really thought about it before, we always call her Lazy Lucy because well, she is. :giggle:

sienna 01-05-2007 06:43 PM

My ds wouldn't do it till waaaay past 8 months. He could do it, but he rarely did. He was on the later (but normal) side for milestones...sat at 9 months, crawled at 14 months and walked at 18 months. He was and still is a 'sitter' who would rather sit in the sandbox than run maniacally like most other boys. He is a thinker not a mover. He is (and was) completely normal in every respect just took him longer to really get mastery over gross motor.

Just don't let stories of 10 month old walkers make you forget that everything has a range, and walking for one has an AVERAGE age of 15 months...which means it falls on both sides.

I guess what you want to do is distinguish between not being able to do it and just not wanting to. My ds just didn't WANT to.

S

ShayneLeMaster 01-05-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonprysm (Post 597278)
:yeahthat: I believe it's a reflex that babies should have...when you put their feet against something, they should lock their knees and try to stand. DS has been doing it probably since he was 2 months old. He's 9 months today and has been pulling up to standing for about a month now.

It is a reflex.. that they actually check for at birth... the stepping kinda thing babies will do once pressure is put on their foot .. like standing..

Julesmom23girls 01-05-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sienna (Post 597516)
My ds wouldn't do it till waaaay past 8 months. He could do it, but he rarely did. He was on the later (but normal) side for milestones...sat at 9 months, crawled at 14 months and walked at 18 months. He was and still is a 'sitter' who would rather sit in the sandbox than run maniacally like most other boys. He is a thinker not a mover. He is (and was) completely normal in every respect just took him longer to really get mastery over gross motor.

Just don't let stories of 10 month old walkers make you forget that everything has a range, and walking for one has an AVERAGE age of 15 months...which means it falls on both sides.

I guess what you want to do is distinguish between not being able to do it and just not wanting to. My ds just didn't WANT to.

S

MY nephew was like this and he is a perfectly healthy 11 year old. but I would say it is definately worth mentioning to your ped, just to be safe

sienna 01-05-2007 07:31 PM

Stepping is a newborn reflex, but he would have been tested for that and if he hadn't passed you know it.

Standing with kness locked is not the same thing.

S