Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   How consistent is your letdown? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811358)

NancyB 08-13-2009 01:44 PM

How consistent is your letdown?

I pump at work 3x daily. I have been back at work for 2 months. I am starting to notice I don't have a "complete" letdown. I can pump for 15 minutes and only get 2 oz total. It is quite variable though, sometimes I can have a good letdown and get 6 oz in 15 min.

I am pretty sure the LO can do the same amount of work in about 7 min as I can get from 20min of pumping...

TuthGuru 08-13-2009 03:03 PM

Re: How consistent is your letdown?

Well, for me even though my pumping schedule at work is basically non-existent (because I just have to pump in between patients when I get a chance) my letdown always comes almost immediately. On the other hand, the amount expressed varies greatly depending on the length of time between sessions.

ETA: Oh, and yeah- nursing definitely seems to produce more than pumping! I have to pump an extra bottle in the morning at home to make up for what I will not be able to pump during the day.

Goinatural 08-13-2009 03:20 PM

Ds usually eats every 2.5 hours, maybe a little before. So at work if I don't pump by around then my milk will let down. Especially if I am thinking "Oh I need to pump" lol. Mine seems to let down pretty strong. I've noticed for sure though if I let down before I go pump I don't get as much so I always try to make it there first.

NancyB 08-13-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goinatural (Post 8110575)
Ds usually eats every 2.5 hours, maybe a little before. So at work if I don't pump by around then my milk will let down. Especially if I am thinking "Oh I need to pump" lol. Mine seems to let down pretty strong. I've noticed for sure though if I let down before I go pump I don't get as much so I always try to make it there first.

You let down before you feed or pump?

TuthGuru 08-13-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyB (Post 8113754)

That wasn't me saying that, but sure- when you leak you're letting down right?

MomE2MathU 08-14-2009 07:50 AM

I also have a variable pumping schedule because of my job (working on an ambulance subject to 911 calls). I get let down within about 30 seconds but depending on how long it's been since I last pumped I only get about 2 ounces from each side on average. Sometimes if I'm really relaxed I'll get a second let down about 10 minutes after I started. And I also let down/leak a lot of times before I can get to the pump. My LO nurses about every two hours but at work I only pump every 2.5 to 3 hours so usually at the 2 hour mark I let down automatically. But it's too hard to try and pump that often at work.

Kriket 08-14-2009 08:43 AM

I always try to get two let downs. I always have milk "in the wings" then after an initial 2 oz or so I have to take the pump off let my nipples rest, do some nipple exercises and massage and I will get another let down. Otherwise it seems to just back up in there and get sore. I got bigger flanges today, so hopefully with a little experimenting I can get more efficient.

Goinatural 08-14-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyB (Post 8113754)

Yep if I get full or if its close to pumping time. I definately am not full at pumping time since I pump every 2.5 hours but my boobs know its time to pump I guess. :giggle: But yes especially if I start to think Oh its time I need to go! my milk will let down before I get there.

rachelcgray 08-15-2009 07:36 PM

i was having let down issues my first few days back at working and pumping. what helped me:

massaging beforehand

getting the right angle. for me my nipple needs to be right up against the outside edge of the horn.

i stop after a few oz., release suction and start again with the faster/beginning speed to get a second, and sometimes third let down.

i also need to be pretty distracted (checking email, reading etc.)

now that i have those things down, it usually takes little time to let down.

Oakleaf 08-18-2009 10:28 PM

I am conditioned to the sound of my pump so that I sometimes let down faster to my pump than to my ds!