Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Weaning from BF at 12 months (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8138)

Ashley 05-23-2006 11:58 AM

Weaning from BF at 12 months

I am amazed that a lot of women on this site are still breastfeeding (at night too!) their kids who are older than mine. HOW DO YOU DO IT? I can't take the sleep deprivation....How do you survive?

Another question...My DS just turned 1 on Sunday. He BF's 3 times a day (morning, noon, night) when I'm at home and when I work 3 days a week, he BF's morning and night and gets a sippy cup of pumped breast milk or soy milk at noon. I'm ready to wean and don't know what to do...should I stop pumping at noon at work and replace that nursing/feeding time with a sippy cup of Breast milk or soy milk? And then drop off another feeding after a few weeks? I don't mind BFing twice a day, but am going out of town for 4 days at end of June and don't really want to pump then...will my supply stop if I don't?

yellowcampcat 05-23-2006 12:03 PM

Re: Weaning from BF at 12 months

I weaned my dd at 12 months. Good for you for going right to a sippy cup--I went to a bottle and now she loves it. oops!
I would cut out the noontime nursing session and replace it with milk in a cup. After a week or so, then cut out the nursing session he likes the least - maybe morning? and just replace it with breakfast and water/milk from a cup. I stopped the evening one last. If you give your body about a week between dropping feedings it will adjust and you won't get engorged. HTH.

OneFabMama 05-23-2006 12:43 PM

My DD will be 12mo. Saturday and Ive elimanated any day nursing. I give her Vit D milk in a sippy cup.
I only nurse in the AM and and night before bed if she does wake up in the middle of the night I quickly nurse (1-2 Minutes) and she is back asleep and good until morning.
But, Im at a loss of of how to elimate early AM feedings and bedtime feeding. I will probably keep up with the bed time nursing for a little while longer.

bfoster2000 05-23-2006 12:48 PM

Cutting out the pumping at work is a good start. If you're ok with nursing twice a day, why bother changing what isn't broken? When you go out of town, you and your baby will both be fine. I had to go out of town for four days on business when DJ was 15 months old. At that time, he was still nursing to sleep, 1-3 times during the night, first thing in the morning, and a couple of times a day when we were together (he had started refusing breastmilk in a cup when I was at work). I was a little worried but we were both fine. He stayed with my mother while I was gone. She had plenty of milk on hand in case he wanted it. The first night, he went to bed ok but woke up about an hour later. She offered him both a cup and a bottle of milk but he wouldn't take either and just went back to sleep. After that, he slept through the night the whole time! I had taken my pump with me but because of my schedule, I only got to pump a couple of times the first day. I wasn't miserable, so I figured it was ok. The next day I pumped first thing in the morning, at lunch, and at bedtime. After that, I didn't pump anymore at all. I was slightly full, but not engorged by any means. I was hoping that when I got home, DJ would just give up on nursing but he didn't. As soon as we walked in the house, he asked. That afternoon/evening/night, he seemed a little frustrated with my supply but by the next day, he was back on his normal routine which we were both happy with. He weaned himself at almost 19 months (when I was 4 months pregnant). I was VERY happy that he gave it up at that point, but I was also content to continue as long as he needed it. We cosleep so the nighttime sessions weren't too bad and the rest of it didn't bother me at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Ashley 05-23-2006 01:21 PM

Just after I posted my question, I did some internet research on extended breasfteeding and realize that the fact my DS has NEVER been sick once in his entire first year of life is probably not simply luck...I never thought I'd survive Bfing for a full year, and I did, so Bfing for another year might be possible if DS wants to keep at it...I'm glad to know that you all are out there to help me!
We have our 1 yr. appointment this week with the Pediatrician and I am looking forward to hearing his thoughts on 'extended' breastfeeding.

ChurchPunkMom 05-23-2006 02:38 PM

:thumbsup:

aimeemarie 05-23-2006 03:55 PM

Way to go MAMA! That is an awesome decision. :)

momeeboys 05-23-2006 04:19 PM

YAY! You can do it mama!

Nursed DS1 until 22 months. DS2 is 12 mos and no signs of stopping by either of us. Your MD may or not be supportive. But WHO (World Health Organization) recommends breastfeeding until two years. Find a LLL near you if you need more support.

As far as nighttime nursing. We co-sleep. Much easier than waking to nurse. And I'm all about the easy!

sparkygirl74 05-23-2006 04:35 PM

DD is almost eighteen months and I can't even imagine life without BF. I know it will happen someday, but I am not eager for that day. To me weaning seems harder than bf:laugh:

TaivensMama 05-23-2006 08:15 PM

:goodvibes: Oh that is GREAT news! There are so many benefits to both of you from extended breastfeeding..(including lowering your risk of breast cancer!) I nursed for 2 1/2 years and LOVED it. So glad to see you are researching and doing what's best for you both seeing as he still has an interest to nurse. Makes me gitty when mom's decide to change their minds and nurse a while longer :) :hugs: Good luck to you and also many docs have mixed views on the subject so don't let him sway you out of it...many friends had docs telling them to stop at 6 months! Anyhow let us know what he says! :)