Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Thanks for the help. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81771)

betty_joanne 01-07-2007 07:55 PM

Thanks for the help.

Removing this.

lilmama2dsndd 01-07-2007 08:06 PM

Re: What age did you start time outs?

DS starting going to time out about 15 months, but didn't stay until about 18 months. DD started @ 15 months also, but from watching her brother, she knew to stay. My sister has done the corner with her DD to get her to stop biting and she is 14 months, she never stayed however, so they would just stand behind her and hold her facing the corner, it worked and she has stopped the biting.

My DC now only have to be asked if they want to go to the corner, they say no and stop whatever it is they shouldn't be doing.

as far as timing go 1 min per year of age, if you even make it that long, usually 20-30 secs was enough to acheive correct attitudes.

pottymomma 01-07-2007 08:11 PM

Not that I am totally against time out...but at that age, I haven't found that it would really "work". I find the best strategy at this age is distraction. Not only distraction when you want them to stay out of something off limits, but distraction from their grumpy mood sometimes too. Going outside is one thing that improves everyone's mood around here. Take a bath. Play in the tupperware cupboard. Sort through a junk drawer (with supervision). Playdough. Anything sensory stimulating...pouring rice or liquids, shaving creme or whipped creme on a cookie pan, shallow box with pebbles and a scooper, use your imagination...

Here is a pic of my 18 month old in his "rock box":
http://usera.imagecave.com/pottymomm...06035-copy.jpg

mom_of_3g_1b 01-07-2007 10:58 PM

My girls are 16 months and we have started time outs/time away. For example yesterday Dylan purposefully pulled her sister out of the chair she was sitting in then head butts her all to get the chair for herself. DH took her to her room for maybe a minute and left her. We also told her that we don't accept hurting others in our house. I don't like time out as a word more just removing them from the situation.

GrowingUpMad 01-08-2007 04:52 AM

If I remember correctly they started when the biting started, 15 months. She didn't understand but she was biting so hard (drawing blood) that it needed to be done (nothing else worked). I'd say she actually understood at 18 months what time out actually meant. I say distraction works best until about 2 years old or so unless you have a determined child as I do.

FancifulFanny 01-08-2007 07:18 AM

DS still won't stay in a time out. I have gotten him to go to his room, and DH had to do ti yesterday so, that makes twice. The rest of the time all I have to do is ask,"Do you need to go to your room?" and he shapes up.

I do a lot of the distraction and trying to get him to understand the feelings - are you angry, does that make you angry...etc...

FancifulFanny 01-08-2007 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottymomma (Post 604881)
Not that I am totally against time out...but at that age, I haven't found that it would really "work". I find the best strategy at this age is distraction. Not only distraction when you want them to stay out of something off limits, but distraction from their grumpy mood sometimes too. Going outside is one thing that improves everyone's mood around here. Take a bath. Play in the tupperware cupboard. Sort through a junk drawer (with supervision). Playdough. Anything sensory stimulating...pouring rice or liquids, shaving creme or whipped creme on a cookie pan, shallow box with pebbles and a scooper, use your imagination...

Here is a pic of my 18 month old in his "rock box":
http://usera.imagecave.com/pottymomm...06035-copy.jpg

LOVE the rock box, that's a great idea.

jenn5388 01-08-2007 11:51 AM

Miranda started biting when she was 10 months old. She started spending time in her crib at that age for it too. I wouldn't really call it time out for her, it was more of a time out for me. lol But she did stop biting. It only took a couple times in her crib before she realized that biting landed her there. Maybe she's just smarter than I thought, or maybe the phase ended but either way it stopped. now at 28 months old I've done the time outs thing in her room since, however it's kind of lost it's appeal unless she really wants out to do something outside of her room because now i'm just sending her to her room, but she's got toys in there. lol I've thought about clearing her room of toys before, but I remember the time i stuck her in the corner and she actually played with the wall.. So, I don't think it would really matter. lol

Alot of the times just saying "stop or you'll go to your room" is enough to make her stop doing whatever she's doing. :)

Good luck!

tillers72 01-08-2007 11:57 AM

I would say that for us, redirection at that age was much more effective than time out...that didn't really start sinking in till he was nearly 3!!!

laneylue+2 01-08-2007 12:25 PM

I think 15 months is too young. DD didn't really understand time-out until she was around 20 months.