Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Day care question - wwyd? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81884)

driftymaer 01-08-2007 07:07 AM

Day care question - wwyd?

We're having a debate over keeping dd in day care. She goes one day a week on one of the days that ds goes to give me a chance/break to get some of the stuff I normally cant do when she's around. Ds goes 3 days. With her being sick and having the seisure last week everyone is screaming at me not to put her back in. I kinda agree but on the other hand she's still going to be exposed with her brother going to school. They say I want to send her so I can be selfish and have a day to myself-well yea i do like having one day to myself once in a while-dh is gone for weeks at a time and I'm trying to handle all of this by myself, but having her home isn't really going to kill me either. I'd rather her home and safe than the alternative. I'm going to talk to her pulminologist about it this afternoon-her ped is kinda on the fence like me. I don't mean send her back right this week-I won't send her until I know that she is completely over this virus and better again. I just mean in the future. Please don't bash me-I'm too tired and I haven't slept more than 40 minutes at a time since last wednesday, and now ds is sick with a super bad sore throat and fever. He goes at 1 to the ped and she goes at 11:15. I just need a few clear brains to hash this out with me. Thanks

FancifulFanny 01-08-2007 07:14 AM

Re: Day care question - wwyd?

If she gets the okay from the doctors I think it's fine. You need the time for you and as long as she is healthy that's fine. You have to take care of you, too and having that time to get stuff done allows you to focus more on the kids when they are home. I think you;re approaching it EXACTLY the right way.:goodvibes:

havanadaydreamin 01-08-2007 07:16 AM

I may be a little biased since DD is in daycare full time, but I think that it is good for kids to be exposed to other kids in settings like that. It helps them learn to interact with others, and one day a week isn't like you are abandoning her... They have Mom's mornings out and stuff like that all the time for SAHM's so they can get some stuff done that they normally couldn't do.

I'm sure that people would call me selfish b/c sometimes, when my work is out and daycare isn't, I take DD to daycare so that I can have a day to myself as well.

MCR 01-08-2007 10:51 AM

If the docs say it's OK I'd send her back. With Dh gone you don't get a break, you need a little time to get things done and maybe rest.
If she enjoys the DC then it's all good.

doberbrat 01-08-2007 01:14 PM

give yourself a break. its not like you're at the local spa downing martinis.

if you dont have time to yourself, you cant be the best parent you can be. Unlike most of us, it seems like your dh cant give you a break so if you can afford it and she's healthy enough, by all means.

TwinKristi 01-08-2007 01:24 PM

ITA that if its ok with her dr than that is a totally reasonable idea. Its not like you're sending her to DC all day every day to be by yourself, having some time to yourself to run errands, go shopping, etc. KID FREE while your dh is gone is awesome! Our local gymnastics place has a Parents Night Out once a month during school that you can bring them from 6-10pm. Its a great idea!

driftymaer 01-08-2007 01:32 PM

Thanks ladies-it looks like ds has the same thing she does. Both the Dr.s said that she can go back to the daycare once she's better. Dh will be back in 3 weeks-he left yesterday afternoon to go back to MI. I'm most likely going to keep them both home this week to make sure that they are better. DD goes back to the Ped. on friday and then we get to schedule her for some more tests. lol I definately think I could use one of those martini's right about now. I'm waiting to hear back from the realtor to see if the people accepted our counter offer-and I refuse to answer the phone if my mnl calls-dh agrees with me.

She took everything I told her and twisted it around saying that I was making this so hard on dh for having to travel back and forth and how alone he is........that I won't let him sell the house because the baby is sick. what I actually said was that I was waiting to hear back from the realtor, that we were gona counter offer and that it would be a few months anyways until we closed (the lady has to sell her house) and that hopefully we'll be all set with dd but that I don't want to take her out to MI and start with new Dr.s that I don't know, and that we would stay here with my parents until they have all of ehr testing done. After all was said and done I simply told dh that I'm done with all of the crap and they can all F off for all I care-when she's runnign across a parking lot carrying her child that isn't breathing and somehow manage to keep it all together and deal with all of the other **** then her opinion will matter to me. Ok I'm done venting for now-just had to get that out. Thanks for reading if you've got this far.

lilmama2dsndd 01-08-2007 10:00 PM

I could have written your post! Both my DC are in DCP FT because I am a WOHM, but there are days when my work is out that I have them go to school anyway. They enjoy playing with the other kids, and with my SO offshore for 6 weeks at a time, I get no relief at home and sometimes just need to be able to clean without stepping over DC or sew without getting my legs hanged on or take a bath without getting splashed in the face by the 2 DC in the tub with me.

:hugs: There is nothing wrong with needing time to yourself. And for what its worth, my DD had 6 seizures from Jan of 06 to June of 06, and went back to DCP usually the day after each as I couldn't afford to miss work. Seizures aren't something that are predictable and if one is going to happen, it is going to happen, where your DC are or who they are with isn't going to start/stop a seizure. :hugs:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-08-2007 10:13 PM

:hugs: maer, you are doing whats right, let the dr's give you the go ahead and put her back in daycare, you need your day off and deserve it with everythig that you've been going through, call me anytime:bighug: