Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is Zofran safe?? Please share what you know! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819381)

floweringmama 08-24-2009 04:50 PM

Is Zofran safe?? Please share what you know!

I just got back from an OB appt today. I'm 12 weeks along. She gave me a prescription for Zofran because I have had nausea really bad. She acted like it was soo no big deal, but it freaks me out! What do you ladies know about it? I read on line that the FDA has given it a number 2 rating for safety for pregnancy. However, I also read that it has not "been determined to be safe for pregnancy" yet either. I don't know what to do! I am soo tired of feeling like ick and not getting anything done, yet I am scared to death to take something that might harm my baby! :cry: I know some have taken it, with no problems so far..but what about problems that dont show up immediately??

What do you all think?

adriannemae 08-24-2009 05:00 PM

Re: Is Zofran safe?? Please share what you know!

Special information if you are pregnant or breastfeeding

"The effects of Zofran during pregnancy have not been adequately studied. If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Zofran may appear in breast milk and could affect a nursing infant. If Zofran is essential to your health, your doctor may advise you to discontinue breastfeeding until your treatment with Zofran is finished"

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/zofran.html

redone5683 08-24-2009 05:14 PM

I took it with both of my pregnancies. For me the benefits outweighed the risks. I was being hospitalized for dehydration, I needed something and I had tried EVERYTHING else out there, natural or medical! Both my kids appear to be fine... but that doesn't mean anything...

TwinKristi 08-24-2009 05:17 PM

With a drug like this you really have to weigh the pros and cons to taking it. If you don't take it, will you be able to maintain your normal life and health? Some people say no, that morning sickness is so severe that they can't do anything. They lose weight throughout their entire pregnancy and if a mom is thin to begin with, that will effect the baby. If your morning sickness isn't that bad and doesn't effect your daily life or weight gain, than it probably isn't necessary.
Not that I'm comparing my story to your's, I honestly don't know your's, but my dr wouldn't give it to me. I even begged. I had to call and talk to a nurse who specialized in hyperemesis gravidarum and be referred from there for intervention. I was hospitalized at least 3 times for IV fluids by 12wks, by 24wks I hadn't gained a lb. I was on Tigan and other anti-emetics, but they wouldn't give me Zofran.
Another friend of a friend had such horrible HG that she started having enzyme problems? They had to do a bunch of blood tests and stuff and ended up giving her a Zofran pump (goes in your thigh) and even THAT didn't completely stop the vomitting. They tried giving her some steroids (methylprednisolone) that supposedly helps in the most extreme cases and it did within days! She started gaining weight and could eat and not vomit. It was awesome but I believe she had to go to the hospital for a treatment, she couldn't take it at home orally or in a pump.
Anyway, if it's not bothering you enough to want to treat it with an Rx than don't take it. But if it's bothering you and you're super sick all day and need to go to the ER for fluids than take it!

MotherMoonPads 08-24-2009 05:19 PM

I was offered a script for it and turned it down after doing some research. The risks weren't worth it to me.

floweringmama 08-24-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwinKristi (Post 8206974)
With a drug like this you really have to weigh the pros and cons to taking it. If you don't take it, will you be able to maintain your normal life and health? Some people say no, that morning sickness is so severe that they can't do anything. They lose weight throughout their entire pregnancy and if a mom is thin to begin with, that will effect the baby. If your morning sickness isn't that bad and doesn't effect your daily life or weight gain, than it probably isn't necessary.
Not that I'm comparing my story to your's, I honestly don't know your's, but my dr wouldn't give it to me. I even begged. I had to call and talk to a nurse who specialized in hyperemesis gravidarum and be referred from there for intervention. I was hospitalized at least 3 times for IV fluids by 12wks, by 24wks I hadn't gained a lb. I was on Tigan and other anti-emetics, but they wouldn't give me Zofran.
Another friend of a friend had such horrible HG that she started having enzyme problems? They had to do a bunch of blood tests and stuff and ended up giving her a Zofran pump (goes in your thigh) and even THAT didn't completely stop the vomitting. They tried giving her some steroids (methylprednisolone) that supposedly helps in the most extreme cases and it did within days! She started gaining weight and could eat and not vomit. It was awesome but I believe she had to go to the hospital for a treatment, she couldn't take it at home orally or in a pump.
Anyway, if it's not bothering you enough to want to treat it with an Rx than don't take it. But if it's bothering you and you're super sick all day and need to go to the ER for fluids than take it!

Thanks for the response. Would you mind telling me what your doctor said when you asked for Zofran? Was there any specific thing they mentioned as a reason for not prescribing it? My morning sickness isn't anywhere near bad enough to go to the emergency room, but is bad none the less. I pretty much just lay around feeling really sick most of the day :( So, I am caught because health wise, I believe I can get through without it, but, man...I feel rough.

mommajewels 08-24-2009 05:26 PM

I took it with 3 of my pregnancies, my first to week 16 due to very severe Hypermesis Gravidarum...

I had healthy pregnancies, great deliveries, and all three of them are perfectly healthy kiddos. My midwife would never even consider giving me something that wasnt safe so when she recommends and/or prescribes a med to me, I have no problem trusting her judgement.

katina128 08-24-2009 05:56 PM

I couldn't have made it without it. It's a miracle drug, I tell ya! I trust my OB's judgement and since it's category B, I took it with no problems at all. My baby is happy and healthy.

TwinKristi 08-24-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajewels (Post 8207048)
I took it with 3 of my pregnancies, my first to week 16 due to very severe Hypermesis Gravidarum...

I had healthy pregnancies, great deliveries, and all three of them are perfectly healthy kiddos. My midwife would never even consider giving me something that wasnt safe so when she recommends and/or prescribes a med to me, I have no problem trusting her judgement.

Each provider has their own experiences with different medications. I don't think any provider would intentionally give a patient a medication that would hard them, but it happens anyway. I'm not referring to Zofran necessarily. My OB had refilled an Rx for a patient for a narcotic nasal spray (stadol) that was found to be safe during pregnancy and to neonates even though it's a class C drug. My dr delivered the baby and it scored like 4 & 5 on it's Apgars and went into withdrawl from the Stadol. She had never in 20yrs had that happen. After that her patients must wean off it by 34wks. Some dr's see nothing wrong with giving patients Rx's for pain meds. Some do. My MW used Cytotec on me for my induction but a LOT of people think that med should be taken off the market, especially for use during inductions. I trusted my MW to make the right choice and for me it was, but others have had horrible experiences with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by floweringmama (Post 8207033)
Thanks for the response. Would you mind telling me what your doctor said when you asked for Zofran? Was there any specific thing they mentioned as a reason for not prescribing it? My morning sickness isn't anywhere near bad enough to go to the emergency room, but is bad none the less. I pretty much just lay around feeling really sick most of the day :( So, I am caught because health wise, I believe I can get through without it, but, man...I feel rough.

No, she didn't give me any reason why not. It's an expensive medication (esp 4.5yrs ago) and I thought that was her reasoning, not risk factors. From what I know, Zofran is for treatment of Hypermesis Gravidarum which is typically diagnosed after 3 trips to get fluids for rehydration or ketones in your urine showing dehydration. If you only have nausea and just feel crummy all day, I wouldn't take it. Unfortunatly I had ALOT of the symptoms of HG and never got Zofran. I'm not sure if you're just not comfortable taking ANYTHING while pregnant, but if you're really looking for something to help combat the sickies that is safe try making your own Diclectin with B6 and Unisom tablets, BOTH safe during pregnancy. "DiclectinŽ consists of a combination of 10 mg of doxylamine succinate and 10 mg of pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6)" the bolded medication is what Unisom is made of. HERE is a list that shows what medications are safe during pregnancy and is listed under both insomnia and nausea. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Hyperemesis gravidarum may develop rapidly within a few weeks or gradually over a few months. Individuals with hyperemesis gravidarum experience severe and persistent nausea and vomiting that occur before the 20th week of pregnancy (gestation) and are severe enough to result in progressive weight loss of greater than five percent of their original body weight. In addition, frequent vomiting may also lead to dehydration and vitamin and mineral deficit. Hyperemesis gravidarum often leads to hospitalization to restore lost fluids and nutrients to affected women.
Quote:

HG (Hyperemesis Gravidarium) is characterized by severe nausea and vomiting and can lead to dehydration, weight loss and nutritional deficiencies. This condition needs to be supervised by your medical care professional to make sure mom and baby stay as healthy as possible.

Symptoms of Hyperemesis Gravidarium

•Severe nausea
•Persistent excessive vomiting (more than 3 or 4 times a day)
•Dehydration.
•A decrease in urination due to dehydration.
•Maternal weight loss or failure to gain weight.
•Rapid heartbeat.
•Headaches and confusion.
•Skin may become pale-looking and dry.

Aradiakali 08-25-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

try making your own Diclectin with B6 and Unisom tablets, BOTH safe during pregnancy.
I did this and it worked great! I was sleepy all the time, but it was worth it.