Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Potty Learning how far off? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82009)

SarahJane 01-08-2007 11:51 AM

Potty Learning how far off?

Ok, I know that is a crazy question, but I'm going through our son's stash and weeding out the things that are getting too small or just don't fit right. Wondering when he'll start to learn. I know I should NOT buy any more diapers, but it takes the fun out of it all. :smiley_haha: Anyway, how early did you start training your boy? I've heard they can be later.......

titania 01-08-2007 06:03 PM

Re: Potty Learning how far off?

my friend's son is learning right now, though at a very relazed pace. he is 18 months. but i have seen boys (and girls for that matter) take as long as 4 years, so its really anyone's guess. you are probably the best judge of that. best way to go about it is to buy more diapers! :lostit: isn't that the way things work? buy more diapers and the kid learns to use the potty? :giggle:

partyelf 01-08-2007 06:14 PM

My dd is the same age as your son. She goes about twice on the potty a day now, so no more buying diapers for us. I've started to add some trainers to our stash. Does he show any signs of interest in the potty? We've been taking it at her pace around here.

SarahJane 01-08-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partyelf (Post 608831)
My dd is the same age as your son. She goes about twice on the potty a day now, so no more buying diapers for us. I've started to add some trainers to our stash. Does he show any signs of interest in the potty? We've been taking it at her pace around here.

Wow! Good for her. I have a feeling that we're getting close. He has followed me in and likes to read a book about it (need to get a boy version, :giggle: ). He doesn't talk much at all yet, which is the main reason I'm waiting. Our communication is ok, but mostly him listening. He is developing bladder control. Wakes up dry from most naps and goes at least an hour between wets.... if that makes sence. I want to wait until he can at least pull his pants up and down, which may be easier in the spring.

SarahJane 01-08-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titania (Post 608807)
my friend's son is learning right now, though at a very relazed pace. he is 18 months. but i have seen boys (and girls for that matter) take as long as 4 years, so its really anyone's guess. you are probably the best judge of that. best way to go about it is to buy more diapers! :lostit: isn't that the way things work? buy more diapers and the kid learns to use the potty? :giggle:

Isn't that the truth! I just bought our first fitted diaper and love it.... I guess it should be my last too..... :cry:

Leininger27 01-08-2007 08:17 PM

Well I would say follow his lead. Don't push it. Has he tried sitting on the potty? My ds1 and ds2 were potty trained when they were 19Months. Dd on the other hand was 3 (and they say girls are easier) Ha I disagree!!!! LOL
They showed a lot of interest in the potty. Both of them could talk though. Ds2 would tell me as soon as he finished going potty in cloth which is why I knew we were close! I wouldn't worry too much about them being able to pull their pants up/down because that will take time. My ds2 still has problems pulling them up depending on what he is wearing.

Katherine 01-08-2007 08:40 PM

We're just starting w/ our 18 mo daughter. She sits on her little potty when I go, and has peed in it once (yay!). Definitly follow his lead. One thing I'm working on w/ dd is signing when she's ready to go - she loves signing, and all her "p" words are jumbled together right now, so I don't know if it's potty, pillow, pretty, or please that she's trying to say. I wouldn't get rid of those diapers just yet - that's a sure way to get them to regress. I'm waiting till it's warm to really try for real - she can run around in just a fitted and feel when she wets then, and it'll be easier for her to work her clothes, then, too, and she'll probably be able to say the words better by then.