Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breast infection (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82344)

carleyc 01-08-2007 09:20 PM

Breast infection

I have a breast infection/mastitis. I won't have a car or a babysitter tomorrow, so I can't go to the dr. Is it really that important to get on anti-biotics immedietly? Any natural remedies other than hot showers etc?

ETA: I have a 102 temp along with chills, shaking, aches and my right breast is red, sore, and hot so I'm sure that's what it is.

Julesmom23girls 01-08-2007 11:51 PM

Re: Breast infection

I don't know of any natural remedies but w/ a fever and all that you definately have mastitis. You need to call your dr office at least and see what they tell you. Take some motrin tonight, and don't be afraid to nurse the baby as long as you can stand the pain, nursing will keep it from getting to engorged which will only make it more painful.

FancifulFanny 01-09-2007 06:10 AM

what the pp said!

Definitely call the doctor and see what they say. I had mastitis 6 times and she finally said to just call them and she'd call in the prescrip even though that's not their normal policy. Your doctor may be able to work something out.

yellowcampcat 01-09-2007 06:57 AM

My ob/gyn called in the Rx w/o even seeing me when I told him about my 103 temp/ chills, redness on one side, etc. I would call and see what they say. I have heard of drinking 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and eating garlic will help to fight the infection, along with nursing and massaging the affected side and drinking lots of water. Mastitis stinks!

Ruthe 01-09-2007 12:09 PM

I hope you got some antibiotics. Mastitis is a nasty infection. As far as natural remedies, you are supposed to put grated raw potato all over the area. It will turn black. (the potato, not your boob.) One person told me to take it off when it turned black, another told me to leave it on all night with a diaper over it. I haven't tried this since I got the advice after the fact. I was told it's extremely effective for some reason.

ocfb16 01-09-2007 12:12 PM

I had it one time and it was on a weekend where I couldnt get to the doctor. I laid in bed all day long just nursing on that one side (the doctor told me to do this through the phone) it will hurt but eventually will start feeling better. When she wasnt nursing I would get in a warm bath or shower so it would continue to let down. I was told not to wear a bra at all (even though with the pain I couldnt anyways). After 2 days of this it cleared on it's own, which is what I wanted, I did not want to get antibiotics. :hugs:

Shannon 01-09-2007 05:35 PM

Is there anyone who can give you a ride to the Dr? Mastitis is them most painful thing! I hope you can get something for it soon!!!

geez0pete 01-09-2007 06:23 PM

I've had mastitis so often it's just a part of my life now. :yuck: My heart goes out to you! I don't like ab's but I've been told to not let it go longer than 24-36hrs. w/o starting them once you have a fever and redness. Take ibuprophen or acetaminophen to bring the fever down, drink lots of water, cut up and swallow lots of raw garlic, nurse alot, and if it's a plugged duct, use a warm compress and massage the area befor you nurse if you can stand it (the moist heat helps with vasodilation to help release the plug). Hopefully you can beat this on your own but I'd see if the dr can call in some ab's for you just in case when you're able to get them. :hugs:

kht2006 01-09-2007 08:31 PM

Kellymom has some awesome natural treatments
One of them is eating cloves of raw garlic...I don't remember the rest and don't know how to post a link. Maybe somebody will help me out.
When I thought I was getting mastitis I did all those things and I felt like a new person in 24 hours. No antibiotics needed.
Karen

teenibutterfly 01-14-2007 06:10 PM

The last time I had Mastitis I just stayed in bed. Took tylenol and slept it off and it went away. I've had Mastitis a few times in the last 2 months and now have nipple thrush from the pencillin. So try to avoid the pencilling and let your body fight it but if it goes on for more than a couple days see the doctor. Good luck. Pea