Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Just Tomatoes recipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82368)

L J 01-08-2007 10:00 PM

Just Tomatoes recipes?

I ordered a ton of dried fruit from the JT co-op. Eating it plain is just really not my thing. :yuck:

I have been using the carrots and the corn sucessfully in soups, and the strawberries and the raspberries in cheerios.

I have a big container of the apples, the tropical mix, the just munchies, the raspberries and strawberries that I know will never get used if I don't find some way to incorporate them into something else.

Anyone have any ideas they want to share? How to go about adding this stuff to muffins, or turnovers, or anything? (I have never made either a muffin or a turnover in my life, so links or step-by-step instructions fit for a 6 year old would be highly appriciated!) :D

artemis33 01-09-2007 06:20 PM

Re: Just Tomatoes recipes?

I'm curious too! I have used the corn and peas in soups, etc. I use the berries in oatmeal.

I'd also like to know if people have uses for a container that gets open but turns stale before you get through it. :blush: I hate to throw it out!

Sorry I'm not much help LOL!

caitlinsmom 01-14-2007 05:07 PM

I make syrup for pancakes/waffles with the blueberries so IU'm sure you can do it with the strawberries & raspberries too.

Boil about 1 1/2 cups of water, throw in a bunch of the berries and a little bit of sugar. Boil to reduce some of the liquid and serve. Yummy:thumbsup:

Aurelie 01-18-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artemis33 (Post 613113)
I'm curious too! I have used the corn and peas in soups, etc. I use the berries in oatmeal.

I'd also like to know if people have uses for a container that gets open but turns stale before you get through it. :blush: I hate to throw it out!

Sorry I'm not much help LOL!

Hmmm, I don't know. I've never had that problem. BUT I'm a huge eat them plain type girl. The only other thing I do with mine is put them in cereals and milkshakes. Oatmeal sounds good too. I have used an apple product similar to JT apples in oatmeal before. Freeze the apples, then smash them up into smaller peices and sprinkle them in your oatmeal while you let it cook, add cinnamon and nutmeg.

2under2 01-23-2007 02:40 PM

you could reconstitute them ( 1 cup boiling water + 1 cup dried fruit item) and then use them in muffin recipes or bread recipe ( you can google "cherry" or whatever muffin recipe and you will get a ton) if you want a specific one i can give you a few that work well for me if you pm me -- muffins and bread are an easy thing to make and then freeze... then pull 4 or so out at a time... they are easy to grab with a new baby!! i have a recipe with oatmeal in it too which is good for bf moms!!

OpenArms 01-23-2007 07:38 PM

Where is everyone getting all this dried fruit?
I need some! :)

NoDramaMama 01-30-2007 04:31 PM

Dried apples are awesome in applesauce cake or apple quick bread. Oatmeal and oatmeal cookies, too.

You can mix the tropical mix w/ granola and toasted almonds and sunflower seeds for a very healthy trail mix snack for you and the kids.

Pour a little boiling water over the raspberries and then stir them into plain yogurt. Or make muffins, as someone else has said.