Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   considering pumping exclusively (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827695)

Anniew202 09-05-2009 08:49 AM

considering pumping exclusively

Hi, just wondering if anyone pumps exclusively and what that's like. DS is 8 weeks and I've been breastfeeding but I have to say I'm not that graceful at it all the time and I feel like he can take a bottle faster than when I feed him and I like knowing how much he's eating. Also, is it possible that I could pump more ounces less often than he eats and still end up the same at the end of the day?
Thoughts?

jessicacarol 09-05-2009 08:55 AM

Re: considering pumping exclusively

I exclusively pumped for my 2los, I am still pumping for my second ds. We just never got the hang of breastfeeding. After I built up my supply, I began pumping 4 times a day morning, noon, dinner time and bedtime. I was able to keep my supply up and have plenty to store. With my 1st I was able to quit at 9 months and feed him stored milk until a year. I'm a high producer...everyone is different.

This is a very time consuming and rough road, at least for me. I feel constantly tied to my pump, ahh. I have wanted to quit many of times but hung in there. I have found that using a hands free pumping bra like Easy Expressions, help me through it so that I could eat/go on the internet/read/drive and not just sit and pump.

It's great for your baby, hang in there!

CEVmommy 09-06-2009 01:49 PM

My good friend exclusively pumped because her dd would not latch anymore after trying a bottle at about 2-3 weeks old. She was able to keep it up until about 9 or 10 months and then her supply just dropped off. She was very upset about the whole thing. She wished her dd would nurse and didn't like having to pump. She found that the pump wasn't very good at keeping her supply and she was so sad that she couldn't make it to a year with breastmilk. I have another online friend who had a very similar experience with exclusive pumping because her baby couldn't latch due to a cleft palate. After seeing what they went through, I would advise you to carefully consider before switching to exclusively pumping voluntarily. It's one thing if you have to exclusively pump because your baby won't or can't latch, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing people usually choose to do just because they prefer it over nursing. I could be wrong, those are just the only two people I've known who have exclusively pumped.

blessedmama2 09-06-2009 05:27 PM

I have been exclusively pumping for almost 6 months now for ds. Everyday I wish so bad that ds would just latch on. He never learned to latch because he has severe reflux and couldn't get into a comfortable position that didn't cause him pain. It is so much work, I have days where I just want to cry. It's hard for me, I guess, because I do it about 8 times a day, have another ds who is 2, really have no help from anyone since we are military and live away from familiy, have a dh who works a ton, having ds with the reflux that is a very high needs baby, he cries a lot all day and won't stay in a swing, carrier, or anything for more than 10 minutes at a time-he always wants to be upright being held. Then there is the extra work from washing the pump parts and bottles. Then to exclusively pump you would need a hospital grade pump, which gets costly. My supply is decresing because I am so exhausted and if I got the time back that goes towards pumping each day, I may be able to get more than 4 hours a sleep a day and may be able to eat more than I do, which would help my supply. I guess for me, it's just hard because we have so much going on-but the nice thing with pumping is I get to take a break and be on here!:) It is def doable, it just depends on your situation. IT is very trying at times, but for me, I got to see how sick the formula made him and that keeps me going, and I will keep on pumping! Good luck mama and whatever you choose, mama's milk no matter how lo gets it, is an amazing gift that you can give your baby! Just do what you feel may work best!:hugs:

blessedmama2 09-06-2009 05:34 PM

Another thing, depending on your supply-I am attached to my pump. Unless we have some donor milk in the freezer, which we try to avoid, I can't leave my baby even with dh for no more than 2 hours. My pump will never be my baby and I think it can never get the supply that I need. When I try to work with ds to latch, I feel my milk "come in" when he tries to latch, but with my pump it takes so much longer to get that feeling and isn't as strong. I have an adapter for the car for my pump, and it has a batterty on it, so if we go anywhere, dh always drives while I pump. Have you seen a LC that could maybe help with tips to make nursing easier for you? I would love to ditch my pump and would really consider trying to avoid exclusively pumping if you can. Maybe if our family didn;t have all that we have going on, pumpping would be easier, but for me and my current situation, I wish ds would just nurse!

apmomof4 09-06-2009 05:41 PM

pumping is HARD WORK. seriously, 8 weeks is when you are just getting used to bf'ing. you don't have to be graceful, really.

and yes, he will take a bottle faster than the breast b/c it flows faster (even the slow flow ones).

if you want to know how much he's getting (as long as baby is growing and happy that never concerned me), then buy a baby scale and weigh him before and after a feeding. seriously, i would rather weigh my baby before and after each and every time rather than pump...its seriously that much more work.

you will never be able to pump more than a baby eats..it doesnt work that way. you can pump after he eats, etc. etc. but i woudl recommend spending some time on kellymom.com and dealing with your fears before offering more bottles...you can be setting yourself up for nipple confusion, dropped supply, and a host of other problems.

i bf b/c of the health benefits, but i cant imagine bf'ing and pumping as a choice. i would do it if i had to, but it has to be the worst of both worlds (not being able to leave the pump, having to clean everything, etc.etc.).

Also, your baby gets a lot of benefits from bf'ing that don't come with pumping (the whole transfer of germs through bm back to the mom from the baby, which helps the mom produce anitibodies).

anyway, good luck. i hope you are able to address your fears and bf as long as you want. Grace will come in time. :)

Katie&Owen'sMom 09-06-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apmomof4 (Post 8321355)
you will never be able to pump more than a baby eats..it doesnt work that way.

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but I have to disagree with that statement. I have 1400oz in my chest freezer right now because I have been able to pump more than my ds eats.

I have been EPing for 7 months. NOT by choice. DS had latch issues, weak suck (possibly due to me being diabetic), he was not gaining weight & at one point was losing, terrible silent reflux, was very sleepy from jaundice that we battled for more than a month, and I had a 16m old dd who also needed her mama. I fought hard to establish BFing with him for 10 weeks before making the decision to EP. After ebf dd for 14 months I would never recommend EPing as a choice.

At 8 weeks with dd, I'm pretty sure I wasn't feeling so graceful either. By the time she was around 3 months old, I nursed her in the middle of an outlet shopping center so gracefully shoppers didn't even know I was BFing her. Keep up the good work. As a mom who has done both-BFing is WAY easier than EPing!

Sk8ermaiden 09-06-2009 11:55 PM

I agree with everyone. EPing is hard, hard work. I wished every day that my baby would latch and worked so hard to try and nurse. Now she finally will, and I feel like I have my LIFE back. At this age you have to pump 8-12 times a day! I was attached to the pump and would have to leave gatherings to go pump, time outings around pumping.

Do not go down that road unless you actually have to. No one is graceful at BFing at this point.

apmomof4 09-06-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie&Owen'sMom (Post 8323866)
Maybe I'm not reading this correctly but I have to disagree with that statement. I have 1400oz in my chest freezer right now because I have been able to pump more than my ds eats.

I have been EPing for 7 months. NOT by choice. DS had latch issues, weak suck (possibly due to me being diabetic), he was not gaining weight & at one point was losing, terrible silent reflux, was very sleepy from jaundice that we battled for more than a month, and I had a 16m old dd who also needed her mama. I fought hard to establish BFing with him for 10 weeks before making the decision to EP. After ebf dd for 14 months I would never recommend EPing as a choice.

At 8 weeks with dd, I'm pretty sure I wasn't feeling so graceful either. By the time she was around 3 months old, I nursed her in the middle of an outlet shopping center so gracefully shoppers didn't even know I was BFing her. Keep up the good work. As a mom who has done both-BFing is WAY easier than EPing!

what a great job you have done! i really aplaud pumping mothers b/c it really is very hard work.

i didnt mean that you cant pump more milk than your child eats....i only meant that a baby at the breast is the most efficient method of feeding..the baby will always get out more than a pump (presuming no medical issues, such as bad latch, thrush, etc. etc.).

of course you can pump (and most people can) after baby eats...otherwise none of us would have milk in our freezers. :)

sorry for the confusion re: what i meant.

jessicacarol 09-07-2009 01:00 AM

I pump exclusively because my ds did not have a strong enough suck, or something, what ever the problem was he was not happy until I gave and and gave him a bottle. However, I have a close friend who chose to EP for her child. She felt like bfing was just not a good fit for her, and she was happy with the decision so she chose to do it with her 2nd child too. She also pumps 4 times a day (more in the 1st month or 2 to build a supply), and it works for her (and me!). It is what you feel comfortable with. Sometimes I like the fact that I spend 30 minutes 4 times a day with my pump and my dh can help feed/I go out without worrying...then there are some days when I feel like I want to drop-kick my pump out the window.

Do what is right for you, no matter what you do your child will get the best milk for him/her