Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you get a 1year old to eat? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82874)

9800Emily 01-09-2007 10:16 PM

How do you get a 1year old to eat?

DD doesnt want to eat, she will only nurse. This would be ok, but now she is losing weight. She's 30in and only 18lbs. Her doc has given her 3 months to get to or past 20lbs before we start to talk about agressive and invasive options. She will use a sippy cup, but if I put anything other then water in the cup she will not drink it. I've been given lots of ideas of what to feed her but just do not know how to get her to eat it. I normally offer food in the highchair 2 or 3 times a day, dd just plays in it. The last two days I have tried limiting her nursing durring the day to see if she would eat more solids, but all that did was get her to nurse all night long:banghead: .

Calideedle 01-09-2007 10:19 PM

Re: How do you get a 1year old to eat?

My DD does the same thing unless I let her walk around and hold lightly buttered bread or something like that. She is like 22lbs and nurses non-stop too!!!!

betty_joanne 01-10-2007 10:31 AM

Removing this.

kkmoto 01-10-2007 10:42 AM

I think I am different from everyone. I would first not worry about it, kids start walking and tend to slim down. Kids tend to listen to their bodies signs of hunger more than us fat adults. If you feel you must do something do less breast milk- kids love to fill up on milk and not eat their food. Can you make her more involved in making meal- it's fun to try your creations. Good luck, meaby she is just going to be little.

Malka 01-10-2007 10:48 AM

Does she have sensory issues? Dd would only eat a few things when she was 1 year, and we had a feeding and swallowing evaluation. It was done by a speech therapist, and she gave us some ideas of what to do to get dd to eat solids.

bugsyboo 01-10-2007 10:54 AM

at this stage they get really picky and sometimes dont want to eat. my ds has some days that he eats very little and some days he cant stop eating. eat with them and thats gets encouraged. give them juice as a treat and if she doesnt eat still say no juice till you eat! dont give her too many snacks or nibbles so she will be hungry!

9800Emily 01-11-2007 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone, I think maybe the doc just freaked me out a little bit. I've always thought that when she's hungry she will eat. I think as long as she doesn't loose anymore weight and keeps growing that she'll be fine.

tazzae 01-11-2007 02:58 PM

:hugs: I know first hand how frustrating (and scary) the doctors ultimatums can be. My dd was very small at one year--14 lbs--and also would not eat solids. She didn't lose weight, but also didn't really gain much between 7 and 15 months. The one tidbit of advice that I found helpful was to expose her to her peers who were eating a lot of solids; sitting them all down together for a snack, for example. Other than that, I suggest just waiting it out. For my dd it took until about 18 months; she's now almost 3 and 29 lbs.
Good luck!

greenkmt 01-11-2007 04:32 PM

I say not to worry! Maybe give flax seed oil or fish oil. FO helped my son to gain weight. Don't let your Dr, do that to your baby!

Did she lose weight or just not gain?

9800Emily 01-11-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenkmt (Post 621530)
I say not to worry! Maybe give flax seed oil or fish oil. FO helped my son to gain weight. Don't let your Dr, do that to your baby!

Did she lose weight or just not gain?

She did loose a few ounces, but she hadn't nursed that morning because we were running late. We did a before and after nursing weight a few weeks ago and she weighed almost 12 ounces more after nursing. How do you give fish oil?