Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   For anyone who has taken Reglan or Domperindone... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83001)

ahisma 01-10-2007 09:30 AM

For anyone who has taken Reglan or Domperindone...

Do you mind PM-ing me or posting here with your experiences, both in regards to effectiveness and side-effects? I'm researching the regulations for Domperindone (a Reglan alternative).

Because of the side effects associated with Reglan, it is not an option for many women, however Domperindone is only available if you are willing to import it from Canada or New Zealand, or if you physician is willing to misrepresent your diagnosis as reflux for the purpose of the prescription.

I have spoken to several pharmacists, lactation consultants, and physicians, as well as done my own preliminary research and the general consensus is that the basis for banning Domperindone for lactation purposes is based on a rather flawed study. Additionally, Reglan is manufactured by Wyeth, a corporation that also manufactures formula and could been perceived as having a vested interest in keeping a well-tolerated lactation medication out of the marketplace.

My father is a healthcare reform lobbyist and is very interested in helping me get this information in front of the right people, with the ultimate goal of lessening the restrictions that currently ban the use of Domperindone as a lactation assistant. I would love to be able to include anecdotal information regarding women's experiences with both Reglan and Domperindone.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Kimmomy2dom 01-10-2007 10:01 AM

Re: For anyone who has taken Reglan or Domperindone...

I took Domperidone two years ago to attempt to relactate for my son.
I did do some research into the side effects publicly known for each drug and sought out the experiences of women who'd taken them. After that I decided against even attempting to acquire Reglan and decided to get the Domperidone from a pharmacy in New Zealand.
It did make me gain weight (10lbs or so), and I was able to relactate a little (about 1oz/pumping at the end) but never recovered my full supply. As for emotional side effects, I was already pretty depressed from the guilt I felt for stopping breastfeeding so I honestly can't say it had any effect on me emotionally. If it did, I couldn't tell.
I took it for maybe a month, then stopped my mission to relactate, so I can't speak for REALLY long term symptoms. :)

Distinctive Decals 01-10-2007 10:10 AM

I was given Reglan 6 days after having ds to boost my supply. I have been diagnosed with depression (5 yrs. ago) and am on Celexa daily to treat for that and anxiety attacks. The Reglan made my depression MUCH MUCH worse - to the point that I couldn't cope or handle the kids or even something so simple as showering and getting ready for the day. I was so depressed that I didn't WANT to breastfeed. I never noticed an increase in my supply, though I only took it for 3 days. After 3 days I quit the Reglan, because I could tell that things were getting progressively worse for me. LMK if I can supply you with any more info. :goodvibes:

jenniferd1031 01-10-2007 10:54 AM

I was worn out on the reglan. I thought it was just having a new baby but as soon as I stopped the reglan I had a suprising energy boost. Also my baby seemed more tired when I was on the reglan.

Reglan didn't even help us at all anyway.

Jennifer

KnottyLDSMama 01-10-2007 11:12 AM

I stayed away from Reglan because of the horror stories. Domperidone did nothing for me, unfortunately. As a last-ditch effort, I tried the reglan. I didn't have any side effects, but it didn't seem to help my supply a ton, either. I do, however, still have a whole bottle that I plan on using once I start doula-ing on a regular basis. Since I have a low supply anyway (and can't pump), I am going to have to do something to maintain my supply when I have to be away from DS for extended periods of time.

blessed with boys 01-10-2007 03:28 PM

I took Reglan and it worked wonders...I did notice I was tired though. That could've just been normal mom stuff though lol. I took it for 2 months, when my son was 9 months old....I eventually just gave in and started him on solids....my milk supply then was fine. He just stopped nursing 10 days ago, because my like finally dried up this pregnancy.
I would rather try the dom though.....is it illegal to order from Canada? Do you need a script?

Kimmomy2dom 01-10-2007 04:14 PM

I dunno if it's illegal to order from canada, LOL. NOt sure what customs would do, KWIM? I got mine from an off-shore pharmacy in New Zealand. I can try to find the website, if you want it you can PM me I guess, LOL.

Luv2bemommy 01-11-2007 08:11 PM

I took Reglan with my last baby to try and save my milk and up my supply. In the end it didn't work but I had a slightly increase in supply though. I had no effects from it though, I was expecting them!

CMamma 01-11-2007 09:13 PM

I took reglan & it was a miracle for me. When my supply w/DS#1 was running away (working FT for 12-16+ days in the military & standing duty for 24 hours away from your babe will do it).

Anyway the reglan at least doubled my supply in a matter of days. I've dealt w/depression as well but NOT while on the reglan. It didn't seem to have an effect making it any worse. It was a lifesaver for me.

love2bmom2chris 01-16-2007 12:28 AM

I took Domperidone. It worked well for me. I ordered it from New Zealand.