Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Request for Prayer / Updates (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=193)
-   -   Prayers for my baby Joey (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830012)

blessedmama2 09-08-2009 10:32 PM

Prayers for my baby Joey

My ds, almost 6 months has severe reflux. He has been on several meds and through a lot. Everyday he hurts, he crys so much and barely sleep. It is so difficult seeing him like this and knowing that all that I can do may not be enough. What he needs prayers for most now if well, my milk supply. He never learned to latch and I have been pumping since day one. We have tried formulas, but even when he gets 1/2 oz to supp, he gets very sick, he becomes even more fussy and throws up all day, then refuses to eat for most of the day. I had a freezer stash of donor milk from a milk bank, but we are out and cannot afford to get anymore. I have been pumping like crazy and am not getting much. I am so worried when he wakes tonight (he eats very small meals and gets up at least 5 times a night, so he eats an ounce when he gets up each time) that I will have to give him formula. Please pray I get a supply boost, I know it's something so simple, but it is so important for him to stay away from the formula. Please pray he will feel better and grow out of this and for me to have strength to keep pumping and keep going with no sleep. Thanks mamas so much!:hugs:

*****So far-
Thanks mamas for the prayers, thoughts and ideas! I tried a dark ale-and it was an odouls (sp?) and that's not even a "Real" beer and it made me so sick-but maybe it will up my supply. DS has been having about 8 oz of formula each day but seems to be doing better on it than when I had to supp before. So that's good. It just stinks that I am trying my best and doing all this work to keep him off the formula since he still doesn't do 100% on it and I just can;t keep up with the little piggy!:) Maybe this is a temporary thing because I am just so stressed with all we have going on in our life. Hopefully things will keep looking up:)

Keropisunshine23 09-10-2009 06:52 PM

Re: Prayers for my baby Joey

thinking of you mama...

Two things
1. Have you tried dark beer for increasing your supply? Most people think they can not have alcohol while nursing so don't try it and supposedly it works wonders.

2. have you tried chiropractic care for the reflux? We took Sofiya to the chiropractor and it severely cut the amount of spit-up and reflux she was experiencing.

Please pm me if you need someone to talk to or have questions about either of my suggestions

dragondance 09-10-2009 10:55 PM

Have you tried cutting out things from your diet/his formula? Dd1 was a bit like that (but entirely on formula--yikes) and she is allergic to dairy. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Erin318 09-11-2009 07:00 AM

Praying for relief for your little one and for an increase in supply. Have you checked out www.milkshare.com ? You may be able to find somebody to donate for free, if you're comfortable with that.

blessedmama2 09-11-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keropisunshine23 (Post 8358028)
thinking of you mama...

Two things
1. Have you tried dark beer for increasing your supply? Most people think they can not have alcohol while nursing so don't try it and supposedly it works wonders.

2. have you tried chiropractic care for the reflux? We took Sofiya to the chiropractor and it severely cut the amount of spit-up and reflux she was experiencing.

Please pm me if you need someone to talk to or have questions about either of my suggestions

Thanks you so much-our LC suggested a chiropractor-I was a little leary because at that time my mom just went to one and her back was so messed up after her appt. I may still try though. I haven't heard of the beer-I haven't had a drink in who knows how long, so which type would be a dark beer?

blessedmama2 09-11-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin318 (Post 8361150)
Praying for relief for your little one and for an increase in supply. Have you checked out www.milkshare.com ? You may be able to find somebody to donate for free, if you're comfortable with that.

I was going to check that out today or tomorrow-we used the certified bank-I would be ok if I was able to establish a relationship with the mama, I like the fact that with the banks, each sample is tested for several things but we sure can't keep up with the costs. I was hoping to avoid milkshare, but it's def worth me looking into to see what is there, and now we'd have to get something set up quick because we just got word that we have to move to TX in 6 weeks! (DH is military)

blessedmama2 09-11-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragondance (Post 8360273)
Have you tried cutting out things from your diet/his formula? Dd1 was a bit like that (but entirely on formula--yikes) and she is allergic to dairy. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

i'm an elimination diet, not a super strict one, but I know hat foods seem to irritate him the most. I've been doing that since he was 3 weeks old. We have treid several formulas when we had to supp and it was just awful! He just gets so sick and becomes even more fussy and miserable-the one that we have been using now is a prescription and he doing better on it then what he was before. So that's a good start. I worry with the formula because with my other ds he had a really hard time on it-and almost years later he is still suffering from it gastro wise. So with this baby I was determined to stay away from it (I had medical issues with ds#1 that my milk dried up) and then everything with the reflux happend. The one thing the ped and gastro dr agree is keep going with breast if I can-now if that was easier said than done! We are moving soon and where we are moving too, I found a LC that is only $35 an hour, where here it's $85! So I am hoping I can meet up with her and maybe by some miracle this little stinker will latch!:) It's just somethings so simple that should come more natually but it is wearing me out! I guess I get so bummed cause with both my babies we have had so many issues-ds#1 had such a rough first year health wise and dh was deployed through it all. I just want them to feel well and be happy little babies! Well now that I guess I just vented about a few other things! Thanks so much!

Keropisunshine23 09-11-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedmama2 (Post 8362402)
Thanks you so much-our LC suggested a chiropractor-I was a little leary because at that time my mom just went to one and her back was so messed up after her appt. I may still try though. I haven't heard of the beer-I haven't had a drink in who knows how long, so which type would be a dark beer?

I think all beer works, i just read dark beers work better. i have not tried this myself, but have read about it and have heard LC's recommend it to increase supplies. the alcohol in your milk is the same as in your system, so i recommend sipping on one during a nursing session and by the time you have to pump or nurse again, you blood level should be returned to normal. (there are test strips you can buy if you feel uncomfortable judging your bal)

as for the chiropractor, i was always skeptical, however when my ds had a constant cold and chronic ear infections, he had two rounds of antibiotics, he would be better for a week and then it would start all over again. i did not want to give him anymore antibiotics, so i took him the the chiropractor, after the first session, the one ear was clean, after the second session, both were clear. He was also the one to suggest a milk allergy not our doctor. we took him off milk, no more cold, no more ear infection. my son honestly had a "cold for three months". It was cold and flu season, so we went with it, however, his cold started when we stopped bf (due to lack of milk while pregnant) and started cows milk.....

We took dd when she was about three months old because she had terrible reflux and only pooped once a week. she was scream for 24-36 hours before pooping. After two visits, she started pooping everyday, no more screaming and the reflux now only occurs when she overeats. amazing difference......

I agree with pp, it could also be a milk allergy, although if he is taking the bm just fine, it make be a reaction to something else in the formula. neither of my boys could handle all the iron in formulas and would spit up half the bottle:yuck:

good luck and i do hope for his sake and yours, you get this figured out.

blessedmama2 09-11-2009 10:07 AM

Thanks mamas for all the thoughts, ideas and prayers. I know it's something so simple, but it means so much. We have a million things going on with our familiy now that may be bigger concern than this, but really to me this means so much because I just want my little guy to feel better!

mismaggie 09-11-2009 02:21 PM

Aww mama, I am so sorry your little guy is going thorugh this. I;ll be praying that you can either increase yuor supply or find someone that can help you out. There's no worse feeling in the world than not being able to make your LO feel better when they're sick or in pain:( All the best to you and him:hugs: