Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why are my SB leaking? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83051)

nikkiof5 01-10-2007 11:46 AM

Why are my SB leaking?

I have a bunch from the outlet. I prewashed them like 6 times. All 3 times that I have put them on dd they have leaked. Out the legs. WHY? Are they too small? Cuz that is what I am thinking. I know they have been washed enough. When I look there doesnt seem to be any gaps or anything. Any ideas? I wonder if the fit is just not right for my long lean dd...:cry:

Luvmybabies 01-10-2007 11:51 AM

Re: Why are my SB leaking?

Are they fitteds? AIO? Pockets?

GodStillTalks 01-10-2007 11:56 AM

They are probably too small. My baby can fit nicely in mediums, but they weren't absorbant enough for her. We switched up to larges, and now she does fine. I will say that the AIOs need to be changed every 2 hours- 2 1/2 hours max. Otherwise, they will likely leak. That is the trade off for such a trim bikini diaper. I figure it is good to change them often anyways.

Mel 01-10-2007 11:57 AM

What size did you get?

Katherine 01-10-2007 12:16 PM

Is your baby a heavy wetter? Mine is - she wears the large aio's - they fit beautifully, but they will leak w/ her heavier wets. I stuffed a home-made hemp insert in them the other day and they lasted about 2 hours- might have gone longer, but I had to put her in her nighttime diaper. SB aio's are pretty well-known for not accomidating really heavy wetters.

nikkiof5 01-10-2007 12:42 PM

Shes not a super heavy wetter. I got M AIO. Shes about 17# and 26" long. According to the site, the M should be fine. Im going to try to L Aplix that I have and see what happens....

png_lovebirds 01-10-2007 12:45 PM

Mine are also leaking...and I know why! I got some AIOs...well, after one pee I took a look at the diaper and it had wicked through the thread around the leg elastic on both sides! And I'm not talking about him peeing out the leg....but all the stitches were wet! So, I waited and watched and with the next pee the stitches leaked enough to make a large section of the PUL wet!

It's frustrating b/c I'm stuck with these b/c I'm not going to sell them since they don't work! :(

Mel 01-10-2007 12:55 PM

When you prewashed did you wash hot/dry hot and then repeat? 6 times? That's what it took for mine to start working correctly. Although I've only started using them today (because it took me that long to get that many cycles of washing done) but we have had no problems with the 3 we've used so far this morning.

Luvmybabies 01-10-2007 12:57 PM

They absolutely need to be washed/dried in hot water/hot dryer 6 times...so if you just washed with out drying on hot they will leak.

tg_canada 01-10-2007 01:07 PM

This is EXACTLY what happened to me!! I am extremely frustrated. And yes I also agree that it is going through the elastic or the stitching. The entire insert would not even be wet and yet the leg casing in the crotch would be wet. This has NOTHING to do with a heavy wetting!

And I thought it might be because of the microfiber insert so I bought some OV pocket instead so I could use the hemp insert. Well the first time she tried the diaper, she pooped in it. I can SEE the poop on the outside of the leg casing! It went THROUGH the stitching and soaked through the PUL. And she did NOT sit in this poop, I heard her poop and I changed her. The hemp insert is totally clean so it did not come through the top layer of velour/fleece. But the inside of the seams are poopy showing where it came through the stitching.

I really think maybe we should get together and report this to Swaddlebees. This is a design flaw in the diapers, this isn't a problem with us. I am really upset about it as I originally ordered 24 but only tried out 4. I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt but finally spent 20 dollars sending the unused ones back to the store where I bought them. AND the mama who sent them to me had free shipping, so refunding me is either going to cost me the original shipping or her. So someone is going to be out another $20 for diapers with a design flaw. And of course I am out the money for the 4 AIO's plus I am going to be out the money for 2 like new OV pockets I bought used (I really thought it was an issue of the type of insert!). This has been a very expensive venture for me!

And my AIO's were washed and dried on hot a minimum of 20 times. And they absorb fine, that isn't the issue, the issue is that the pee (and poop!) comes through the stitching in the legs.

Also, DD is changed EVERY time she pees, I don't expect any diapers to last for a certain amount of time, but I do expect them to last for ONE pee and/or ONE poop.