Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   !!!PLEASE HELP BABY HAS CROUP!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831025)

galesville1980 09-10-2009 10:50 AM

!!!PLEASE HELP BABY HAS CROUP!!!

My 6 month old we think has the croup..they want us to bring him in and they might to a steroid treatment..what our your thoughts on that?!?! Please help I am not a med pusher at all so i worry...

nullgal 09-10-2009 10:53 AM

Re: !!!PLEASE HELP BABY HAS CROUP!!!

Don't panic! Our LO had croup too. We put a humidifier in her room and let her go outside when it was kind of cool. We were told that cool night air is awesome for croup. However, if it gets really bad, go ahead and let them do the steroids. Croup can be really dangerous if it gets really bad and isn't going away. But try the humidifier!

fanatic4cloth 09-10-2009 10:55 AM

My boys have asthma. It can be very scary and painful for them. because just liek they show it imagine a fish out of water. I know you might not like the meds. but it can get pretty serious. And a trip to the pedi is better then a trip to the er. where that is a breeding ground for everything. I hope your lo feels better. Take him in the bathroom after you steamed it up. And maybe elevate them when their sleeping it helps.

Amanda57 09-10-2009 10:56 AM

my daughter JUST had croup a few weeks ago at 16 months. it is a big difference from 6 months, but we did nothing and it went away on its own. we took her to the doc just to be sure that it was croup- which it was. how is your son acting during the day? is he breathing okay? my dd was acting fine during the day (just acting "sick" clingy- nursing more, etc.) and she had a fever, so we just gave her tylenol and motrin as needed to help with the fever/pain. the cough lasted for about 4 days. she was breathing fine throughout and would have coughing fits when she got upset, cried, etc. but mostly it was through the night. she got more sleep than me.. but once she woke up she was fine. have you tried a cool mist humidifier? that seemed to help too..

galesville1980 09-10-2009 11:01 AM

thanks! Last night we took him outside/ did the steam bath/rasied his bed/ and had a humidifier...DH called the dr and they said if he is horse during the day it will only get worse at night...so they told him to come in at 1:30. He said our LO is smiling and everything but just horse and we had a rough night last night. from yesterday morning to last night there was a big change for the worse. ugh....is it odd to have the croup this time of year?! can u tell i am a first time mom :)..this is our first sickness..we adopted him at 4 months..so this is VERY new to me :)..thanks!

galesville1980 09-10-2009 11:23 AM

called DH said he seems better and is in a good mood..do we hold off or still go?!

BootyGold 09-10-2009 11:26 AM

Yeah, I don't mess around with lung issues. I waiting too long to take DS to the doc once and we ended up in the hossy for the night cause he needed to be on oxygen. Two doses of steroids and we were discharged the next day.

ETA: Its chronic treatment with steroids that scare me. But for treatment of acute conditions, I think its OK.

galesville1980 09-10-2009 11:29 AM

we are going to check in with our ped. at 12:30 to give them an update and see what we should do

BootyGold 09-10-2009 11:35 AM

Well, is he showing any signs of laboring breathing?

Check his resp rate (count breaths in 30 secs and multiply by 2), and then looks at his chest when he's breathing. Does he cave in under his ribs when he inhales? Seem agitated? Might help your doc determine better if he needs to be seen :hugs:

Hope he's on the mend and you don't have to go in!!

galesville1980 09-10-2009 12:37 PM

we are taking him in..