Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   $600 too much for school FT? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833575)

boos_mom 09-13-2009 10:39 PM

$600 too much for school FT?

not sure if im posting in the right forum...i didnt see a school-age forum listed.

my 6th grader has the opportunity to go to yosemite this year. the cost is $600 :cry:

does this seem excessive to anyone else? im trying my best to scrape up extra funds, but between having a baby this past april and trying to get into a bigger house, my bank account is pretty pathetic these days.

Austinsmamma 09-13-2009 10:42 PM

Re: $600 too much for school FT?

Where I grew up the trip was 8th grade and washington Dc and it cost $800 about 20 years ago so no $600 doesn't sound like a lot to me(but it is a lot IYKWIM):thumbsup:

Catalytic 09-13-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austinsmamma (Post 8383981)
Where I grew up the trip was 8th grade and washington Dc and it cost $800 about 20 years ago so no $600 doesn't sound like a lot to me(but it is a lot IYKWIM):thumbsup:

Same here, but it was Washington DC in 6th grade (from Central Florida), we did TONS of fund raisers through the school to pay for it. (I didn't go, can't remember why not)

My daughter was offered a trip to CHINA in 8th grade, the cost was close to $5,000, ouch. She didn't maintain the grades for it, so I didn't have to try to pay for it, but dang....that's a lot of money for a field trip!

lessica 09-13-2009 11:28 PM

to me it seems like a lot but i grew up in a small school where we didn't take big trips.. i think our biggest trip was to six flags LOL

tallanvor 09-13-2009 11:53 PM

To go to Yosemite? No, I don't think that is too much.

evemarieisrad 09-14-2009 02:41 AM

When i was in the sixth grade we went to sixth grade camp for a week in the mountains, and we went to Sacramento in the fourth grade. I went to a public school in southern orange county. no idea how much they were then, but i would think they were comparable.

AlliesMommy 09-14-2009 03:22 AM

I don't think it is too much.
It's optional and someone has to pay for it.

When I was a Junior in high school we went on a New York/Boston trip (from CA).
It was $1500 and it was during Spring Break, but that included everything. All I had to bring was spending money.

Maybe you could ask the teacher about having a fundraiser for the whole class?

boos_mom 09-14-2009 09:19 AM

i see your point...$600 does seem inexpensive compared to some of the FT's you mamas listed. i guess i was just unprepared for a 6th grade FT. theres no fundraising involved and the first deposit of $200 is due next week.

my daughter is going even if that means we lose cable for a few months.

VeryChicBaby 09-14-2009 10:12 AM

They do the 7th grade trip to Washington here also.. I think its right at a thousand. I would not let my child go on a trip like this personally. But I am pretty anti-camp, etc... It makes me a little nervous with these overnight, out of town trips.. I think they are all very nice but imo, trips like these are something you go on with your family, or as an older kid that works hard to earn the money.. It makes me sad for so many kids that "miss out" on these trips because their parents cannot afford it.. Whatever happened to field trips to the zoo? :)

I am just saying don't feel bad if she doesn't go - it won't be the end of the world & she won't be the only one not going!! :)

MCR 09-14-2009 11:22 AM

Ds went to science camp (at the beach near Monterey) for 4 nights and it cost $650 that was 4 years ago.
How long will they be in Yosemite?