Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tell me about train tables (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834148)

*Aimee* 09-14-2009 06:24 PM

Tell me about train tables

So DS is obsessed with train tables whenever we go someplace with one. He hordes all the trains and talks about them for hours. We went to an indoor play place today and that's ALL he did for 3 hours. Even though there was a jungle gym and play kitchen and big trucks and bikes and things he totally loves. He does that every time we go there.

I wanted to get him one for Christmas but DH is worried that he'll play with it for a week and then be sick of it. We try very hard to only buy him open ended toys that he'll get a lot of use out of. DH is also worried that the boys will jump off it and be crazy.

So those of you with train tables, do you kids play with them still? did they tire of them easily?

mandanikki36 09-14-2009 06:57 PM

Re: Tell me about train tables

My dd got her train table when she was about 2 and still plays with it!!!!!We have this one and love it since it can also be a table and the tracks are built in.
http://www.walmart.com/Step2-Canyon-...Lid/ip/4837473

homeschoolingmama 09-14-2009 07:00 PM

Well, what I find about train tables is that even when the interest dies out, it comes back LOL! My 2 y/o loved his at first, then he didn't for awhile, now he does again. He does jump off of it though and climbs on top of it....
Still, he loves it.
We got ours on craigslist, trains and all for $60

homeschoolingmama 09-14-2009 07:03 PM

BTW, ours has two huge pull out toy drawers underneath!We love the extra storage..
We also velcroed the tracks down.. It can be pulled off for later, but for now it helps him to not loose the tracks and keeps us from fixing them daily :giggle:

Kimmyann 09-14-2009 07:37 PM

He loved it at first but I honestly got tired of fixing the tracks constantly. He would either take the tracks off or move them and I would have to always be fixing them so I took them off the table and he uses it to play with his cars and trucks and trains without the track. And yes...he climbs on the table too but I try to strongly discourage that because I don't want him to break the table.

steph410 09-14-2009 07:48 PM

we have one and i think it was a good investment. a lot of times i send my boys upstairs to play with the train table while i make dinner. it kind of depends on the child's personality, though- my 2 year old is more independent and loves it, but my 3 year old is kind of needy and won't always play by himself with the trains.

randareena 09-14-2009 08:39 PM

We have too much track for a train table to work for us... DS's track takes over part of our living room. We don't mind though because when we want it out of the way it packs up and is gone. You should definitely check out used stores for a train table! You can get some really nice ones there.

Connors_Mama 09-14-2009 08:42 PM

DS loves his train table! He climbs on it and will sit there for an hour just playing with his choochoo's. After setting up the track 3 times in like 2 days I glued them down with a hot glue gun.

nakedbabytoes 09-14-2009 10:10 PM

I got one about 4 months ago, as recommended by these DS mamas! It was so worth it! He plays with it constantly. So does my oldest boy. And his friends. If he takes apart a track piece, he gets told "No, broken." And we fix it. I also do not want to spend time fixing track. You can teach him not to climb on the table or break up the tracks.
We got ours off CL locally. All Thomas stuff, table with picture map, tons of track, and a storage drawer for xtras. All for $100. He doesn't even need any extra pieces. I thought about adding to it for Xmas, be he honestly has like everything already.

ajanele 09-15-2009 10:08 AM

We love our train table! We have the imaginarium one from Toys R Us, which I think just went on sale. Both dd's play with it, and ds likes to demolish it :giggle: Also, it is the epicenter of activity when friends come over to play. Sure, it can be a little annoying to constantly have to set it up, but it's worth it to see them enjoying it so much.