Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Finding a sitter on craigslist? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83534)

jrpbrown1 01-11-2007 08:15 AM

Finding a sitter on craigslist?

Has anyone had luck finding a sitter on craigslist? I was going to post an ISO ad, but then 2 ads caught my eye so I emailed them and I am awaiting replies. We have never left DD with a sitter. The only time we needed one, our daycare provider (who we LOVE like family) watched her at our house. I will clearly come across as a crazy, overprotective mama.:laugh:

Any tips? Advice?

TIA!

Ontariomama 01-11-2007 08:19 AM

Re: Finding a sitter on craigslist?

Personally I wouldn't. I'd be too nervous getting someone that I didn't KNOW, kwim?

doberbrat 01-11-2007 09:03 AM

I couldnt. I think there are alot of freaks on cl. I dont even go inside people's houses to pu stuff or have people meet me at myh house.

couldnt you ask your dcp to do it or if she had a rec for someone else? or ask a neighbor/friend w/a similar aged child who they use??

Sorry, I'm no help. We've left dd exactly ONE time to go out ever. She's 15mo. We drove 15h to my cousin's house and went out for dinner and a movie. thats it. :giggle: :hugs:

jrpbrown1 01-11-2007 09:46 AM

Thanks for the replies so far. Even though they weren't positive, I appreciate your honesty.

I would ask my dcp to do it, but one of the times I need a sitter for is to go out with my dcp! :lostit: She plans the occasional mom's night out and my DH will be out of town on business for the next one. Figures, the one time a year he travels, right? I could just skip the next mom's night out, but I would really like to go. And I can't ask the other moms because they will be with us. :laugh:

I do have a couple of people I could ask if their sitter is free. I just don't want to be accused of "stealing" someone's sitter. :giggle:

Please do keep the replies coming.

Timetodance 01-11-2007 10:56 AM

Just tell everyone you know that you are looking for somone. I bet you get somone you can trust in a few days.

It worked for me.

doberbrat 01-11-2007 12:19 PM

Hereís a thought if youíre going out for mno and donít have a sitter, can you *share* a sitter w/one of your friends??

you drop dc over to their house and the sitter watches both kids and you split the costs??

Sorry not to be of more help!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 01-11-2007 12:27 PM

i wouldnt trust cl or anything else online like that, mainly because you have no background on them, no refernces, no anything and its really risky/scary to me.
i would ask trusting friends who they recoomend and then get refernces from them. goodluck:thumbsup:

ahisma 01-11-2007 01:12 PM

We found our part-time nanny on CraigsList. But, we did an interview, a background check and called references.

Leininger27 01-11-2007 01:28 PM

Man I provide childcare and that is the only place I have advertised! You can find great people on CL. You do need to interview, ask for references just like you would for a nanny!

Kimmyann 01-11-2007 01:30 PM

You can try sittercity.com too as some of them have background checks on file. You can do the "try it out" without having to sign in too see if there is anyone available in your area.