Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   so frustrated....ins gripe (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8358)

myajdw 05-24-2006 09:28 AM

so frustrated....ins gripe

okay so i've finally had it with this. one of the reasons we decided we could get pregnant again was b/c we finacially could w/o any real problem. my dh has insurance at work and everything so we figured we'd be just fine we were only paying $124 a month for the whole family. we knew we'd have to upgrade but even then it was only $224 a month. well we found out in nov i was pg!! woo-hoo! then in jan did the upgrade, well the ins company jacked up all rates and we have to pay $575 a month for our ins. so there goes $351 and of course now i'm in nesting phase and would like to be getting the rest of this baby stuff, which i should've been able to have all of it already or at least closer too. it's just frustrating is all. i mean we're doing fine, we're still better off than we were with our first two ds's it's just irritating is all. i feel like we should be doing so much better than this but we're not.

anyone else have this problem?

Samantha 05-24-2006 09:35 AM

Re: so frustrated....ins gripe

:eek: That much of an insurance increase at one time should be illegal....

Sorry mama!

hockeymom6201 05-24-2006 10:04 AM

get private insurance Aetna in PA is great and inexpensive as long as you all are in decent health !! The same thing happened to us dh took a new job they told him he would get "Better" Ins .. We thought that meant less expensive .. In the end we used to pay $50 per check for the whole fam with the new job is was$575!!!!!!!!!!!! The pay increase dh got for changing jobs went all to the ins !!

myajdw 05-24-2006 10:10 AM

we would've gone private but b/c of the pregnancy we can't....nobody will cover it :(( so we're just stuck until i deliver. you would've thought that since the ins raised their rates for this company that the company would in turn cover more of it but they don't....not really anything we can do until i deliver i guess. it's just insane. and they only raised rates for THIS company, it's a nationwide company and i guess just last year alone for that company alone the ins company had over 6 billion in claims so i understand they didn't have a choice...but the company my dh works for should've started to cover more of the ins then.

zonapellucida 05-24-2006 10:53 AM

WOW that just doesn't seem right. ((((HUGS)))) to you!

hfitz5051 05-25-2006 07:04 AM

How frustrating! I've had nothing but problems with inurance. I lost my job at 8 months pregnant with #2, the insurance expired a few weeks before she was born and since we had no "proof of income" I was turned down for medical assistance! I am still paying on that birth. Then with this last one I had medicaid, but I was going to a birthing center. The ins covered everything except use of the facility, so I started making payments for that. On her due date dh's company ins kicked in, covered the center, I got the $$ back, but now it won't cover the mw for me to just go see. Like I had to go to a different place to have my iud out, and for checkups and everything now.

myajdw 05-25-2006 07:46 AM

insurance should NOT be this hard. i know we couldn't get medicaid either b/c of how much dh makes....even though it's totally unrealistic for us to be paying this much a month for it. i always thought medicaid had a separate program to help you out when you can get ins at work but it costs too much, like help pay for the monthly cost or the co-pays or something. but i guess not. all i know is this is ridiculous!!!!

augustgirl69 05-25-2006 08:09 PM

It depends on where you live. MN has exactly that sort of program - where you submit paystubs and your job is required to submit how much that charge and the state has a formula to determine if the premiums are too high. If the premiums are over a % (can't remember what) of your income you qualify for state insurance (not MA) and pay on a sliding scale. It's GREAT to have as a safety net.

myajdw 05-25-2006 08:20 PM

i guess the system just works different everywhere lol. oh well only a few more months to go right?

stephdpn 05-25-2006 08:33 PM

Also, sometimes premiums are different in different places or jobs, even if you have the same insurance company - a lot of it depends on the average age of the employee - when DH worked at Abercrombie, the avg age for the entire corporation was like 35 or something like that, we paid like $75 a month for family coverage. Now he works at a college, where the avg employee age is about 60 and we pay a lot more!