Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any one else have this problem??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83595)

davesaysimaturd 01-11-2007 09:57 AM

Any one else have this problem???

Too much milk...

I know there are those of you who would say this isn't a problem...especially if you are struggling with your supply but I really have too much.

DD is 5 weeks old and at night she'll sleep about 6 hrs. After she's been asleep about 4 hrs, I'm supper hard and full almost to the point of engorged. So I pump because otherwise I can't sleep due to the discomfort. When I pump, it takes me pumping 3 oz from each side just to soften...not empty. We recently starting giving DD a bottle (with milk I've pumped) for one feeding a day and the same thing happens. If I don't pump, I'm engorged by the next feeding.

So far I've been freezing everything I pump but I'm running out of freezer space and containers to freeze it in. And is not like I just have 4 bottles for storage. I have:
4-5 oz bottles
8-2 oz bottles
10-6 oz bottles
15-8 oz bottles
And they are almost all currently in use. I don't want to buy more but I hate the thought of just dumping the milk I pump.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

MNmomma 01-11-2007 10:08 AM

Re: Any one else have this problem???

You might want to consider donating to a milk bank or a private donation.

If approved, milk banks will supply a pump and bottles free of charge - I have donated to the National Milk Bank (add .org to this to go to their site). I have also donated privately to a mom with an adopted baby through the MilkShare yahoo group.

I have had an abundant supply too, it drop a bit after awhile and is now more managable.

Either way, donating milk is a way to help other babies who really need BM or preemie babies in a NICU.

Also, I found that using the BM storage bags saves on space in the freezer. I lay my flat to freeze, then store then upright in a larger ziploc bag.

havanadaydreamin 01-11-2007 10:10 AM

Buy some Ameda or Gerber BM bags. You can freeze those laying down and it takes up a whole lot less space than using bottles.

You baby is still young and your supply is regulating. I was like that until DD was about 6 months old! LOL I had a freezer stash by that time of almost 150 oz and I still was pumping enough for DD to have at daycare!

Kimmomy2dom 01-11-2007 10:16 AM

I would get bags, too. I have some I'm not using if you want to try them. :)
She's REALLY young, and I agree- your supply IS still regulating. I would get pretty engorged at night when mine were that old, too. :) Give it a little time so she and your body can reach an agreeable milk amount, LOL and then see what's going on. I'd say 3 months is when the engorgement ended for me, but I have two eating off of there, so you may still have to pump off the other breast when she wakes up. :)

EmnJJsMom 01-11-2007 10:59 AM

My milk supply was like that for the first 4 months. I gave the extra to my toddler. I would donate privately if you really can't store more. Otherwise I would get bags too because if something were to happen that you couldnt breastfeed for a few days, that milk will be a lifesaver to have on hand. With my first daughter I had problems with my gallbladder and I got sent to the hospital, I had to pump and dump for 72 hours after they ran the test they needed. DD had formula almost that entire time and her tummy did NOT react well. I really wished I had pumped milk then!

mom2fussy 01-11-2007 11:36 AM

My supply was about like that for 6-8 weeks (I can't remember for sure...) You might try pumping a bit less, or going as long as you can stand before you pump so that your body adjusts faster. That's what I did.

tararaboomdeea 01-11-2007 12:20 PM

I always have a TON of milk in those first couple of months. I think in a few weeks, you will notice that your body will adjust to your baby's needs and you won't have such an abundance.

It's good to have all that milk on hand, just in case. You can freeze it in a regular freezer for up to 3 months, a deep freezer for up to 6 months.

And donating is a great idea!

MyGlorylife 01-11-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesaysimaturd (Post 619738)
Too much milk...

I know there are those of you who would say this isn't a problem...especially if you are struggling with your supply but I really have too much.

DD is 5 weeks old and at night she'll sleep about 6 hrs. After she's been asleep about 4 hrs, I'm supper hard and full almost to the point of engorged. So I pump because otherwise I can't sleep due to the discomfort. When I pump, it takes me pumping 3 oz from each side just to soften...not empty. We recently starting giving DD a bottle (with milk I've pumped) for one feeding a day and the same thing happens. If I don't pump, I'm engorged by the next feeding.

So far I've been freezing everything I pump but I'm running out of freezer space and containers to freeze it in. And is not like I just have 4 bottles for storage. I have:
4-5 oz bottles
8-2 oz bottles
10-6 oz bottles
15-8 oz bottles
And they are almost all currently in use. I don't want to buy more but I hate the thought of just dumping the milk I pump.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I had this problem with my first baby- wayy too much milk. its either pump and dump or store it. You could try sneaking in some snacky feeding for your babe to lessen it a bit for the times when you use the bottle- is there are reason you are using the bottle anyway- are you planning on going to work or something. If this is the case all the BrM you saved now can really come in handy.

My fav way to store brm... freeze milk in ice cube trays and then pop into freezer bags. The trays I used with my first measured out to each cube being 1 1/2 ounces. Made it really easy to know how much milk to get or leave without wasting it. If you do not have a deep freezer then make sure you are storing your milk in the main part of your freezer and in the back- not near the front or in the door.

If you belong to a moms group or something you could ask if anyone needs some for supplementing- I did that for several moms.

As your baby gets older though your milk will start to regulate itself better. However if you do continue to pump a lot or miss feeding to use bottles and then to pump then your body will continue makingthat much milk because it goes on demand. Therefore if what you want to do is get your milk to not do that then only pump or hand express to relieve the engorgment but not to really pump. Take a shower during these times or just let the milk drain out but don't really stimulate t to keep flowing with pump or hand- kwim.

Anyway it does eventually even out...Minda

BarbieAnn79 01-11-2007 05:40 PM

I have been pumping almost 15 months for my daughter...I had this issue about 4 weeks post after my 4th baby was born I was exclusively pumping because she couldnt breastfeed yet-she was a 27 weeker (1 lb 11 oz) and only taking in a teaspoon of my milk at a time through a feeding tube. I had 1/2 the NICU freezer ful- then they said i had to store the rest at home because other mom's needed the space- by the time she came home at 3 months old , i had my entire chest style deep freezer full and 3/4 of the upright deep freezer full-i used 2 containers and eventually bags to store my milk, bags took up less room... each container/bag had 4-6 oz of milk and there were over 400 of them !!!!. Kirsten came home at 3 mos old and , at 4 1/2 lbs exclusively breastfeeding and i still had to pump after she was done because i was still full. within 1 month of her coming home she had to get tube fed again due to some severe GI /feeding issues and had to be re-hospitalized a few times . I am so glad we didnt toss that milk! We were able to provide a big ol' stash of frozen milk from the min she was admitted - so there was never an issues of her not getting my milk because none was on hand when in the ICU She is still tube fed about 99% of her feeds - has a G-tube now-and as she got older my supply went down-that breastmilk was a fabulous backup! I have used up all that milk and struggling to keep up with the supply of 32 oz through her feeding tube a day- which would have been no prob back when she was a newborn because i was pumping about 2 liters worth a day back then! right now you are making a lot of milk because your baby is so young and you are transitioning your supply to meet her needs .As far as storingyour milk, lansinoh makes great breastmilk storage bags that store really flat- and if you want to continue to use container i have about 50 extra ones from the NICU-some new but most used used but clean (dishwasher safe) ill ship em out to ya free! I am using my milk faster than i can store it up so many of these containers are just sitting here.

TwinKristi 01-11-2007 05:49 PM

Personally, I would just keep storing it and rotate as needed. I'd even buy a deep freezer if I had to!
I had tons of milk with my twins (WAY more than they could take for MONTHS) and to this day I cannot believe the NICU didn't recommend that I freeze it! :headscratch: I was pumping 16oz every 3hrs round the clock and my twins were only taking 1oz at a time on a GOOD day! I wish my milk was that way with ALL my babies but I wasn't so lucky.