Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby Weight? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83867)

Lisa-Rachelle 01-11-2007 07:11 PM

Baby Weight?

Now I don't have a copy of the growth (weight and height) chart at home to reference, but the other day I had two people at Church tell me how small my daughter was for being only 6 months. I was a little surprised, because I always thought she was good weight and height wise.

A girlfriend told me that a healthy girl should be 20+ pounds and 28 inches by 6 months???? :holysheep:

Emma is 17 lbs. and 27 inches right now; and seems to have really slowed down on gaining. At birth she was just teetering between 5 lbs. 15 oz and 6 lbs. on the button.

So, what did your babes weigh at about this age? Does anyone know how I could find out what percentile range she falls into?

TwinKristi 01-11-2007 07:14 PM

Re: Baby Weight?

What did your baby weigh at birth?

Personally, I think 17lbs is perfect for 6mos! They're typically supposed to triple their birth weight by 1yr (8lb baby would be 24lbs at 1yr, etc) but it all depends on your baby.
My 4th DS has always been in the lowest percentiles through his 1st & 2nd year but his Ped wasn't concerned since he is healthy and happy and continuing to grow on his curve. He's currently 26lbs and will be 3 next month but my 13 month old is already 24lbs! LOL

urchin_grey 01-11-2007 07:14 PM

Holy cow... mama, you don't have anything to worry about. That sounds normal to me! My DS is TWENTY months old and is only 19 and half pounds, 28 and a half inches long. He's small for his age (and on a special diet now).... your DD is just fine. :goodvibes:

masonite 01-11-2007 07:15 PM

17 lbs at 6 months is great!! That's about 2 or 3 lbs. more than my son weighed at A YEAR!! (My son has health problems associated with that though...so don't count on that!)

As long as she's eating good and meeting developmental milestones, don't worry about her, I promise. You would know if something were wrong.

My son weighed about 8-9 lbs. at 6 months, so don't gauge by him, LOL!!

debbidala 01-11-2007 07:26 PM

My girl twin just weighed in at 16lbs and was 27" at her 6 month appt, and they said she was 75-90th percentile for height and 50th for weight (for a singleton, so it's not like she's small because she's a twin). Sounds like your dd is doing great!

LoveSunshine 01-11-2007 07:43 PM

Def. sounds like your daughter is doing great! My 4 mo old is 14 lbs and is in the 95th percentile for weight..... my lil' chunkerbutt. :giggle:

moonphishers 01-11-2007 08:11 PM

oh I just love it when people say stuff like that! :rolleyes:

You daughter seems to be at a very healthy weight. You bf, right? Heres some links on average weight gain for bf babies. Keep in mind, too , that the growth charts they almost always use in the peds office are based on formula fed babies... They gain weight at different rates.

HTH

Weight Gain

BF babies Growth Charts

Also, even if she were not meeting the "average" of whatever rule... they're all different. Mine DS is not even doubled his birth weight... but when you start out over 10 lbs. it's hard to do! :giggle:

presleycaedmon 01-11-2007 08:58 PM

My DD was 10lbs 4oz at birth and was only 15lbs at 6 months and is now 17lbs 4oz at 9 months.

allye 01-11-2007 11:37 PM

She sounds fine!

my youngest DD is 20 pounds, and is 30 inches long @ 7 months, but she was also born a big baby (8 pounds 14 ounces, and 22 1.2 inches long.... )

:)

MelDM 01-12-2007 12:14 AM

Agh, why do people say silly things!

Lisa, Brooke is now on the chart for her actual age. If Brooke is on the chart, then Emma is by no means too small!! This is where I usually go to see how Brooke is doing.

http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/babygrowth.asp