Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sanitizing...Baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838889)

beenwaitingalongtime 09-21-2009 02:57 PM

Sanitizing...Baby?

I just started bringing my 3.5 m/o to a community daycare center where I volunteer 3 hrs/week. She's w/ me in a sling most of the time, but spends a little time in a Bumbo where the other workers fawn over her (and of course, touch her :yuck:)
We're new to the paci & I'm wondering how to sanitize it when it falls onto the floor. I'd have to leave the room to get to a sink. Anything I can make/buy that'd do the job on-the-spot, while allowing me to put it back in her mouth?
And (don't laugh) what about sanitizing baby herself? I wiped her down w/ a cloth wipe (the solution has a scant amt. of baby wash and TTO), but am wondering if there's anything I can use to de-germ her hands before we leave. She's always sticking her hands into her mouth & of course, everyone feels the need to touch said hands.
I changed her clothes when we got home, but giving her a bath right away isn't always an option if I've got multiple other kids around.
Between ODD's 3d/week at preschool (though they wash the kids hands a lot, which really cuts down on colds) and this daycare stint, I'm wanting to do all I can to de-germ them. I sanitize my hands every time I touch the kids, but what about them?? :headscratch:

beenwaitingalongtime 09-23-2009 05:52 PM

Re: Sanitizing...Baby?

So...nobody has to deal w/ sanitizing dirty pacis on the go? :headscratch:

rbutterfly13 09-23-2009 05:57 PM

i have seen something before and but dont remember what it is called. i also no there are paci that close when dropped to prevent germs.

tallanvor 09-23-2009 06:12 PM

I would think that something with TTO in it is a good thing. As for the baby, do the same thing for her hands.

katiecornflakes 09-23-2009 06:25 PM

I carry extra clean pacis everywhere we go for the inevitable dropped one.

In terms of dirty hands I guess I'd go with washcloths with a little soap - I'd probably prep wet & soapy in one Ziploc and just wet for rinsing in the other. Sounds like a lot of effort but I don't think it would be too bad. If you CD, I always have a spray bottle in my diaper bag so if you just brought a little soap and some wipes you could probably get it worked out. I'd stay away from the hand santizer on her, you don't want that nasty stuff in her mouth. Good ol' soap and water is just as good.

GL, Mama! :thumbsup:

AbbieJack 09-23-2009 08:11 PM

http://razbaby.com/razbaby-keep-it-kleen.php

These Paci's are AWESOME my ds has the bear and the fish . I love them they close every time you drop them. Which is pretty nifty imo. My ds is 1 and can open it back up and put in in his mouth

I Have found them at albertsons , Motherhood and the hospital gift shop . But you can buy them online to.

There are also wipes you can buy at target that are made out of organic food grade cleaners that are safe for cleaning a paci

http://www.learningcurve.com/product...4?locale=en_US

There pretty great they clean the paci really well

lotsuvlittles 09-24-2009 01:10 AM

Well...I just pick up the paci wipe it on the inside of my shirt then stick it in my mouth for a second and now it's clean. maybe :yuck: but it worked for me, lol
I never worried too much about germs (evident with the paci) and just washed my kiddos with wash cloths or diaper wipes.

Geckmumto3 09-24-2009 12:24 PM

What about a pacifier clip? Helps prevent it from falling to the floor as often. I have had one baby who was a pacifier baby, and we use a clip, and I carry some clean extras, just in case.

In general, I am not a fan of over sanitizing. Kids need to be exposed to some germs. Washing with soap and water is our best bet here, and in a pinch I would use a wipe. Do you really sanitize your hands every time you touch your kids? Not meaning to offend, just curious.

kidpsych2be 09-24-2009 12:56 PM

:giggle:

I cannot help but laugh. Sanitize the baby? Oh you have me rolling, it just sounds funny.

As for the paci thing, I would bring extras and get a clip if you're worried. That's your best bet. Nothing you "sanitize" the nipple with will be safer than the germs it picked up on the floor. Chemicals vs. germs, I guess you be the judge?

On the hands thing....a wet washcloth can do an ample job, honestly. You don't need harsh chemicals/alcohol/TTO for a tiny baby. I use Wet Ones on my toddlers hands now on the go...but I much prefer good ol' soap and water.

I think, at the end of the day, germs are actually good for your baby. They build the immune system nice and strong for years and years of germies. :)

SandraBem 09-24-2009 01:02 PM

I'd say invest in a paci clip and some extra pacis. But really... I don't think it's necessary to sanitize the baby. One thing you could do is limit where people can touch her. Say, "Sure, you can play with my baby! Here, aren't her toes just adorable?" I've got friends who work with teenagers who inevitably want to touch/kiss/play with the baby, and they limit teenagers to the baby's feet and tummy.